Parvo - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Parvo

So I just found out that my puppy, Natalya, could have parvo.. she ate a dishrag the other day and starting throwing up bits of it yesterday,... i took her to a 24 hour vets last night and they took x-rays.. nothing real noticable.... then they wanted to do all these tests last night but i sure didnt have $400 last night... so i have to take her to my actual vet who will take payments and hold checks and stuff like that.. trying to get ahold of the breeder i got her from to see if she got the distemper shot or anything.. cause all she told me was that she needed rabies shots and nothin else... god im so pissed and so sad at the same time... i know what happens with puppies who have parvo unless you spend like $2000 for icu and medication and stuff.. which i dont have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I am sorry this is a possibility for you. However, don't get to over anxious without a firm diagnosis.

While throwing up is an indicator, it is not always indicitive of parvo. Most parvo puppies have lack of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. If there is blood in the stool, then i'd worry more. Also, i've noticed in my dealings with Parvo that the stool has a very distinct nasty smell.

Parvo can be overcome, and it doesn't always cost $2000. Talk to your vet if your pup does have it to see. I have a parvo survivor. He is 8.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Im so sorry that she is sick. And like Chrisanne said, dont think for the worst. Wait to get the tests done. I know a few parvo survivors too, my coworkers Pit pup had it, and she was so bad that she almost had to be put to sleep, but she made it, and I just asked her how much it cost her, and she said that it was just about $400. So at least you know its not $2000...Im in Toledo, Ohio, she gave me the vets name incase you want it...if its a big savings, it might be worth the drive. PM me if you need the vets name and number.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I agree with Chrisanne and Melissa.... Wait until the tests are done, and if she isn't showing any other signs than maybe she has a bug or could have eaten something that didn't agree with her. It usually doesn't cost $2000 (but can be a bit pricey) for treatment if Parvo is diagnosed.... Hang in there, keep us posted.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:25 PM

I know alot of people that have gotten their dogs through with parvo and they are just fine. If you need some more information, here are a few links on Parvo:

http://www.animalclinic.com/parvo.htm
http://www.pressenter.com/~dvmvis/canparvo.htm
http://nvnv.essortment.com/parvowhatcant_opc.htm
http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

I hope this helps and I hope your dog gets better soon.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

**** dog... well we just got home from the vet... the vet gave her barium last night to see if the wash cloth was the problem.. so she got a new x-ray today.. yeah, it was because of the washcloth that she ate on wednesday.. i asked my vet about the parvo and he said based on the fact that she DOESNT have a fever, and dogs that do have parvo have a fever, and the fact that she is better than she was yesterday indicates that there is no significant evidence that she has it, so he says her eating stuff is a problem... so we'll see how she does over the weekend and hopefully she wont need surgery.. but why the woman last night wouldve said she probably had parvo when she did not have a fever, she shouldve picked up on that, stupid lady..... thank you all for your concern
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I'm so glad it's not parvo! One of my dogs was thought to have parvo when he was a puppy, until easter grass came out of his butt! Yup, eating things they aren't supposed to can indeed be a problem. Make sure she drinks LOTS of water over the weekend to help move that washcloth through her system! If she doesn't want to drink, things can go downhill VERY fast so keep an eye on her. We had a 6 week old rescue come through that had apparently eaten a plastic soda cap and it was stuck...he wouldn't eat or drink and lost weight rapidly! Our vet administered sub-dermal fluids (under the skin..made him look like he had breast implants all over his body) and sent him home to wait for the next 12 hours. Sure enough the next morning as we got ready to take him out of the crate to attempt to go potty before heading back to the vet for a repeat X-ray to see if it had moved at all...he had explosive diarreah! The blue plastic shot outta there like a rifle going off!! I was never so happy to clean up puppy diarreah in my life! We took it and the pup back to the vet just to make sure nothing got torn up in the process and he was fine! Very hungry, but fine. If she can pass that washcloth, the key will be hydration...MUCH safer and easier on her than surgery if it can be helped. Good luck and keep us updated!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

oh she wants to drink water like no tomorrow, so thats not a problem.. we just cant give her too much at one time in case she starts puking again
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Drinking water is a good sign I hope things continue to move along smoothly

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:38 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aweee poor puppy Glad it isn't parvo though....

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I hope she has gotten it out by now! Any updates??

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Well i'm pretty sure shes all better... shes back to runnin around like an idiot, beggin for food, chasin the cats.. i believe it has passed and so has the barium, so yay, my puppy is back to normal (although the cats arent happy about that)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Good for you! It's an awesome feeling when your pet gets better. The worry is over! I'm glad to hear your puppy is feeling a lot better.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I'm so glad to hear it! Sounds like she'll be just fine!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 07:39 AM
Playful Pup

well another happy ending. I love to hear good outcomes. talking about puppys eating stuff. Our Whippit decided to down and icecream stick, one day which hubby left a bit of ice'cream on for him, and after being monitored for a few days at the vet and an xray and might I add around 300 + dollars later, nothing showed up. The vet said the stomache acids could have broken it down, but he really thought that unlikely, I was thinking, he may have got rid of it very soon after he swallowed it, and hubby didnt catch it, But even so, they are our best friends and even though it worked out costly, we would do it all again, just to make sure he was going to be o.k.

]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/shazmark/000_1869.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]