Paper train a pup - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Paper train a pup

I will be getting a pup here in a few weeks he will be about 9 weeks or so.. Im gonna have to paper train him for a while as we have about 2 feet of now on the ground along with ice as well since its to cold for the pup to go outside,im gonna have to paper train him until the warmer weather gets here.

now will this be easy for me to do and then go from paper train to outside trained has anyone ever tried or did paper train. i have alot of time since i am SAHM i will alot of time to train inside and then outside..

also how long does it normally take for a pup to be trained.. i was thinking about 30 mins after he eat i will set him on the paper to see if he needs to go.. if not then i will try in another 30 mins..should i be doing it sooner or wait a little longer..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My pup just figured it out for the most part. I bought him "wee mats" and then took him over and showed them to him. I would set him on the paper like you said, after meals. Harvey, my pup, usually goes 10-20 mins after eating or playing around. I now know the "signals" to look for. If he starts sniffing around, looking around, or circling, that probably means he's looking for a place to eliminate. If your pup starts to have an accident, pick him up (even while he's doing it) and place him on the mat. Then give lots of praise and/or treats for doing a good job if he does anything on the mat. If he manages to have an accident without you noticing, I used to place the mat where he had the accident and then he got the idea.
Good luck!

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks i think i will have do it every 10 to 20 and see how that goes and just keep going from there.. i cant wait to get the puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 PM

When we got our puppy she was 8 weeks old and there was still snow and ice on the ground and it was really cold and miserable outside but we got her out there to use the bathroom anyway. If you see him start to look around and start sniffing he is probably looking for a place to use the bathroom. And also what you mentioned about checking if he needs to use the bathroom after he eats. If you see him start to squat pick him up quikly and put him on the paper.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Thats what i have been doing once i see him sniffing or what not i normally pick him up and run to the paper its not going so well. but i just have to give it more time i will get this down soon or later..