Okay, talk to me about feeding schedules - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Okay, talk to me about feeding schedules

I know pugs can over eat, and I don't want Gumbo to have a weight problem. But this is my first time, so I'm kind of fumbling as far as the feeding and how to go about it. Figured I'd ask.

As of now, I feed him about 1/4-1/3 of a cup when we get up in the morning - about 10-11am. (This is after going to bed at about 2am, being up at 6am for eye drops and a potty break then back in the crate.) Then I feed him about that much around 3-4ish. Then again around 8-9. So about a cup and 1/2 a day, which is right about where the bag says he should be for his weight and age.

Is this about what I should be doing? What about as he gets older? I know he's young and needs fed more frequently, which is why we're on the 4 times a day schedule for now. How often should he eat and how much as he grows? When should I switch to an adult food? One article said as early as 16 weeks to prevent obesity and I 'bout fell over! I was thinking 6 mos or so ... ?

Suggestions welcome!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

You're doing right!

I'd make sure he always eats at least 2 times a day though. Its better for them. Following the bag is a good place to start, but as he grows you'll know if its to much or not enough. NO one knows your puppy like you do, so let him let you know to an extent.

I have a friend that breeds show pugs and I believe hers get 1.5 - 2 cups a day... divided in two feedings. I'll ask to be sure.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I agree with Chrisanne.... For instance Jessie was fed 3x a day than as she began to eat more in the mornings I noticed her not wanting to eat at noon, so now she is fed 2x a day and I try to feed her at night at least 3-4 hours before bed time this helps her from going poo in her kennel (she had a big problem with that).
You will learn with Gumbo and I'm sure he will teach you wonders

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

You are doing great Jade! Most experts would say to feed multiple meals throughout the day while he is very young, which you are doing. Eventually, like posted above too, he may not need that many meals a day. And I have read over and over that you dont need to feed puppy food very long at all. Some that even said not at all...but I did feed puppy food until about 5 or 6 months with both of my dogs. Max was gaining very fast with puppy food...and even on adult food now, he is still growing, just a little slower now. My two eat two times a day now, once early in the morning around 7am and also around 5pm and they seem to do great with that. But yep, as pups they ate a couple more meals a day.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:20 PM

I feed all three dogs when I get up in the morning about 1 1/2 cups each and at our dinertime they get fed another cup. The puppy (1 yr old now) we feed three times a day and he gets less than the other two because he is a smaller dog.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:57 PM
I'm a Closet Nose Picking Instructor

We fed Nestle and Syrcha twice a day and leftover/not eaten food was removed. Couldn't tell you how much since it's been so long. They always seemed to get plenty of treats during the day though.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I started off feeding Dante 3 times a day. The went down to 2. He started to get weird around this spring, not being hungry, acting shy around his dish, like I was forcing him. Wouldn't eat for a couple days. Now I feed him once a day, and he ALWAYS eats. He has no energy or wieght problems. I would have liked to keep him on 2 feedings, but it didn't work for him. You will learn his habits and preferances. So far you seem to be doing just fine!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:20 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

For puppies I would feed 3 times a day but as an adult I would feed only twice a day.

~ Jodi ~

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I know alot of people disagree about this but I have never done set feedings with my puppies. I fill their bowl and monitor how much they eat and when they eat it. I think of it like this: If I'm hungry I'll eat. If human babies are hungry and want to be fed, do we make them wait? Nope, we let them eat. I have never had a problem with puppies overeating. I have noticed in the past when my friend had a puppy on a set schedule the puppy would gobble down the food and then puke 15 minutes later.

Riley will go to her food bowl and eat a little bit and then play. A couple hours later she will eat a little more then play some more or nap. If she does become overweight then I might rethink the scheduled feedings, but it seems to be working out so far...as it did with my other puppies.

I have always been told to feed puppy food until they are 9-12 months.

I feed my adult doberman once a day. She will eat a little bit and then "snack" on the remainder of the food during the day.

Rhonda

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Newborn Pup

I'm with Scarlette on this one. When Harley was 3mths old, I would feed him on a set schedule, once in the morning and once in the evening and a little bit in the afternoon. I noticed he just gobbled the food down without even coming up for air. I think it was because he came from a shelter and he was afraid his food would be gone if he left the bowl alone. Eventually I started noticing that he became more patient when eating his food and he would deviate from his feeding patterns. Sometimes I would fill his bowl up and he would take a few bites, go take a nap, go play and then come back an hour later and finish it off. I adjusted his feeding, figuring maybe he wants to eat at a different time in the day but the pattern continuted. He would eat at his own pace.

So what I do know is fill the bowl up with a cup of food in the morning. He'll eventually finish it off by afternoon at his own pace. Typically takes a few bites here and there and if he's really hungry he'll finish off the entire bowl. I don't refill it until dinner time in the evening, around 5-6pm. He does the same thing at that time and he's usually done eating by 8pm. This gives him plenty of time to still go out and poop before going to sleep.

This seems to work for him as he's in his ideal weight at 26-27lbs and isn't getting over weight. I agree with Scarlette, fill up the bowl, if the dog's hungry it'll eat it, if not, it'll nibble on it till it's gone. That's how we always fed our dogs in our family and never had any problems with any of them during feeding time.

Mario
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I think the feeding schedule sounds fine!

I know with small breed dogs, such as a pug, they say you can switch them at around 8 months of age. I know with large breed dogs, I've heard switch them at about a year and a half.

With Harley we fill up her bowl and it takes her a while to finish it. When she does, we fill it up one more time. Sometimes I think the recommended feeding amount is a little much, but she's a very active dog and she doesn't seem to gain anything.

Karen

[

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:26 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Hey Scarlette, I free feed my two little ones. Manto is on a schedule and will remain on one though. But when Tito was a puppy he was on a schedule for potty training purposes (much easier to train when they're on a feeding schedule) but once he had that down, he was switched to being free fed.

~ Jodi ~

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

That is an interesting idea, Scarlette. I have never done that with young pups, just older ones or adult dogs.

My Aussie, Myrl, will not eat himself sick. So he is allowed to eat whenever he pleases. Food is always kept in his bowl. He's a nibbler, really. Set feeding times do NOT work with him. Now my AuCaDo, Levi, came from a bigger litter, and seemed frantic about eating his share. At first, he would grab a mouthful and run away, hide, and eat it. Then when he got brave, he'd stay at his bowl and inhale all of it. He almost never got sick as a result if his inhaling the food, but I could not trust him around a full bowl all day. He once ate his bowl, snuck off and stole Myrl's bowl and ate two bowl fulls. Then he got REAL sick. If we refilled his bowl, he'd eat and eat and eat. So I had to do set feedings with him, much as I did not like it.

I am not sure if at this time I would feel comfortable keeping a full bowl around a young pup all the time, though. Hmm.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:31 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I agree that set schedules probably make house breaking easier but I've been pretty lucky. When I have a new puppy it seems like I'm taking them outside more than anything. If they eat, drink, wake up from a nap, sneeze, look at me funny then they're going outside to go potty!

I think the thing to do is try different things and find out what works best for you and your puppy Jade.

Rhonda

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

That I'm going to do. My mom free feeds Toby and it works well for her. I haven't been picking up the dish if he hasn't eaten all the food unless it has wet food in it, so I guess I'm not totally feeding on a schedule.

Scarlette, I've been outside more in the past 3 days than I have in weeks!

Stephanie

Tags
breed dogs, food bowl, potty train, potty training, puppy food, wet food