OMG! I am getting a service dog!! - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 06:15 PM

She is darling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 08:04 PM
Princess in Waiting

Pretty as Princess!!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 12:15 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hey Misty, did this ever pan out?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Well still don't have her. Last I heard which was right before Christmas was that they were polishing her up on her final training stages. So we'll see.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Wow, well I got a PM from Sharon asking about what ever happened with the service dog.

It wasn't good.

Di moved in and all seemed well. There is a 3 day move in time. After the first day she got diarreha just from the stress of being in a new home.
It got worse, and so we tried to give her a chewable immodium in her food. As my mom was moving her bowl, Di snapped in moms face. Scared us both... but I thought ok... just a little food aggression. That can be worked on. I tried to keep my hopes up. I had noticed other signs of aggression such as her barking and snarling at my little brother from her crate.
Also she needed a LOT of training work. She didn't seem very polished. I couldn't even work in my bedroom with her or get her to do anything due to the chins. And I couldn't get her to do anything if there was ANY distractions. She also acted as if she had never seen a cat before and wanted to tear them up! I had to keep her leashed to my chair.
The final straw was my brother walked in my room while Di was leashed to my chair. She was laying beside me. As soon as he touched my chair, she jumped up from a down positon and bit him! Fortunately he pulled away fast enough to not break skin. But if he hadn't she would have latched on!

I of course was bawling my head off... I called the trainer and told her to come get Di first thing in the morning. I was so depressed I was sick for a week.

There is a wonderful ending to this story... but I have to leave work right now... so I will come back and tell y'all what happened.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:10 PM

Aww c'mon that was just rude to leave us in suspense like that!! I'm sorry Di didn't work out in your home, I can't wait to hear the happy ending though!
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:30 PM

I cannot wait to hear the happy ending. I am sorry it didn't work out with Di I knew how bad you had wanted her. Cannot wait to hear the happy ending, have a good night at work.
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:34 PM

Oh man....the suspense.......
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 04:32 PM

sounds like you had a poor experience, i'm very sorry. hope things are looking better.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Ok heres the end to the story...

Becky the trainer felt horrible what happened with Di. She wasnt Di's trainer, but she was working with her for the "in home" training. Becky said that she would do everything in her power to make things "right". And that she had another dog in mind. I told her I just didn't think I could go through all of this let down for a 3rd time. But she said, "will you at least meet this dog?" so I said fine.

The next week Nellie came. Nellie is a pure bred yellow lab. Nellie is a bit different... she was donated to the program by a lady that trains dogs for obedience competition. She had gotton a divorce and Nellie was her husbands dog. Don't ask me why the husband didn't take her. But he didn't and it hurt the lady too much to see Nellie everyday cause she reminded her of her husband. This lady primarily raises and competes wiemeraners.
Nellie has won a couple obedience titles and ribbons. So she came into the THSD program already well trained.

She was in foster training care when I met her and learning some of the "service dog" cues and commands. Johanna the foster home said she is a quick learner. Becky said Johanna is their best foster home trainer and worked with another service dog company raising pups as service dogs before joining THSD.

I fell in love with Nellie in the instant I met her. There was something different about her in comparison to the other dogs. Something in her eyes. She was truely an angel! Just within the time she was here she first off totally ignored the chins, cats and any other distractions. She picked up her leash and gave it to Johanna, she opened the fridge, etc. They told me I'd have to wait a month to get Nellie.

I have now had Nellie 2 months. She is a Godsend and proof that everything happens for a reason. I wasn't meant to get those last two dogs so I could get a wonder angel like Nellie. She retrieves for me if I drop something. Most of the time without even a command. If she sees me drop something (nearly no matter what) she will pick it up and give it to me. Even my glasses without a scratch. She goes and gets my mom for me when I am laying in bed. etc. We are still doing in home training. She just now started being able to come to work with me. And we are slowly moving up to more and more public training.

Here are a couple of pics of Nellie!!!!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Another...

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

last one... for now !

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:01 PM

That is great that you finally got your dog, she is a beauty.
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:12 PM

Aww, that was a wonderful ending! I'm so glad you and Nellie got each other! She is beautiful too
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 08:27 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Thumbs up

Wow, such a great ending to what sounded like a nightmare ... I've always believed that everything happens for a reason, and it sounds like your little angel proves it. Congrats, I hope everything continues to work out for you and Nellie.
She's beautiful !

Sharon

Tags
pure bred, siberian husky, yellow lab