OK- I'm Busting At the Seams! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Post OK- I'm Busting At the Seams!

I was going to wait until next week to make my big announcement - but I just can't contain myself.

Most of you know that I searched long and hard and have wanted a Yorkshire Terrier pup... for ages! Well, the time was right and it was a matter of weeding through breeders and finding a good pup.

Everything seemed to fall into place this week, and I am so excited! With some help from Jackie (and my mom) who is from the WPB area, where I will be spending the Holidays with my family- I was given the names of many breeders in that area. I weeded through and did some calling....

I found a breeder who lives about 10 minutes away from my parents house. He is wonderful. He's been breeding this line for over 25 years. He has both parents, plus cousins, etc... living with him. He had one little girl left and had turned several people away because he is picky about who his dogs go to.

When I made the call I was leary, of course- but we clicked right away. We spent over an hour on the phone asking each other all the right questions. During our conversation his room mate took a picture of the last little girl he needed to place. I called him back. We worked out the details- I overnighted him the deposit which he recieved today. My baby saw the vet this afternoon - was wormed, and given her first shots... we spoke on the phone again tonight for over an hour!

To make a long story longer..... I'll be picking up my new little girl on Wednesday morning!!! She'll be just about 8 weeks old when I get her. She weighs an ounce or two shy of 2 pounds and will grow to be in the 6 pound range. He said he's never sold one of his pups this way - as he likes to meet the person - take them with him and the pup to the vet for the exam and health certificate. I took a leap of faith (and he did too!)... and in my gut this just feels so right!

Michael, the breeder said that she has a pretty even temperment. It was a litter of 4 or 5 pups (gosh I can't remember what he said) and he was doing some supplemental feedings using Espelac (sp?) because he didn't want to stress the mom too much... He said that she wasn't the alpha pup in the litter, but was right in the middle as far as her temperament. As we all know, you can never really tell when they are so young!
My main concern was how I would integrate her into my existing little bonded pair - Jack and Max. We talked at length about integrating a female. In my heart I wanted a female but thought it would be easier to get another male- we decided that there might be pros to bringing in a female, taking into consideration the breed.

I will be signing a spay/neuter contract and when I provide the spay certificate from my vet I will get her limited AKC registration. This is of little concern to me because I want a pet and never intended to show or breed her. Apparantly, he doesn't allow his pups to be bred because he is so specific with the genetic line. I don't know anything about breeding and as far as I am concerned he sounds responsible by including the spay/neuter contract as a condition of sale.

I will be taking her to the vet myself, in Florida - before I leave to come home. Then of course I will introduce her to my own vet here as soon as I can schedule an appointment.

We've talked at length about feeding, care - what to expect... And I would really appreciate any input from you guys as far as this little breed is concerned - any thoughts, comments, etc...

So..... here she is.... no name yet... some names on the table that I am thinking about -
Please let me know what you think of her! - And all you Yorkie people out there - tell me what you think! Honest critique is appreciated! Her parents are both Black and Tan - her mom has almost no silver or white in her coat - she looks almost black and blonde... and her dad is the same color. She looks a little beefy doesn't she?

Here she is again - somewhere in this pile of newborns!

I have wanted a small companion pup to love, pamper, train and be my own little buddy for so, so long - and finally the time is right. This all fell into place so easily - I am hoping and praying that there won't be any major bumps in the road!
I can not wait to go to PetsMart and buy her crate, bedding, pretty collar - cute sweater - omg - I am going to go crazy! I am going to pick out a christmas bow for her hair too.

I tried to not tell you guys until I had her in my arms - but I just couldn't contain myself!!

Let me know what you think - and feed me all your experiences, what you think I should know - etc!!!
Thanks you guys!! And thank you to everyone who put themselves out trying to help me find my new buddy!! I can't tell you enough how much it means to me to know you guys are there for me - to help me- and .. well... you know!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 01:14 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

OMG!! Congratulations! She is just precious! I can't wait to see more pics, especially sweater pics Merry Christmas Eve to you! I knew the right pup would fall into your arms

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 01:23 AM
Official Thread Hogger

Thank you for not making me wait and wonder any more longer. She is just absolutely spectacular!! All it took was patience to find the right one. Make sure you give that little "sweety pie" a stocking full of toys and treats for Christmas. Oh and I want a pic of her inside a stocking. Congratulations on being a mommy again.

Carrera
__

Panda

Kit 1

Kit 2

The Winner Is.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thank you Becki!!! I am amazed that it didn't take very long at all!

Brenda!! omg! I never even thought of that! Ohhh yeah - there will definately be a puppy in the stocking picture!

Now how about names!???

[center]

[
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 01:53 AM
Miss New Booty

Linda, I knew you couldn't keep the secret!!!! I have been thinking of names today... Ofcourse you can't name a girl *Brad * ROTFL! Ok... you will know more once you see her, but I think she just looks like such a little princess, she needs a princess name!! I really like the name Isabella, or Bella for short.
Also, I like the name Sasha you mentioned, Tia, and ofcourse Bailey! he he! Or Jasmine! I also like the name Pepper. Or how about Holly, since you are getting her on Christmas eve?? Ohh that sounds nice! I am on a mission to think of more! lol! Oh you HAVE to get lots of girly stuff for her!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 05:28 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

congrats on your yorkie! i'm sure you'll love her as much as i love mine. they are very determined little dogs. they think they are BIG dogs! it's so cute.
KEEP ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THE YORKIE SMIRK!! it's the cutest thing ever. whenever you look at them eye to eye, they have the best little smirk on their face!
word to the wise: brush her teeth several times a week. yorkies are prime canidates for bad teeth.
also, there is no need to be too gentle with her. they are hardy dogs and will enjoy and good tug session. mine loves that and she loves to play fetch foreeeeeever. haha.
mine went to puppy class at petsmart and was pretty quick to learn. they are sooooooooooo smart, but can be stubborn. penny gets impatient if i don't reward her for doing a trick quick enough.
she is soooooooooo cute! reminds me of when i got penny.
let's see more pics by wed!!!!!
yah for you, deja!

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 05:30 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i'm going to try and post a pic of penny as a baby. she is a blue/gold, so her hair is diff now.

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 05:36 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

oh well, i can't. i still can't get this pic thing right. congrats though!

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Angry

Congratulations!!!!!:party3:

and she's adorable!
Sorry, I don't know a thing about Yorkies except when I groomed them they were pretty sweet dogs.
You say your a bit concerned about getting a female to bring into your home of 2 N. boys. Why, what could happen, fighting?
I knew I was going to get a 3rd male so I didn't even have to think about it.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 07:18 AM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

AWWW, so adorable. The yorkie is the only small dog I would ever consider owning, can't resist that little pumpkin face! Nothing wrong with small dogs, I just prefer larger ones. Names, how about something like Minnie, cuz she's so small.

Congrats of the new baby, they make the cutest puppies!

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 08:24 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

You were ready to burst, weren't ya?

I agree with Jane about the not having to be gentle (you know what I mean). Even though they're little guys, they're pretty tough. They definitely have a big dog spirit.

And ya know, Deja, I was surprised how incredibly gentle Bach was with Snooper when I brought her home. I can't wait to see how Jack & Max do with her. I've got males and females (big & little) and never had a problem. You're so good with doggies, that you'll have NO problem integrating them.

I'm so happy for you! What a memorable Christmas this will be for you!

~ Jodi ~

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Congratulations Deja!

The first and only name that popped into my head was Noelle or Noel.
Kind of Christmasy, if that's a word!

I don't have any advice (because I get my advice from you) but wanted to say they are fun loving lap dogs. I think they have alot of energy and love to play. Oooh you're going to have so much fun with her!

She is very cute!

I've Been Frosted!
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

OH Linda!! YAY!! I am soo excited for you!! I say you should name her umm... feisty hehe j/k I kinda like the Holly idea or even "Eve" Either way whichever name you choose I'm sure it will be the PERFECT name for her!
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 10:39 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Ohhh, Noelle! What a pretty name! I still like Kia, Mia, Tia or Rio.

I think there is some crazy lady on here that already has the name Fiesty! *running and hiding*

~ Jodi ~

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

hehe

Tags
box trained, dark brown, health certificate, lap dog, litter box, litter box training, litter train, litter trained, potty train, reputable breeder