Outta hand - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Outta hand

For some time now Coco has been attempting to challenge my dominance. He does this through yanking on the leash, darting out in front of me on the leash, whining incessantly the minute I come home.....He still obeys my commands inside and lets me walk through the door ways first like always, he might stand in my way in which case I'll nudge him and say "Move" or "Scuse" and he'll move. But this whining thing has been such a problem for some time and NOTHING WORKS. He uses it the minute I go home from a loooong day of work or more recently school, he whines and whines and whines.. I get so frusterated because not only is it UBER IRRITATING to listen to but it means he gets his own way in the end anyway. I take him for a walk when I get home but half the time Im so exhausted and my irritability is all time high that I dont know how to cope with this.
Ive tried ignoring him, telling him NO in calm and sharp tones, Ive even tried to physically tell him no by popping the leash or tipping him. He's 12 years old. Will I ever have peace? Im the only one who walks him -since my sister moved out- and this is becoming too much for me to handle

Stressed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Oh, updation time. I re read the original post and seem to have been in a very moody mood. Coco and I have made up, he's my baby afterall. Im all he has. I have just been having the worst week ever and couldnt deal with anything stressful. It doesnt help to know that the doctor thinks my incredibly bizzare and painful stomach kinks may be due to stress.
I dont abuse my dog-I was just fed up and words spilled out. But so as long as we all are clear--Sheesh
Also, Coco must be the most loyal mutt ever, I can't believe how loving he is to me still. Goes to show the human poison. We have so much to learn from our dogs
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:31 PM
RAT ADDICT

Who said you abused him?
I know you don't abuse him,since I know you and him in person.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

No but when I re read the post it sounded as if i hit him or something and then I felt like I should clear it up
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 08:04 AM
RAT ADDICT

I re-read it and it didn't look like that to me! LOL...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

It didn't sound like you were a bad person @ all...maybe your puppers was just not feeling himself& started acting differently temporarily...no idea,but im glad you guys are buddy buddy again XD <3

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

^.^ thanks
I think he just is reacting to my new schedule. Before school I would normally get off work at 5 and come straight home on most days. Now it's all mixed up! Plus I've been going out on alot of nights and he's just reacting to it. Still annoying but I feel really bad that I was so stressed out about it so Ive been drowning him in treats and toys.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Ah,that could be what done it...but trust me,he'd adjust,we had to slightly adjust when (what times in the day) we walk our poochies thx to doctors appointments& well,their "last bathroom break of the night" had to be adjusted too...but now theyre both used to the new times& are quite content !

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for your so much concern with Coco. Can you consider a training class for him? There he might stress out his energy and learn new things.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Training class is unfortuntley out of the question for a number of resaons. We took him to a group class before and he would not settle down with all the other dogs there so we had to leave. Also, money, his age, and time are big issues to consider. I'd love to have maybe a one on one but I have no money for that foolishness considering Coco is stubborn :p Ill buy treats with the money I do have for him to quiet down on ...j/k
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Newborn Pup

Sounds like your stress and anxiety are being transfered to your dog. You come home stressed and tired, and that is a weak state that your dog picks up on right away. All the treats, toys, and love in the world won't calm him down. They will just reward that anxious behavior and state of mind. Some simple things you can do at home without a trainer are just being calm and not rewarding anxiety from Coco. When he is whining, circling, panting, or just being tense, do NOT pet him and try to get him to calm down. That is only rewarding and nurturing the bad behavior you are trying to get rid of. Re-evaluate what state of mind you are in at that moment, and get your stress and anxiety under control. Just be calm and collected. Wait for him to become totally relaxed. Don't talk to him or say things like "It's ok, Coco, calm down" because that nurtures that anxiety as well. Just be quiet and wait to reward him until he is calm and submissive. Then you can give all the affection in the world because you are nurturing the state of mind that you really want.

Also, when you take him out for walks, wait until he is completely calm before even putting the leash on. It's good that he is behind you, but unless he is calm, you are not accomplishing your goal. Be the calm cool center of the universe and your dog will respond in a completely different manner.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Hmmm, thanks. This is helpful info, I never thought MY mood would transfer t him. When I came home tonight, I wasnt really tired or nervous/anxious myself but he WOULD NOT stop whining. I stared him down and Im not sure Id even be able to display the patience it takes for him to calm down before the leash goes on. I am always doing one thing or another and if I dont take him out right away and go about doing other chores, he follows me and gets in my face whining and whining-which makes my mood worsen. Then I get angry and impatient and try so hard not to yell, tell him sternly to leave the room or lie down. I almost have been giving in to him just being a spoiled, mischevious mutt. He is 12 afterall :/
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Newborn Pup

It would be difficult to explain to you in writing how to take it to the next step and stop the whining, so I'm going to direct you to the Dog Whisperer of all things. It is all about timing and your own state of being at the moment. I am a professional trainer and I have used these methods on many cases and it works every single time. Even on old dogs. You can have a fresh start with your twelve year old dog, believe me, I've experienced it. Not with your dog, of course, but with other older dogs. Simple corrections done right and at the right time can fix the whining and unwanted behavior immediately.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

How so?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Newborn Pup

The corrections are used to redirect from anxiety to a state of mind that you want. To snap him out of it. If you correct right before he starts getting anxious and whining, you are telling him "don't be like this, this is not what I want". So if he is not being anxious, he has to do something else. When he chooses to be calm and relaxed after a correction, you can reward him and let him know that this is the reaction and state of mind you want him to be in in this situation. I wouldn't recommend using this method unless you have a trainer with you who is familiar with the technique and can show you the right timing and intensity, because it is certainly not about hitting the dog to get what you want, it is about a touch that is firm enough to get the dog to look up at you and basically ask "what?". If this is not done correctly, you could reinforce behaviors you are trying to get rid of or have no effect at all.