Opinions please? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Opinions please?

My parents have a black and tan Pomeranian named teddy bear. Well they estimate him at 9 yrs...we think he's older because he has more problems than our other two poms that ARE 9. (like more signs of aging )
What we need help with is he had a bad tooth and had to have it pulled 3 weeks ago and he doesnt seem to be recovering well
he's loosing hair, 'forgetting' things like when we feed him (morning and night) with the others he looks in his food bowl and walks away! he usually gobbles his food up! so we thought we'd make it soft cuz it was too hard and that doesnt help, we have to slowly feed him his food encouraging him he wants it. so he's loss about 1lb in 3 weeks...he also has more eye 'goop' in his eyes that we have to wipe out We're really worried and he has a vet appt. next thursday (after the 1st) and was at the vet Dec 18th because when he barks, he squeaks/yelps they cant find anything wrong w/him NOR can they make him yelp at the vet by doing various things to see if they can find the problem
i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas or thoughts? we're at a loss and hope that when he goes to the vet thursday January 3rd and do blood work they find something that can be treatable but my step-mom is worried that he might have a brain tumor or kidney probs? i have no idea but i miss our "normal'' Teddy Bear! he's just not himself!
(thanks for reading this...i'll try to get online tomorrow to read replies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

I hope he will be okay!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

hmmm, I don't know what it could be.. Your step mom could be right then again it could be an infection in his mouth from getting the tooth pulled who knows.

I hope all works out ok though

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Did they put him under anesthesia for the tooth pulling? 3 weeks is a long time, but my elderly dog didn't do well after the anesthesia when we had his teeth pulled. Maybe there are other bad teeth? Louie had a couple of bad teeth that were all pulled, but before they were pulled he had a loss in appetite. If he's losing weight, I would try feeding him some gravy so he at least gets something down. When Louie was refusing food we put gravy in a turkey baster and squirted it in his mouth. Is Teddy drinking alright? If you gently grab the skin on the back of his neck does it stay up after you release or does it go back down? If it stays up this could be a sign of dehydration. Smaller dogs can become dehydrated quickly. I hope your vet can figure out what is going on. You can also try tempting him with some soft dog food with gravy on top. He may need something extra soft, so don't be afraid to use the blender to break it down further. You can probably add extra gravy to make it runnier.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 06:32 PM

i dont know if it can happen to dogs but in humans if the opening does not heal shut properly it creats a dry socket and its EXTREMELY painful i too could not eat and i had sinus problems with i. if it can happen in dogs sinuses are very close to the eye and can cause problems there too. it doent happent to many people or dogs im sure. but mention it to the vet and they may not have yet come across it to even think its a cause. but anythings worth a shot when it come to a sick family member
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Well i'm back at my apartment in missoula so i will not be seeing him on a regular basis but we have been feeding him his food with milk til its soaked and soft to help him eat it AND give him some fat to gain weight. he has been keeping himself hydrated too.... we just have to wait til the vet appt. because we called and asked if we should bring him in sooner and long as he eats, drinks and poops and gets around we just wait for the appt.
Thanks for advice everyone! i'll keep this thread updated as i know more
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 10:07 AM

Good Luck with Teddy Bear, poor guy!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I was wondering if the gum where the tooth was pulled got infected or if there were other teeth that needed to be pulled. Poor old guy.
Good luck!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Well i just got an update from my parents and he's not doing so well.... he's been 'hunched up' in the back end and wouldn't even lift up his tail and wag it He's just been laying down and sleeping so they fear he could be leaving this world i'll keep you updated
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

My step-mom just called me and teddy bear's vet appt. did not go good

They didnt do labs because they were listening to his lungs and said they sounded raspy so they wanted to do an xray to check for phneomia so my stepmom agreed.
they found cancer!

i'm so sad right now!!!

and so my parents are gonna keep him comfortable on baby asprin and keep feeding him til we make a decision.... I said we should put him down cuz he's suffering and they agree.... He seems to feel alot better w/the asprin my parents said but i'm sure he'll keep going down hill so we'll def. be putting him to sleep....just a matter of when......it will prob. happen next week.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:42 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh Tara! I am so sorry!!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Leo

((HUGS)) I am so sorry, our dog Ed went to the rainbow bridge on November 6 after a year long fight against cancer. It was truly one of the hardest things I have ever experienced and I really feel for any family who has to make such a difficult decision.

I am so sorry to hear this news... cancer sucks.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm very sorry.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am so sorry

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

Oh Tara I am so sorry...

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

Tags
dog food, food bowl, pet owner, teddy bear