Photos! OMG, I am appalled. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

OMG, I am appalled.

I haven't seen my dog in 2-3 weeks due to personal reasons. I go and see him yesterday and I am so sick to my stomach! He has open sores all over his face, scabs all over his body, hair loss, and bumps everywhere. Apparently he has been scratching and biting himself ever since shortly after I left. Of course everything goes wrong when I leave... I ended up bringing him into the vet myself today, after my ex decided to change his mind about taking him in. The vet says he has allergies, which has flared up in this season, and has now turned into a secondary infection, which is what all the bumps on him are. So his allergies make him itch and the infection is very itchy also. So he just scratches constantly and is hurting himself. $189 at the vet, and he has 5 different medications he needs to take, and special shampoo that he needs a bath with every 4 days. Which he is not going to like, he hates baths lol. So i once again have to leave my trust in my ex to give him the medicine, which he swears he will do... I wish I could take my dog, I love him so much, but I can't until November.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Hello Earthling

Poor baby.

Could you maybe ask a friend to care for him for the time being ?

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I really don't have any friends that could take him in for now. At least none that are willing to, because of his breed. Which is ridiculous... he is the sweetest dog ever. But, to each his own...

I'm sure that there is only a 1% chance that my ex WONT give him the medicine. He just didn't want to pay for him to go to the vet. Which is fine, because he is my dog. My ex loves the dog, but he is mad that he agreed that the dog was only mine and that I could take him whenever I wanted, and he would watch him until then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Aww poor baby, I hope he's feeling better soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

at least your ex is willing to keep him until then. Some wouldn't be.

sorry you are having so many issues.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Aw, I'm so sorry! I also wanted to mention - he's absolutely gorgeous regardless.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry! Poor Poker I hope he gets better soon. He's such a beautiful dog when he is healthy and his fur is nice and shiny.

It's really sad how some people just don't like any pit bulls.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww! Even all scratched up he's a cutie! He has the saddest expression in the pics, though. Shannon, I wish you weren't having such a rough time. Hang in there, things will get better for you! *hugs*

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Aww poor baby, I hope he's feeling better soon!
Me too! He has a follow up appt in 2 weeks to see if there is any change in his condition, if it doesn't get any better by then, he is going to have to have some stronger allergy meds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
at least your ex is willing to keep him until then. Some wouldn't be.

sorry you are having so many issues.
I know, I am lucky that my ex agreed to watching all the animals until I can take them. Although a lot of my rats are gone now I found out... so I have been pretty depressed lately about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Aw, I'm so sorry! I also wanted to mention - he's absolutely gorgeous regardless.
Thank you, I think so too. Its just sad to see him scratching constantly when there's not much I can do about it! The vet warned me that this may be a reoccurring thing every year, and that next year we can do an allergy test to find out exactly what he is allergic to so hopefully I can keep him away from whatever it is. Hopefully it's not grass... lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
I'm so sorry! Poor Poker I hope he gets better soon. He's such a beautiful dog when he is healthy and his fur is nice and shiny.

It's really sad how some people just don't like any pit bulls.
Thank you, hopefully he will be better within a month. We'll know if the meds and steroids and medicated shampoo that he is on is working within 2 weeks.

Ugh I know, most people are TERRIFIED of Poker when they see him, and he is a glutton for attention... especially if someone ignores him or yells at him (i have no idea why, but it just makes him try harder). People at the dog park yell at him and tell him to "go away" and snatch up their dogs or kids. He'll still just stand there drooling and wagging his tail. One lady grabbed her 5 yr old daughter and jumped on top of a picnic table at the dog park once and was trying to hit my dog with one of those plastic things that throw tennis balls really far for dogs to chase. He just jumped up on the table with her... I guess she thought she was safe up there? haha. I just let him bug people there, because if they don't like it, they can stand outside the gate of the dog park.

Besides... he's ALWAYS the one getting beat up by dogs when we go to the park, because he is not really submissive, but not really dominant either, so he always gets picked on. He just gets scared and lays on the ground and wimpers... A dachshund took some good size chunks out of his nose a few months ago. >.>
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvPets View Post
Aww! Even all scratched up he's a cutie! He has the saddest expression in the pics, though. Shannon, I wish you weren't having such a rough time. Hang in there, things will get better for you! *hugs*
I know, he looks depressed in the pics, I noticed that too, haha. But his personality really hasn't changed at all, he was just napping and I woke him up to grab some pics haha.

Thanks Mandy I know things will be so much better for me and my animals in a few months. I feel terrible about the whole thing, but there's not much I can do right now. Which is what KILLS me.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and here's some pics of him a few months ago, before these allergies flared up. So everyone can see what he looks like normally, with no bloody face or hair loss lol.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

AH he is gorgeous! His fur is so shiny! I'm sure he will be back to normal in no time, and happy as can be when you are able to take him back!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Beautiful!! He looks so happy

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow!!! You can tell you give him the very best care!! He's so healthy looking!! What a sweetie!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

WOW what a wonderfuly gorgeouse dog. Sorry you had to see him like that. I wish you the best. Oh the fleas here were bad and my 2 long haird females I found out this year were allergic to flea's before they were never as bad I coudl boom the house and they would be right back the next day oh it sucked being out side this year becuase your legs would be black with them. The only ones that did not get any fleas on them were the rats. mice and other pets jsut the dogs and the 2 females very little on my short haired males.
At 1s when I seen him he looked like he was in a fight. I love pits. If I lived closer I would have taken him for you and watched him. he is so amazing. Is he a grey or silver and white? or is that considered blue?
Can I ask why you cant have him know? and what happened to your rats why are most of them gone know. do you mean they left as pets or they are gone as in relised or for food?
Not to pry you dont have to answer if you dont want to i will admit you have me couriouse. I have a couple xs that are still friends and none of them would look after any of my pets. so kudos to him. I wish you luck and hope you get your puppy all better. I'm shure all things will be better once you can have him again.
Diamond
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Diamond01-
Oh gosh, I absolutely hate fleas. Where my dog is staying right now, they don't get fleas there because it's in the mountains. I'm sure he is probably allergic to fleas too though, he seems to be allergic to everything. lol.

Poker is considered blue.

Why I can't have him now? Because I just left my abusive husband finally. I'm staying with my dad in an apartment, where they don't allow any cats or dogs. After our (mine and my dad's) court trial in November (for something completely unrelated to all of this) we will be able to get a house. My dad loves Poker as much as I do, and is willing to get a house just so we can have him. We just can't do it until November when he is through paying his lawyer an arm and a leg every month.

What happened to my rats? Well, when I left my ex, I had to leave all my pets behind. He doesn't think of all the rats as pets. I think there are only 6 or 7 that he actually likes. He was overwhelmed by how much work it actually requires to care for about 110 rats, and right now, the 50 something babies that we had, are almost 2 months old. So they are not just laying in a pile anymore under their moms, like I think he expected. He got angry one night about how the rats had "taken over the guest room", and killed a lot of the males that I had kept as pets because they "aren't good for anything" as he put it. To him they are all just snake food eventually, except for the couple that he has already bonded with. I got so angry when I found out what he did... because those were the rats I was planning on going and getting the other day. Now they are just in the freezer, and I didn't even know until it was too late. I've been so torn up about it. Thinking that maybe I shouldn't have left, then everything would have been fine. I have been second guessing my actions in leaving, but everyone has reassured me that I have done the right thing for me, which is what matters in the long run. I am sad about the rats that are gone forever... but I couldn't stay there and let him hurt me anymore.

It just kills me, because my pets ARE my life, and I hate leaving them behind like this.