Ohhhh Myyyyyyy Gossssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Arrow Ohhhh Myyyyyyy Gossssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

MUGZLEE is not being nice to our brains!!!! Im so tired of him!!!

He will stay outside for 30 minutes and not do a THING. Comes inside and does EVERYTHING! ugh. He's a mess... This is really getting old. I don't know what to do. Is there any way to get him to be potty trained? I know he's young and I know I got him from a pet store my mistake for supporting the awefulpet store. And I realize that he had been using the bathroom in his "home" for so many months but I've had him for a while and he should be better than this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Newborn Pup

Just Go Through the entire housetraining process all over again.

-Katie
Shelties And Afghans Rule!!!!!

Dallas

Miare

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Rocheal, I honestly don't think that where you got him from has much to do at all with the fact that he's having accidents in the house. Don't beat yourself up over that, please

First of all - this may be an easily corrected problem based on a few things. I have helped so many people solve behavior problems and almost always the key is going to boil down to figuring out what is triggering the behavior and then being consistant in replacing the unwanted behavior with the desirable behavior.

OK, let's start from the very beginning. I know he is a pug and that you got him in a petstore.

If you can explain your routine with him to me I can work up a care and training plan for you.

How old is he now?
Are you using a crate with him?
Are you beginning any simple, basic obedience with him?
What diet is he on? Are you free-feeding or feeding on a schedule?
Can you describe an average day to me? (Your interactions, play routines, how often you take him out to potty, his "potty cues", etc...)
When you say he is staying outside for 30 minutes - is he on the leash being lead to his designated "potty area" and being givin a command "Potty" or "Go Potty" ?

What behaviors overall do you want him to achieve?

There are a few very simple basic steps that you can try. Make it fun and be positive. The dog needs to know exactly what you are expecting from him and there also needs to be a lot of positive reinforcement and consistancy.

Let me help you work up a plan. It could help a lot of people in the same boat!

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

How old is he now?
7 months.

Are you using a crate with him?
No. But thinking about it due to the accidents.

He knows how to sit, and does it everytime- but he doesn't always come when I call his name! (errrrg)

What diet is he on?
Pedigree for small dogs.
Are you free-feeding or feeding on a schedule?
Free feeding.

Can you describe an average day to me? (Your interactions, play routines, how often you take him out to potty, his "potty cues", etc...)
An average day he gets played with by Kevin's nephew and neice when they're there. He get played with by Kevin's dad- those two get along great. When they're not playing with him- Kevin is... And there are points in the day when no one is playing with him but sometimes pushing him away a litte because he's so clingy.

When you say he is staying outside for 30 minutes - is he on the leash being lead to his designated "potty area" and being givin a command "Potty" or "Go Potty" ?
I stand outside with him when it's his potty time... When he just wants to play outside and we dont feel like it we put him on the runner. When I stand outside with him and he goes pee and poop- I run around with him and tell him good boy!! good boy!! When he only does one of those things I will sometimes run- depending on how good he's been and sometimes I'll walk him strait to the house. Whenever he does one thing, though- right as he does it I tell him good boy.

Yes- he does have a designated potty area. This is what I was told to give him. Something with about a 10ft diameter. Sometimes he leads (if he looks like he's about to go) otherwise, I lead.

Last edited by Rocheal; 11-29-2003 at 07:04 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Fertile Myrtle

There's a book - it's awesome. Smarter Than You Think - I had both of my dogs completely potty trained by 12 weeks (brought them home at 8 weeks). This book rocks, it's a little different than what you may be use to hearing but it WORKS!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Rocheal, I don't think these problems sound insurmountable.
The first thing I would start to work on is consistancy.

Backing it way up and starting from the beginning with a plan is a very good idea.

I believe introducing him to the crate would be a very good start.
There are ways to do this that are fun, upbeat and will not cause trauma or psychological stress to the dog. Since the crating issue comes up frequently, instead of posting ways to do it in this thread I am going to post my article on crating in a separate thread so the information is there for anyone who is interested in the overall benefits of crating. It not only helps tremendously with house breaking, it helps the dog develop an overall sense of security.

He knows how to sit, and does it everytime- but he doesn't always come when I call his name! (errrrg)

Setting aside 15 minutes a day to work the dog in a structured environment that you set up for him is so important in laying the foundation for a leadership based relationship. Dogs learn in layers. Sit is the basic layer for future commands but at this point it may be time to start introducing new things, in a positive reward based environment.

Are you free-feeding or feeding on a schedule?
Free feeding.

Consider feeding on a schedule. It is much, much easier to house break when you know the dog's intake-output routine Taking him out at regular intervals, not for play - just to potty, goes a long way in letting him know what you want from him.

An average day he gets played with by Kevin's nephew and neice when they're there. He get played with by Kevin's dad- those two get along great. When they're not playing with him- Kevin is... And there are points in the day when no one is playing with him but sometimes pushing him away a litte because he's so clingy.
It sounds to me like he's getting a lot of positive attention, but also sounds like he needs more structure. This isn't hard to do. During play, clear expectations must be set and everyone needs to be on the same page as far as how you interact with him. Again, consistancy is the key here.

...When he only does one of those things I will sometimes run- depending on how good he's been and sometimes I'll walk him strait to the house. Whenever he does one thing, though- right as he does it I tell him good boy.
I can't stress enough how being consistant in this area will definately hasten the house breaking time! Potty time has to be just that - Potty time. Whenever he does what is required of him act like it's the greatest thing on earth! Praise! Praise! Praise! Let him know it's the greatest thing in the universe, because at that moment, it is!! He may be a little confused right now because he may be recieving mixed signals. This isn't your fault! This isn't an area where blame exists. It's a matter of setting up a routine and sticking to it.

I believe you are off to a good start. It can be frustrating when you feel you've "hit a wall". When this happens it's a matter of examining the circumstances, sitting down with the people in your "pack" - and coming up with a plan.

If you want specific information or basic instructions on how to teach "COME", or anything that you feel you want to encorporate into your pup's routine I'm more than willing to help. Did you read the "Why Obedience Train?" at the top of this forum? There really is some good basic information there that may give you some ideas on what direction you want to go in. It all ties in together, the potty training issues are all part of the process. Knowing what you expect, making sure the dog knows what you expect, having a plan and being consistant - (my broken record mantra ) and lots of love, patience and praise will pay out in the long term.

[center]

[
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

totally awesome points Deja.

That is the kind of structure we used with Legend. He was housetrained in about 4 weeks. Time and patience is definately key though.

Puppies all have unique personalities.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Well some puppies just need to be beat!!
Im just kidding..

Thanks alot for all that info, We're going to start feeding him on a schedual and going to do all the other things you told us to do!! I'm going to print out what you wrote so I can always have it (and give it to Kev!!) Thank you so much for trying to help us get this dog in to potty training!!!

And Christi- I'll try to find that book, definately!!!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Rocheal, also just another to tell ya that it most likley isnt that you got him from a pet store...we got Harlie at a pet store, and she was potty trained in 5 days! She was so smart, and only 6 weeks old! She is such a wiz! But Max we got at a breeders, and he didnt potty train easy at all, he was pretty much potty trained by 4 1/2 months. But he still has an accident every once in a while. Before you know it your pup will know what you want.

Tags
pet store, potty train, potty trained, potty training