parvo - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up parvo

Just a suggestion....
Maybe have a sticky thread about the horrid Parvo. I brought home a 'FREE PUPPY' and it had parvo. I had never seen a parvo puppy nor did I know the signs or what to do to save the dogs life. Recently before my dog died, he had played with a rat poisoning box so I thought it was rat poison. Come to find out it was parvo. My dog died 2007/2008 New Years Day. It was the most horriable thing that had ever happened to my animals. I cried and cried and when I told my friend what had happened she said "Haley, that sounds like Parvo" and when my horsebackriding trainer found out(her hubby's friend gave me the pup) she said her daughters friend's puppy has parvo and was at the vets. Her puppy lived but mine didn't because I didnt know it was parvo. So maybe make a thread here saying the symtoms of parvo and what to do(B12 shot until you can get it to the vet) for a dog with parvo. And I pray anyone else who has a parvo pup, lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

My dog got parvo about 4 years ago my neighbour has dogs and doesn't look after them they are left out the back day and night and barley gets food they are so skinny and frail.
She bought a new dog home and OBV my dog must of sniffed it threw the fence and she caught it.
My dog was bleeding from her end passage and her front she was crawling along the floor it was the worst thing i have ever seen she suffered alot we took her to the vets and they gave her 18 hrs to live and she pulled threw so we where lucky and yes there should be a sticky because its a horrid thing

x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Omg I am so glad she lived! Yes it was a HORRID thing to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 AM

I def. think we should get a sticky thread about Parvo...I never had any experience with it, but I would like to know about it. Thanks for posting!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

I have seen many neighbourhood dogs round here die and suffer from it its so cruel thing to see

Yes i am very lucky we caught her in time and because shes so small (pom)
we where EXTRA LUCKY

x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 PM

Unhappy Parvo symptoms

manyjumps93, I just had a puppy die of Parvo. And the things he did that were unusual, I think was the early signs of Parvo. i'm not sure. He always stayed by the water dish and he drank water every few minutes and he would sometimes lay halfway in the water dish. He also vomited a lot. But it wasn't a lot. to me it was more like spit up. It was clear. I just thought it was from drinking too much water. We didn't know anything about Parvo, we had never been around it. Then after we had him about 2 w. He started having thick milky white diarrhea. Then he started vomiting. He was lethargic and was running a fever. That was Friday. We took him right into the vet. We took in a stool sample with us. She examined him and because I feed a partial raw diet , she thought it was Salmonella. So she treated him for Salmonella. She did not give him a Parvo test, to rule out Parvo. She gave us some pills and told us if he got worse, bring him back in. Then 3 AM sunday morning we had to take him in he had Bloody stools. the emergency vet took a Parvo test and it was positive. the stool sample we took in showed no parasites. So that is the symptoms that I know about. I'm not sure about what i thought was earlier symtoms. But I thought he was doing unusual things. I will always watch and if that happens again I will talk to a vet and maybe have the vet take a Parvo test. Parvo is devastating disease. And what I have read that the shots sometimes don't keep the dog or puppy from getting it. And our vet said there are no guarantees with the vaccine. Another thing if the vaccine isn't handled right and it gets warm it is dangerous for the dog. And the vets usually have the better vaccines. Through the years we have given our own shots from the feed store. But not anymore. I have found out a lot about Parvo since our Puppy died. There is a homeopathic product on the internet. It is said to help with Parvo. You can find out about it at www.ambertech.com Some people don't believe in herbs and homeopathic remedies. I'm just telling about this remedy because I think people should know about anything that might help with Parvo, medical or homeopathic. I'm reading everything i can to find out more about Parvo. Our little guy died the Wed after that Sunday morning.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

well now you cant have a puppy under 1 years old for atleast 5-7 years. See my dog had a parvo shot(the one that was almost 1 when I got Santa(the pup that died from parvo) and I was lucky Leviticus was almost 1 or he would have gotten parvo and he was the one that already had his parvo shots. But the parvo shots don't work until there 1 years old. That is where people go wrong with parvo. Sorry about your puppy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:23 PM

Our vet said the Parvo virus lives for up to 8 months in warm climates. But if the weather cools off it can live longer. But not 7 years. But I have been reading a lot about Parvo. and it is everywhere. Even places where you wouldn't think it would be. It can be carried by animals that would get in the vomit or poo of the contaminated animal, such as birds, mice, ground squirrels, rabbits. And where we live there are wild dogs or dogs that have owners that let them roam. And most of them don't have their shots. so there is no guarantee about Parvo. My vet said if you run over the feces or vomit with your car. you can carry the Parvo virus home on your tires. We didn't know but just before our puppy came down with Pavo, our next door neighbor's puppy died of it. So it could have been carried to him. They have a dog that jumps the fence all of the time. That dog gets in our yard all of the time.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:32 PM

Also puppies that have their shots can get Parvo. They don't usually. But they can. There is no guarantee, our vet says. There are several strains of the virus. Some are stronger than others. Even older dogs that get exposed to parvo can get it even if they have had their shots. They don't usually, but they can get it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:02 AM

I just got a papillon puppy from somelady my mom found on a website called craigslist.com i got her home on a friday and by sunday she was VERYYYY sickk. i didnt know what it was intill that wednesday when i took her to the vet. They told me it was parvo and that she was to far into it and that she wasnt going to make it. I had to put her down to take her out of her pain. I was VERYYYYY upset and cried for 3 days. I only had bailey for 5 days but it was the hardest thing i ever had to do and i did love her and i miss her veryyy much. She was one of the sweeeetest dogs ive ever met, she was adorable to . I bought her for $200, i told the lady what happened hopefull to protect her dogs and maybe see if she would give me my money back. I had to pay over $200 at the vet to get her tested and put down. Im only a student and have litteraly no money, i spent all the money i had on poor bailey, and she didnt make it. Im absolutly heart broken. The lady i got her from told me she didnt have a health gaurentee on her so i couldnt sue her, i think this is because she knew the dog was sick and still sold it to me. i believe one of her other dogs was sick to, she was trying to get rid of all of them, i think cause she didnt want to deal with them cause they were sick. & sense she gave me a sick dog she put my other dogs at risk, between me, my mom, and my sister we have 10 dogs. Now, so far only one of my other dogs have got sick with parvo. I did some research and i found this med called PARVAID, it cost like $50 and it WORKS! i gave it to my baby angel, and she is already getting better. i found out after that i could of given it to my bailey, and saved her. but i found out to late, so if you take your sick dog with parvo to the vet and they say you need to put them down, DONT! Try parvaid! it gives them a chance! i mean even if i doesnt at least you tried? it worked for my baby angel! and maybe it will work for you to. you can get it on ebay, or google it. i had to buy mine online from a vet in chicago, and they shiped it to me.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 AM

ambertech.com < thats a website you can get PARVAID from.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

That's so sad, all of these stories. Im so sorry for everybody's losses. :'(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
emergency vet