parenting ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thumbs up parenting ?

So I know everyone raises their human baby and our animal babies diffrently. so heres my question, How do you guys punish your dogs/cats when theyve been bad, like peeing chewing on things climbing on things ect ?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't really punish my dogs, I usually instead encourage the behavior I want instead . Is there a specific issue you're having? As for the ones you mentioned...

Urinating inside: This means the dog wasn't supervised well enough, not let out often enough, or was never totally housetrained to begin with. If not any of those, it was an honest mistake. None of those reasons are the dog's fault so I would never punish. What I'd do training-wise would depend on the individual dog, the reason, etc.

Chewing on things: The house needs to be dog-proofed and the dog needs to be supervised and given more appealing things to chew on. What chews to offer depends on the dog, they all have different likes and dislikes . The most negative thing I'd do in this case would be to say "no" sternly (I so rarely say the word that my dogs know I'm serious, ha) and make sure chews were available.

Climbing on things: Make it impossible for them to climb to wherever it is. More might need to be done but it would depend on the specific issue. This is easier to prevent with dogs than cats/rabbits. I had to re-arrange furniture in my room to prevent my rabbit from getting to certain areas. He can still get on my desk and took a liking to my plant...so now the plant is elsewhere, out of reach. I never punished him or yelled.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Nope no issue was just curious

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Betta Bomb

Humans are a totally separate species than dogs. Once the dog learns the heirarchy they'll become accustomed to the different discipline methods. When my niece was born my sister was living at home so we had 2 dogs at the time. Both dogs knew words like "get out of the way" but not in a shouty or aggressive way and Coco liked to lick Chloe's chin (dried milk and drool) but could be called off in a second.
I know Spezza came later than Aly but it could be a bit of jealousy. Coco was always a little jealous of the attention Chloe received, when she got big enough to play with him they formed a better relationship. As for peeing in the house, as Sasami mentioned it could be training (I know this is no longer an issue for you). As dogs get older they have less control over their bladder. Coco used to do his very best trying to hold it in, but going downstairs he would dribble (thank goodness the home owner was replacing the carpets anyway and said it wasn't a problem). I never yelled at Coco for peeing on the floor, or vomiting, or even somehow moving the 100lb kennel and getting on the bed to poop while we were out.
Letting the dog know you understand him and can trust you in times of accidents is crucial.
As for human babies, when she starts to walk and crawl the dog should know boundaries but also know it's okay to go help her and sniff her. Babies who grow up with animals turn into the best kids !!! (ex: Chloe was scratched by my demon cat over the holidays and after crying briefly she and my mom talked about why he "didn't mean it" and she went right back to playing with him.. Now she's asking Lisa for a "puff ball kitten"!!)
Hm, The cat we had when Chloe was born was a supremely calm and tolerant tom cat. When he was indoors laying down, he was a really good tool for Chloe when she was learning to sit up.. He let her pull herself up on his fur, in fact he purred while she did this!
Illusion the cat came later but Coco was trained by then to keep Illusion out of trouble before he became a problem with Chloe. So I have no offerings there for bad behaviors and discipline .

If we decide to have kids I should hope and pray that Oliver is calmed down, he is curently not a child friendly cat!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

I don't punish Kitsune either. He's too cute for me to yell at or anything like that. Plus he's really sensitive so even just yelling at him really really upsets him. I don't want to risk the bond I have with him by punishing him.

We practice positive reinforcement training with him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
canis lupus familiaris

Depends. If they know its wrong, yes.

Sometimes, just like humans, for whatever reason, someone may do something outrageous.

All of the punishments are different as well. Spyro and Luna have time outs. Loki is very sensitive and he'd have to blow up my house before I put him on time out. Just by saying "BAD" Loki will put himself on time out. Spyro is a typical hound...if he wants something, he won't hear you say no. If he doesn't hear us, he gets a smack on the butt and sent to the corner for three minutes. Luna basically gets reminders that shes not in charge.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Playful Pup

I have read some books about disciplining your pets., For instance, your pet pee or poo in a wrong place don't scold him instead encourage him not to do it again, you can also give him rewards everytime she does it well..

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There is always bad habit and we just interrupt them to avoid developing such bad behavior. We spray water on our dogs whenever they will start to get rough playing.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Playful Pup

I never did use the water bottle much. As powerful as rewarding good behavior is, still something bad has to happen to stop negative behaviors. I use the ''Ah, ah,ah!'' when needed and also denying my attention.

Stepping backward works great for jumping up.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:27 PM

I personally just use "No" or sometimes, when I am unpleasantly surprised, "Hey!" My dogs know that means to stop what they are doing immediately. Because they understand it so well, pointing to or showing them what they did wrong (the pee puddle, the decimated shoe) and saying "No" is all they need to get the message. Classic negative punishment like hitting or rubbing their face in it just seems like it doesn't teach them anything except to be afraid of the person doing the punishing.
I fully agree with the positive reinforcement methods mentioned here. My youngest puppy learned to potty outside just from being taken out often enough. He is kenneled at night, but that is because I don't trust myself to wake up if he were needing to go out or making trouble of some kind. Having him in the kennel also gives him a routine, so he always remembers to potty outside because he doesn't get a chance in the morning to do otherwise.