Our dachshund has rear leg paralysis. Advice needed please. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Our dachshund has rear leg paralysis. Advice needed please.

We have a 6 year old dachshund mix.. Here is a brief history.. About two months ago he woke up unable to walk good. My wife thought he had a stroke. We carried him outside to go potty and his back legs were just slipping out from under him.. He was still somewhat able to use them but not able to hold himself up. While we waited for our vets office to open we were looking at him on our couch. Pressing certain areas to see if anything / anywhere hurt. He never yelped at anything.. Then my wife seen what looked like a lima bean coming out from his neck.

We got him to the vet the minute they opened up and they immediately thought it was his back (common in dachshunds). They said the thing we found was a tick. They removed the tick and gave him a steroid shot. He was 100% within 4 hours. We thought it was very strange that the tick wasnít the cause as we read it was able to cause temporary paralysis. They didnít do any x-rays or anything.

Now, this past weekÖ Wednesday he started having trouble getting up stairs.. We took him to a different vet and he said he thought it was a swollen disc and gave us anti inflammatory pills (non steroidal). He said he should be better in a day.. The next day he did seem 100%. We took him on Friday over my parents for a picnic and he still seemed to be fine..

Saturday he woke up and it was just like 2 months ago.. He couldnít barely use his rear legs again. We called the vet we had just taken him to but they were closed. We left a message but didnít hear back from her. We had a busy day Saturday and when we got home Saturday night we decided to take him to an emergency 24 hour vet.

The vet took x-rays and didnít see any disc problems but he said he still felt that is what it was. That x-rays donít always show disc problems. He gave us all our options which included transporting our dog that night to an emergency place where he would get back surgery ($3,000 - $4,000) and that the post op care would be very tough. We couldnít do that option so the next thing was to give him a steroid shot and then pills every 12 hours.. That is what we did.

Sunday he showed no signs of improvement.. We were very heart broken and figured that when we went to the vet on Monday he would tell us there was nothing more we could do. Well we went to the vet yesterday and he said he wasnít ready to give up on him yet (which was a huge relief to us). He said he has seen dogs come back from this and said that he reacted to him probing his feet (which the ER vet said he did not do on Saturday night). He said to keep him in a cage for 1-4 weeks so he canít move and aggravate anything.

Iím not really sure what advice I am needing.. We just arenít ready to let him go at such a young age and with him being perfectly healthy besides this. Hopefully he will start to regain mobility in his legs.. Iíve seen on TV before some type of cart that has wheels on it but Iím not sure if this would apply to him or not..

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Buddy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Hello Earthling

Awww...I can offer any help but I hope this all get solved soon and the best for you and your dog.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

First: Don't let him go up or down the stairs. It is really dangerous for a dachshund and very hard on his back. If he's been doing this for a while it could be the reason he's having trouble

I know of several dachshunds who have slipped discs and lived mostly normal lives. Some owners opt to have wheelchairs instead of the surgery.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/wheelorder1.htm here's a link so you can see the chairs. If you are a handy person, you can make your own cart for much cheaper than they charge, or you can have a friend or someone local try.

I know of someone who has had the back surgery on her dachshund. I'll see if I can scout up any people who have first hand experience with the surgery. Hopefully one of them can give you some more info.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

Last edited by marmilla; 08-26-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Okay I asked some people in my dachshund group and here is what they have to say:

"Hi, I joined the group a few weeks ago. I had a smooth haired female aged 4 at the time of this incident. She had been in her Esterous and now post-estrus. We had to go back East, due to my husbands mom being ill. We laft our 4 females in a Kennel for animals. We instructed them that 1 of our females was in pro-estrus and should not be in the yard with any males. To make a long story short.....When we came to pick up our girls, she was put in a cage, we had left there. We didn't see her get into it, so when we got home....she could not walk, run or move. We rushed her into the Emergency Vet Clinic, (it was a Sunday.) I call the Kennel where we left her and they said,"oh she was fine when she left here". Boy were we upset. The Vet told us she had 2 diasc that were slipped and she might never walk again.....It would be better to put her down. I do believe in Alternative medicine, so I called a friend breeder for advice. I used warm packs on her back.
Confined her to her crate for 3 weeks, gave her Arthrane in her meals and a lot of TLC. She only came out to do her business and eat and back to the crate. 3 weeks later she was walking and 6 weeks later running and playing with the gang. 1 yr. later she had a litter of 5 very healthy babies. To this day she is still very healthy. No more litters, just a pet..........Hope some of this helps. I don't give up on people much less my pets......I'm still a Nurse and mom......Marti.

Mst.germain"

"Well.....we have discussed this before on here....and I've
made it pretty clear that steps and stairs are NOT good
for Dachshunds.....especially going DOWN.

There is a site called Dodger's List with all the info anyone
could possibly need. Tell your friend and everyone else to go
check out this site! Read! Get educated!!!!!!!!

http://www.dodgerslist.com/

Cheryl

PS...I wish the dog good luck. I hope it's owners take better precautions in the future."

Both of these people have had dachshunds for a long time and are very experienced. That link Cheryl provided is full of good info.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Here is another group Bernie sent me:

"Besides Dodgerslist there is also a good group on Yahoo called AbleDogs, it deals with all breeds that had gone down other medical problem. [email protected] "

--------------------
~Marcia

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the replies.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I hope something there can help you out. I love animals, but dachshunds hold a special place in my heart. I really hope that Buddy will bounce back. Dachshunds are very resilient little guys. I've heard so many stories of them overcoming health issues. Since he's in the care of a vet, his chances are a lot better.

We're always here for you on here and you can PM me also.

--------------------
~Marcia

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Being a dachshund mom that is my biggest fear. We had a small issue with Frank hurting his back but nothing that drastic. Still I would never give up on him. As long as your baby is not in pain that can never be relieved I think you should try any and all options including the cart.
Frank had to have hip surgery at a little over a year. I told my vet I would have had his leg taken off rather than put him to sleep. Animals are amazing - able or disabled. Trust me. I had a disabled bunny that was the light of our lives - and the happiest little bunny ever.
Keep us posted and we will keep your baby in our prayers.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:18 PM

My MIL's dachshund had to have the surgery. They said they do at least 2 surgeries a day there (MedVet), it's so common in the little guys. He had a cart for a while during recovery, but he has complete mobility now and doesn't need it anymore. I wish you a successful outcome as well, whichever path you choose to help your little one!

Tags
dachshund, paralysis, rear legs