part-time introductions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

part-time introductions?

Okay, background info:
We have an 8 year old sheltie. Completely dominant female, even tried to be dominant over me but after alot of work and some skirmishes she finally accepts me as dominant - took about 4-5 years but now we coexist peacefully.
I will probably be bringing her up to college with me in the fall since I will be getting an apartment and would like a companion. I decided it would be a bad idea for me to buy or adopt a dog because in 3 years I will most likely be moving to yet another state for college and vet school allows very LITTLE time for anything, and I don't want to neglect the animal. Our sheltie will probably be going back to live with my mom when i go to vet school, saving she is still with us.
So, since I will be taking our sheltie up to college with me I don't want to leave my mom without a companion - she needs someone to take care of her nah, just to keep her busy.
So this summer we will be looking for a dog for her. We used to have a cocker spaniel who was a very submissive dog and they got along quite well, but we gave her up a while ago due to time issues. This last summer we tried to introduce a pit-bull (no idea WHAT she really was) puppy (4-6mo) to her for a couple days. Our sheltie was extremely aggressive towards her. The puppy was very hyper and wanted to play but i guess our sheltie took it the wrong way, this puppy wasn't that submissive.

So, we know we need to find a submissive dog in order for these two to coexist. My mom really doesn't want to get a male, even though they are usually more submissive than females - so we are going to have a FUN *sarcasm* time trying to find a submissive female.

Now the real question, these two dogs would only be around each other during the summer, and some breaks during school for the first couple years. How do we go about introducing them and re-introducing them and such? Anyone have experience with two dogs living together part-time?
What would be the best way to introduce our extremely dominant - stuck in her ways old gal to a younger submissive animal? (OH we're going to try to get a dog thats 1-3 years old, that way its mostly out of its puppy phase and not SO hyper but still young).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

anybody? any insights?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:09 PM

i honestly dont know...i would say go down to ur local rescue and start looking around.... if all else fails bring home a dog and try the intro and see what happens from there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

introduce them outside of your dogs territory for the first time...make it neutral...keep the leashes on both just in case and allow them to sniff and so forth...this is how we introduce new animals at our house...its always worked for us

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 03:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

Both times I've rescued from our local shelter, I've taken the dog I already have up there with us to introduce them.
Leashes, two adults, supervised...all of that of course. They will still act differently when not leashed at home, but you will have at least an idea of their tolerance for each other before you make the commitment of bringing one home.

Good luck!

It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yes i agree with everyone. both dogs on leashes, able adults to physically handle said leashes. maybe take them to an empty park? just dont do it in the home....or the home's yard

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

So everytime I come home with my dog introduce them on neutral territory? Sounds good to me.

There wouldn't be anyway to neutralize a house would there?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Will It Ever Change?

nope

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
cocker spaniel, local shelter