parasites maybe?? any advice... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Question parasites maybe?? any advice...

hola guys. well, i'm having a poopy problem with one of the dogs. not sure which, though.

lemme describe. one of the dogs has done this 2 times today. i've never seen it before.

warning: a little gross..

ok, you know how a dog poopies in a pile pretty much? well, if one of mine have an accident (or when they go outside) it is a few bigger pieces in a pile...

but twice today, one of them has gone in the house and it was very weird. there were little, tiny pieces of poopy in little collections around the room. there would be a collection of it in one area and like, 2 feet away, another collection. there are about 5 collections total each time. there will be a couple of normal pieces in there, but mostly just little bits. the bits are as small or smaller than a tic-tac. there will even be a collection on one of their pillows/beds.

i don't think that the dog can control this. it seems like it just happens. i don't think they would go on their own pillows. it looks like the dog farts and then the poopy comes out or something. the consistency is normal to wet.

i think it is chaquita because penny's bowel movements have been normal every time i take them out, while chaquita hasn't been going poopy outside. but then again, i have been giving penny flaxseed oil for her dandruff. nothing in chaquita's diet has changed. i called the VetER and they said to take them both to the vet to get a parasite test done. penny is also the one that eats other animals' poopy when she outside. (i know - gross!!) but like i said, her bowel movements are normal outside.

i will take them in as soon as i can, but that may not be until tues. in the meantime, does anyone have any other ideas on what this might be? ever seen it before?

thanks!! sorry so gross...but i didn't know how else to explain it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Most likely, one of them is constipated or has something else going on. Try giving whichever one you think it is about a tablespoon of canned pumpkin. It's high in fiber and can get things moving. If that doesn't do it, I would indeed take them in.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm with Jade on this one...

Hrrm... the only other explanation I can think of would be- one of them is having the accident- and they are both playing with it - dropping it around in various places.

I'd have them both checked for parasites - and like Jade said - canned pumpkin - it's so fiber rich that it's great for both constipation and diarrhea.

Good Luck - that's a new one on me
Let us know what you find out?

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 04:35 PM

Sometimes, when dogs are constipated, they will walk as they are defecating...that is probably why there is no "pile". I hope that it clears up soon.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 04:54 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Most likely, one of them is constipated or has something else going on. Try giving whichever one you think it is about a tablespoon of canned pumpkin. It's high in fiber and can get things moving. If that doesn't do it, I would indeed take them in.
Yup, my chi, Pixie does this often... When she poops (outside of course) sometimes I'll notice little piles... Which are far different than her normal piles... She's been tested for parasites a few times now, but none were found... I'm come to the conclusion that she's been constipated & the cammed pumpkin works great... Good luck & let us know the outcome
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

well, i'm going to take them in on tues. but if they don't find parasites, i will ask if it can be constipation. i'll ask about the canned pumpkin. thank you so much guys!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

ok i just wrote this entire post and got kicked offline...so here it is again:

i took the dogs to the vet about the poopy problem (in another thread). she took a stool sample from chaquita only, cause if she has parasites then penny would have them too. (chaquita lovingly gave her the poopy sample all on her own - on the floor! haha!) when the dr. felt chaquita's stomach, chaquita cried a little. we didn't know if it hurt or if she was scared (she gets all freaked out), but the dr. took x-rays. well, her stomach looked normal, but her heart looked a little large and rounded. so she took another x-ray (with chaquita pointed straight, etc) to get a better view. she said that her heart looked better from that angle but that one side was bigger than the other. she has a Reverse D heart (cause it looks like a capital D). she also saw some old inflammation in her lungs. she listened to her heart and lungs for about 2 min. straight and said it all sounded normal.

we ruled out heartworms since she's on preventative. she said she doesn't think it's serious...just old damage from her kennel cough (when i got her). she said to keep an eye on her and everytime chaquita goes in, to have someone listen to her heart and lungs for a long time.

about the poopy problem...
we could never figure out which dog it was! (no parasites btw). so she gave them both some doggy pepto and sent us home!

sorry so long....but i was so worried about chaquita's heart. hopefully it's all ok. we'll get follow-up x-rays in 6 months.

thanks for reading!

Last edited by Formula86; 04-27-2004 at 10:48 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:01 PM

Oh man... I don't know anything about the heart problem, but I hope it isn't serious & she's going to be ok...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you so much. me too.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh wow...hope everything is ok Jane *hugz*

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:13 AM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

I just saw this. Just to let you know I recently went through a diarreha problem with my lab service dog, Nellie. Well I freaked cause sometimes she eats cat poop, and she has a cast iron stomach. Even when she got into the bag of cat food and ate about 4lbs. didn't even have diarreha. She was not feeling good and had gas for a couple days, but no poop problems.
Anyway, They did all the parasite tests and heartworm tests (yes she is on heartworm meds) and all were negative. But they checked the bacteria levels in her poo and they were a tad over normal. My vet said it happens to lots of dogs where their bacteria levels go wacky. It was diagnosed as Colitus (or intestinal upset). Gave her an antibiotic shot, and sent her home with some tummy upset pills. Next day she was all better. He said its less likely for adult dogs to get parasites. Not that it CANT happen, but he said it is a lot more common in pups. So just thought I'd share!
Good luck with your doggie!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you!

eyesofchin - they did a fecal test. so i'm not too worried about that. i will keep you guys updated. thank you for the support!

Tags
cat food, kennel cough