Out of Dog Food.. Again! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Out of Dog Food.. Again!

We've been ordering Chicken soup dog food from the farmers co-op in town, since its the only place around here that has anything near decent dog food. And once again they've messed up our order, or forgot to write it in or whatever, and we are now out of food again, and it won't come in until next week Monday or Tuesday maybe. Last time we ran out, we got some Maxximum Nutrition from Walmart which was actually a semi decent food, but of course our Walmart stopped carrying it! And now only carry iams beniful and ol'roy. So our dogs have been eating cooked white rice with chicken and carrots for the last few days.. Which they love.. but I'm not really sure how good it is for them.. We've been talking about just looking into making all there meals, But most of the websites I've found talk about feeding bones and raw meat.. which I know a lot of people consider the best diet for dogs, but i personally don't like the idea of feeding them raw meat or bones, Especially since allie is so tiny it really wouldn't take much to make her sick. So I was wondering who all cooks for there dogs at home, and if you have any general recipes you follow, Or any good websites on the topic. Do you think the rice and chicken is a good base for now? would brown rice be better? what else could I add to the mix to make it a more complete meal? Also, do you have your dogs on any kind of daily vitamins or supplements?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think rice, chicken and carrots sound perfectly alright, you can always find dog food now a days which has got dry rice in it etc, my dog loves eating boiled carrots, i would keep on feeding rice its really the best base to mix your dogs food with, brown rice could be used its better. You can feed fish as well or turkey, if your dogs more active then all you have to make sure is that they are getting enough carbs and protein to see them through, soz i dont know much but i hope its helped

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

People talk a lot about raw foods because when you cook the meat it takes away the good stuff in it that help keep the dogs healthy. I know it sounds nasty but if you have the money to do it it is better then anything. You just have to watch where you get your meat from, what kind of meats your feeding and how much of each type. Cooking the food takes away the nutritional value which is why most raw feeders are deathly against dog food or cooking the food. IF you want to cook the meat boil it for no more then 10 minutes with some carrots, corn or other veggies and then cut the meat and mix all the ingrediants in a bowl. Theirs a meal.

Forgot to add, never feed cooked bones, even slightly cooked. If you buy meat with bones feed the bones raw. It is really good for them and raw bones of any kind are safe and nutritional.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue

Last edited by angel_baby; 04-01-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have been going through the running out of chicken soup as well...every store here seems to stock limited supply, so we are looking into feeding another kind...its so hard because I live in the country and driving all around just isn't an option, so we have been talking to the pet stores we like to see what they keep stocked at all times to try and find a solution lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Part of the Pack

I give my dogs raw cow femurs from our local grocery stores for special treats. It's one of the few treats that I feel safe giving them because raw hide has a tenancy to expand once it's digested. If you're concerned about the size ask your butcher to cut it into small pieces. Sometime you can find "stew bones" in meat department, it's the same thing.
Make sure there is plenty of time between when you feed them and bedtime because if I give them the bones too late they're up all night needing to potty.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

We went to Atwoods today to get some stuff and found out they have a new dog food brand called Loyall? Ive never heard of it, but the lamb and rice looked pretty decent. They also have Diamond brand dog food, and there lamb and rice looked pretty good too. I'm kicking myself for not getting a bag while we were there. But we were in a hurry and i thought we would be able to run back over there, but yeah it got late. And david said he called the farm place to conferm there food is coming monday.. i hope so. But yeah, im thinking of switching them over to one of the other brands. Does anyone know anything about either of them?

My Furry Family
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Diamond is actually really good, if you go to there site they will send you samples. I don't know about Loyall though, never heard of em

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Diamond manufactures the "chicken soup" brand I believe. Last time I was at the co-op I read the chicken soup bag and it said something about Diamond companies at the bottom. I feed diamond chicken and rice. The best way to find out about a food is to read the ingredients. On my chicken and rice bag, chicken is the first ingredient. I've had good experience with it and I know some breeders that use it too.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:30 AM

I dunno, I don't find "Chicken Soup" to be nearly as tasty as other brands.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Newborn Pup

I don't want to be the new member to the forums who then spams her business...I really don't. But I couldn't pass this thread by without commenting, so I'm going to be vague on purpose and you can contact me if you want additional information.

All I'm going to say is that there are companies out there that have auto-ship programs where you can have food (and other products) shipped to you on a regular basis. You choose how often. Then you are never in this situation where you are out of food!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_baby View Post
People talk a lot about raw foods because when you cook the meat it takes away the good stuff in it that help keep the dogs healthy. I know it sounds nasty but if you have the money to do it it is better then anything. You just have to watch where you get your meat from, what kind of meats your feeding and how much of each type. Cooking the food takes away the nutritional value which is why most raw feeders are deathly against dog food or cooking the food. IF you want to cook the meat boil it for no more then 10 minutes with some carrots, corn or other veggies and then cut the meat and mix all the ingrediants in a bowl. Theirs a meal.

Forgot to add, never feed cooked bones, even slightly cooked. If you buy meat with bones feed the bones raw. It is really good for them and raw bones of any kind are safe and nutritional.
To add to that, NEVER feed raw pork! Adn I've heard never to feed raw fish, either.

I know of Diamond. Diamond is the parent company to a LOT of various products. As someone said, Diamon manufacture's Chicken Soup food, as well as Taste of the Wild. Now. Diamond WAS involved in the pet food recall back in 2007, so it's up to you whether you trust them now or not. I feed Taste of the Wild, and though they specifically never had any of their products recalled, I still wrote into them asking if their food was safe to feed. Diamond emailed me back, and attached a document to proof themselves safe. I thought,"Great! Page after page of convincing info!!!" WRONG.

It was ONE paragraph/5 sentences, that went something like this, "Here at Diamond Pet Foods, we care about the health of your pets. That's why we regularly preform 151 checks on every batch of food we make. Even though it's more like 141 checks before the batch is sent out, and then we preform 10 checks of food safety out of every sample of every batch."

...And that was pretty much it. But for us, Taste of the Wild is our only option for our cats, all other foods contain cranberries, which can result in Toxic Acid Toxicity for cats, DESPITE what pet food companies will tell you, apples can lead to dermatological issues due to the fact tehy contain Peptin and Peptin is an irritant to cats, also the Oxalic Acid in apples will lead to Struvite crystals in cats. And Taste of the Wild is the only food out there that doesn't contain either of those ingredients. Dogs can't digest cranberries, either. They handle it a little bit better than cats, but it's still resulted in death for dogs when exposed to teh Benzoic Acid in cranberries. :/

So yeah, it's up to you whether you can feel safe feeding Diamond. Honestly, my piece of advice would be to call Diamond Pet Foods, and ask, specifically, for what safety regulations they follow to settle any wired nerves you might have about their food.

I've heard of Royal CANINE, but not Royall specifically, let me do some research. I'll come back to this thread after I've found out some info.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 11-09-2009 at 02:09 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Thanks for the information Omahamom, Ive looked at some websites that ship dog food, but on a lot of them, the shipping cost is almost as much as the food itself, which would make a some what expensive dog food majorly expensive.

Also thought i would mention that this thread is kinda old. I know your new to the forum so i thought i remind you to check the dates on posts. Of course its ok to post on older threads sometimes, but i jus thought i would let you know, A lot of new people forget to check the dates on threads and end up pulling up old threads from like 5 years ago

Great Add about the pork too Flickering hope. Alot of people don't know that, but yeah no animal or person should ever eat raw, or even under cooked pork!
Im not sure about fish tho, i know i wouldn't risk it with my dogs, but i know some people who eat raw fish all the time

My Furry Family
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I clicked on Royall's, "Active Dog". Ingredients and critique by me:

Poultry by-product meal(natural source of glucosamine and omega-6 fatty acids) - by products are bad, bad, bad! Poultry byproduct basically means the factory took random parts from birds of the "poultry group", could be brains, feed, feathers...heads...threw them all into a vat, and boiled it up. Ew. Here's an explanation of why Poultry byproducts are bad, from the Dog Food Project, who sources their information from the AAFCO:

"The parts used can be obtained from any slaughtered fowl, so there is no control over the quality and consistency of individual batches. Poultry byproducts are much less expensive and less digestible than chicken meat.The ingredients of each batch can vary drastically in ingredients (heads, feet, bones, organs etc.) as well as quality, thus the nutritional value is also not consistent. Don't forget that byproducts consist of any parts of the animal OTHER than meat. If there is any use for any part of the animal that brings more profit than selling it as "byproduct", rest assured it will appear in such a product rather than in the "byproduct" dumpster."

whole wheat - Wheat is a major food allergen for dogs

wheat flour
poultry fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols) - once again, it says "poultry", so you don't know the type of "poultry" that's used...

brewers rice - no nutritional value, just a filler. You're looking for BROWN rice.

corn gluten meal - I believe gluten gets manufactured into sugar in an animal's body. So...yeah, big no-no.

From the Dog Food Project: "An inexpensive by-product of human food processing which contains some protein but serves mainly to bind food together. It is not a harmful ingredient but should not rank high in the ingredient list of a quality product."

beet pulp - No one seems to know whether beet pulp is good or not in pet food, so I stay away from it.

natural chicken flavoring
flaxseed (natural source of omega-3 fatty acids) - Flaxseed is too harsh a fiber for cats to digest, but I don't know about dogs.

spray-dried egg - Ew, sprayed with WHAT??! Probably chemicals.

aspergillus meal (natural source of glucosamine) - Here's a snippet from Wikipedia(I know, bad source, but it works, and it'll probably disgust you immediately):

"Aspergillus niger is a fungus and one of the most common species of the genus Aspergillus. It causes a disease called black mold on certain fruits and vegetables such as grapes, onions, and peanuts, and is a common contaminant of food."

bentonite - Again, snipped from Wikipedia:

"Bentonite is an absorbent aluminium phyllosilicate, generally impure clay consisting mostly of montmorillonite. There are a few types of bentonites and their names depend on the dominant elements, such as K, Na, Ca, and Al. As noted in several places in the geologic literature, there are some nomenclatorial problems with the classification of bentonite clays. Bentonite usually forms from weathering of volcanic ash, most often in the presence of water."

Yummy....volcanic ash...?

potassium chloride

menhaden fishmeal (natural source of glucosamine) - NEVER trust the word's "fish meal". When a pet food says fish meal, this generally mean it's from a combination of different fish sources. When fish isn't fit for human consumption, it is preserved in ethoxyquin, a cancer-causing preservative, and then shipped out to the pet food industry to use. You're looking for a NAMED fish source, for example, Herring or Salmon.

sodium hexametaphosphate

calcium propionate (a preservative) - This is a snippet from naturalnews.com/report_pet_food_ingredients_8.html

"calcium propionate (a preservative) (1 stars) found in 3% of pet food products analyzed
Chemical. Potentially carcinogenic, antifungal."

Here's another source that pretty much says the same thing:

"Calcium propionate is already widely used in the dairy industry to treat ketosis, a condition that causes the cows to burn a large amount of fat in response to milk production after calving. Calcium propionate is also used in breads as a preservative, since it slows mold growth.

"We now know that calcium propionate enhances energy metabolism," said Mark Petersen, a range animal nutritionist with NMSU's animal science department. "It will make cows more efficient when grazing dormant winter forage."

The new supplement should allow affected cows, primarily 2- and 3-year-olds, to start the reproductive cycle sooner, get pregnant on time and avoid having to leave the herd because they can't conceive, he said."

Source: http://spectre.nmsu.edu/media/news2.lasso?i=452

dried brewers yeast
salt - Salt REALLY doesn't need to be added to pet food..

yucca schidigera extract

vitamins (vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, thiamine, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid), minerals (zinc amino acid complex, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, iron amino acid complex, copper sulfate, manganese amino acid complex, manganese sulfate, ethylenediamine dihyroiodide, sodium selenite)

It lists Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex in its vitamins, which is a synthetic Vitamin K, and possibly carcinogenic.

Overall? Loyall is a bad food.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

^^^^ good post!^^^^^

I feed taste of the wild now. before that I fed Diamond Naturals L&R or extreme athlete!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
^^^^ good post!^^^^^

I feed taste of the wild now. before that I fed Diamond Naturals L&R or extreme athlete!
Thank you.

Tags
dog, food, healthy, homemade dog food