Our puppy doesn't eat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Our puppy doesn't eat

So we just picked up an incredible little puppy. He is a cross between a black lab and a australian sheppard. We have only had him a week and haven't been able to get him to eat much at all. The food the breeder gave us was huge pellots that he couldn't eat. So we got him the same brand of food just for medium sized dogs, which he should be. He started eating the new food but then stopped shortly after. We took him to the vet and she said he is underweight. She told us to mix the dry food with some wet food but it isn't working. He only eats maybe 1/2 cup a day of the mixed food and it's becoming a bit worrysum. If anyone can give some advise it would be greatly appreciated. We are thinking of taking him to the emergency vet clinic but we're not sure if this is normal or not.

Thanks,

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

How old is he?
How much does he weigh?
What brand of food are you feeding him?
Look at the back of the bag, what are the first 4 ingredients listed?

If the first 4 ingredients in the food contain any of the following: corn gluten meal, meat by-product, wheat gluten, rice gluten, then the first thing you need to do is find a better food.

Here is a website to help with that
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Has your puppy been dewormed? If he hasn't then he mostly has intestinal worms that are taking all the nutrients away from his body, so you should take him to the vet and deworm him.

Adding canned food meals everyday is a great idea, same rules apply ingredient wise for canned foods too.

Don't mix dry and wet, just feed him straight wet 2-3 times per day and always have dry out for him to munch on.

Is he drinking water? I worry about him not eating and get hypoglycemic (sugar disorder) add some chicken broth to his water if he is not drinking alot, and you can also pour it over his kibble.

If he does not improve using these methods within a day or two, take him to a emergency vet.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hey Riddick,

Thanks for the reply. "Gus" is now 10 weeks old. When I posted this question he weighed 7.2 lbs. Last night we weighed him and he's up to 8lbs which is good. We are feeding him Royal Canine dry food. He stopped eating that food but now that we mix it with some wet food he is eating quite a bit better. I will check into the ingredients and get back to you.

He is drinking water though, which is a good sign.

Thanks again for the reply.

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think it should be on puppy food. Not adult dog food as puppy food is smaller pieces, normally softer, and has a different ratio of protein and fat and other vitamins that puppies need

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You can also ask your vet for raw diet advice. Mom prepare raw food for our dogs, they are much healthier and cheaper.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think it should be on puppy food. Not adult dog food as puppy food is smaller pieces, normally softer, and has a different ratio of protein and fat and other vitamins that puppies need
Yeah, our vet told me to keep our pup on puppy food untill he's a year old. Kit isn't usually all that excited about his dry food either, but as long as we don't give him anything else he'll eat it.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Part of the Pack

I agree with the above statements, buy him the same brand in puppy food, and if it's not terribly high quality mix it with a better puppy food until the old food is gone, I did the same thing when we switched from puppy to adult food and when we weaned our lab off the grocery brand food his previous owners gave him.

If you're having a really hard time try hand feeding him. Try putting a small amount of treats, not too much I just break up a Milkbone, in your hand with some kibble and let him eat it that way. This will also help him learn not to be aggressive with food.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito

Last edited by RenishaS; 05-06-2009 at 08:45 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

They do sell a dog food gravy that you can put on dry food. I would try giving him very small amounts of food at a time and see if a smaller portion makes him eat more. My dogs tend to eat at 1pm and 9pm even though I try to give them breakfast at 6am. Maybe he wants to eat at a different time? I have to leave my dogs breakfast out so they will eat it. If I take it back up in the morning they don't eat.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Newborn Pup

Hi...I understand your frustration! Here's my magic formula for picky pups. Oh, first, keep in mind that feeding soft food is not bad for your dog's teeth. Decay is usually a digestive issue/a pH issue.

This is what I do:
Put the dry food in a big bowl. Add water to the top. Scoop in some carnoyum supplement (available at Dinovite.com) and stir it up. Let it set for about 10 minutes and then feed. If your dog is really picky, I highly recommend a "dog gravy" like the other poster. The one I LOVE and so do my dogs is lickochops. I drizzle just a little of this on top of the food mentioned above. Don't mix it, just feed it.

Truly, there's a couple of my dogs that won't eat their food without these in it. I sometimes think that dogs know what they need so they wait for us to give it to them. And, so many foods have so much grain and filler in them so our dogs don't want them. And, some of the foods they do like have been sprayed with palatants to make them smell good to a dog but they are not good for them.

Find a meat based food, more meat than grain. Add the carnoyum and lickochops. My dog actually spins in circles waiting for her food now!

Let us know how you are doing with this issue.

Tags
puppy won't eat