Our New Puppy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Our New Puppy

We got a 11 week old labrador retriever puppy 3 days ago, and I came across this board when looking for dog advice. We bought the puppy from a breeder in Tennesse, so he flew to us in a crate all the way to California. His name is Benny, and he is a labrador retriever.

It's only the 3rd day, and so far things been tough, but I think things are paying off. I think this would be a good place to let everyone know how things are going with him. And if I need help, this place seems like a haven. Right now I'm TRYING to housetrain him, and this is where I need some major help.

THE CRATE
The crate we are using is the one he came in, and we decided to use it as his bed. The first night he wouldn't go in, so my mom and sister had to sort of lower him in at an angle. My sister slept on the couch, and he slept on the floor next to her. Well, not really slept, he wailed and kept her up all night.

The second day, I decided I needed to approach this whole crate thing differently. So I SLOWLY am trying to get him to LOVE the crate. I can get him to go in and out, but it's hard to get him to stay inside. Everyime he goes in I say "kennel up" and then I praise him the moment he walks out. I also got him to quietly sleep in the crate the second night by being really persistent with the crate right before bed. Only I didn't sleep because I was freaked out he would pee in it, so I would out every hour.

We're onto the 3rd night, and I'm hoping things go smoothly. I do have a question though. How long can I keep him in the crate? I read on one of the sticky threads that said 1 to 3 hours, but does this mean for the next 3 weeks this is as much sleep as I can get? I would like my 8 hours, but is this impossible? Last night he slept in it without accident for 6 hours, but then he got figity so I assumed he had to go to the bathroom, which was evident when I brought him outside. Is it wrong of me to keep him in the crate for 6 hours at 11 weeks, even if he is sleeping and has not YET had an accident?

THE SCHEDULE
I'm trying to work out some sort of feeding and potty time schedule, which I've read is also integral to housetraining. I need help though with the timing. How long should I let him eat? How long after should I take him outside? How long should I keep him outside? Should he be going to sleep the same time every night? And waking up the same time every day? What about play time, do I have to schedule that?

This puppy so far wants a lot of attention, and I feel bad when I am worn out and can't really play. He'll whine and sort of collapse out of boredom. I try to force myself to play with him, but it's difficult when I've only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before. He seems to want to play all the time, and I'm worried that every day will be the same. I also have to stay with him every second because if he wanders he eats things or chews things. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to handle a energized puppy and a tired owner?

I asked a lot of questions in this thread, but any answers would be greatly appreciated and most likely used. I'm going to work with this puppy as hard as I can, to not only make me happy but to make him happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 01:54 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Can't wait to see pics!!!
First of all puppies are very hyper and can sleep alot as well. Yes it is a good thing to put the puppy to bed about the same time every night this will help in adapting to sleep time. If you are putting the puppy in a kennel throughout the day while you are not there then it is not good to leave him for a long period of time, as puppies can not hold their bladders very long and the longer they are forced to wait the higher the risk of a bladder infection, urinary tract infection, ect. can occur. If the puppy is sleeping throughout the night then I would just let the puppy be, unless you can get up at least once and let him out to go potty. Now with us and the rottie we found, she went in the kennel last night, and we did put paper in there, which is a no-no because it doesn't help them get kennel trained it only teaches them to use the kennel as a bathroom. That was a ONE night thing only, and it gave her a chance to get used to the paper. Puppy's need a schedule, feeding usually requires 2-3 times a day depending on age, and in small amounts, total daily feeding should not exceed the total amount recommended on the puppy food bag, I personally don't wait any longer than 20 minutes with a puppy to eat, if they haven't eaten in that time frame than their bowl is picked up, now that isn't the time I give them to eat all their food that is the limit they have to begin to eat without distractions sort of speaking. Play time that is up to you, you can schedule several times throughout the day and evening to play with him or just go at it as you please. Puppies need play time though, it helps them burn off that puppy hyperness and keeps them busy as well with still have that one on one time with their owner. After about 15-20 minutes of eating I would take the puppy either outside or place him on the paper to use the bathroom and continue to watch him if he doesn't go right away. If you take him outside I would stay outside with him for a little while to give him that chance to go, then reward him when he goes and take him back inside.
If you start to have problems with the crate you are using that could be because that is the crate he was flown in, the puppy is connecting the crate with the flight, so if that occurs you may want to try a different crate.
There are several people here in PT that can probably give you better advice on what you are looking for, but I hoped I've helped a little.....Deja is the doggie expert so I'm sure you will be hearing from her soon as well Whatever advice Deja can give I would take it!!!!
I hope all works out for you, puppies will be puppies and with the proper training, guidance and love they all turn out to be great dogs!!!
Good Luck to ya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 04:11 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
...as puppies can not hold their bladders very long and the longer they are forced to wait the higher the risk of a bladder infection, urinary tract infection, ect. can occur.
With Seamus, this is especially true! I KNOW he can hold his bladder AT LEAST for an hour and a half, but if he feels like going, he just GOES (and it doesn't matter where he is ... lap, couch, bed ... it's all good).

As for the puppy whining at night in her crate, ignore it. If you give him attention while he is whining, he learning whining = love from human.

With Seamus, during the day I would put him in his crate for 30 minutes. If he starts to cry, I ignore it. If the crying continues for over 15 minutes, I cover his door with a towel. After that, I wait for his crying to stop for a consecutive 10 minutes. If it does, I calmly walk to his crate, take off the towel, open the door, and let him walk out while telling him what a good boy he is and sometimes giving him a treat.

ONCE the crying consisted for over an HOUR. I walked over to the crate, tapped (not hit) the top and said "HUSH" in a very mean, sharp tone. And then I waited for 10 minutes of quiet before letting him out.

So, Seamus knows now that the only way to get out of his crate is to be quiet, which is exactly what you want for the night time. However, your puppy is young, so if he DOES sleep in his crate at night but later on starts crying, take him out because he's probably telling you he has to pee.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 04:28 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
As for the puppy whining at night in her crate, ignore it. If you give him attention while he is whining, he learning whining = love from human.
I forgot to mention that, Thanks for saying it

I also wanted to add that if you have a wound up alarm clock you can place one in a pillow case in the corner of the crate, this usually helps calm the puppy (it sounds similar to the mother's womb).

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

The wind up alarm clock is a great idea Kim. I would find another room to put the crate in at night so he won't disturb you as much. In my experience any time you acknowledge a barking/howling puppy in a kennel it generally encourages more of said behavior. Puppies will take attention any way they can get it... including negative. Try not to reinforce negative behavior.

I'm inclinded to agree on the crate issue. Shipping in crates does tend to give puppies a natural fear of crates. They associate that kennel with the plane ride which is incredibly scary. My Newfie puppy hates his kennel, but will finally go into it without objection. It took a lot of coaxing, and positive reinforcement.

Puppies are high energy when they are awake. I don't really know what to say about him wanting to play when you are so tired. Maybe someone else could play with him. Labs are especially high energy. That pent up energy could become very destructive. Even if all you could do was sit in a chair on a porch and toss a ball in the backyard would be good. Then you are giving the puppy an outlet for his energy.

I wish you the best of luck. Patience is key here as you and the puppy get to know one another.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

First off, Congratulations on the new puppy! I think everyone has offered great advice!

It's perfectly normal for a puppy to cry the first few nights they are in their new home. When he cries just remember that he has just been separated from his littermates and his mother and is now in a new place with nothing familiar around him. That's pretty scary for a puppy. Be patient and let him get to know you and trust you.

I just got a new puppy 3 weeks ago. She is the first puppy I've had that hasn't cried all night long the first few nights. I don't know if it's due to her being deaf or if I just got lucky! Anyway, I put her crate in my room. When she woke up and cried I got up and took her outside to go potty. We did this for almost a week before she finally slept through the night.

Don't worry about leaving him in the crate for 6 hours if he's sleeping. It's not going to hurt him one bit as long as he's sleeping.

As far as feeding: I feed my puppy in the morning. If she doesn't eat then I will offer her food again around noon. She usually eats by then. I offer her food again in the evening but not too close to bed time. I always take her outside about 1/2 hour after she eats anything and I always take her outside within 10 minutes of her drinking any water (she has free access to her water bowl). I usually take her outside every 1/2 hour no matter what and I always take her outside when she wakes up from a nap. It seems we are always outside but hey, we have had very few accidents in the house! It's worth it!

As far as playing when you're tired out....Chrisanne's advice about playing ball with him is a great idea. You don't have to do anything but sit there and throw the ball for him. It's fun for him and no work for you.

Rhonda

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
Even if all you could do was sit in a chair on a porch and toss a ball in the backyard would be good. Then you are giving the puppy an outlet for his energy.
And maybe you'll get lucky and the retrieving instinct will kick in and he will BRING the ball back to you!

With Seamus, if I'm tired and he doesn't want to play with his ball, I get one of those rope toys and just let him tug and growl with it as I just hold it in my hand. That doesn't cause much energy exertion on the owner's part, either.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Newborn Pup

My pup is half labrador and he seems to enjoy retreiving. He did not go crazy about it at first, but he picked up the concept fairly quickly once he was a little older (he is almost 15 weeks old now). I don't have much of a deck and I can't trust him in the backyard off of a leash yest, so I would sit at the end of a hallway (fewer distrations). Throw a squeeky toy down the hall. Kobe would run down and grab it....as soon as he picks it up I would start to hit the ground with my hands and he brought it back. I try to praise him everytime he brings it back and he seems to get the idea. Kobe starts puppy kindergarten in a week, so hopefully we can work on the "drop" the toy command because right now I kind of have to pull it from him. Anyway...sitting at the end of a hall leaned against a wall....throwing a toy does not take too much energy (if your sleep deprived) and the pup gets quite a bit of running out. You might want to find a good chew toy as well...that will help divert some energy. Mine loves Greenies. They are little green toothbrush shaped edible chew toys. You have to watch them to make sure they don't try to eat too big of a piece. I would also not recommend any other brand except Greenie. We tried a different brand once and the green color came off onto the carpet (my wife was not happy).

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, labrador retriever, puppy food, urinary tract infection, water bowl