Parvo Pup Mom Needs Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Parvo Pup Mom Needs Help

I really need some advice and support. We just adopted our 2nd puppy from a rescue last Sunday. He was fine until Tuesday when we took him in because of diarreah and vomitting. We were told he has Parvo. I've done a LOT of reading on it and know it can be very very bad.

We had the option of brining him back to the shelter we got him from but had already fallen in love. We decided to spend the money (we don't have!) to try to get him treated. Today we brought him in and now just have to sit and wait.

Can anyone give me some insight on this terrible disease and what their thoughts are? He's an 8 week old black lab mix. Even though he was so sick, he still had some energy to play with his new brother, and wasn't as lethargic as I've heard they can be.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'm so sorry for you and the pup. I've dealt with it before and it can be rough. Catching it early increases the chances of survival as well as if the puppy is otherwise in good condition, that helps a bunch.

It really is just a waiting game because it is up to the puppy to beat it. Of course we provide all the help we can. Tamiflu is a great product which can drastically increase your pups chances of survival. Ask your vet about it, not all vets have it or on the up and up about it. If they don't have it they can right a script for it allowing you to order from somewhere else. Or if you have multi vets some might have it, others might not. Other then that lactated ringers for dehydration either SubQ or IV. Then antibotics which grealyt helps prevent secondary infection due to lowered immunity.

You need to disinfect your home and yard the best you can. I used Parvolan but some use a bleach solution. You're pup once over Parvo will still need some recovery and TLC. This can vary depending on the pup (like how sick they were). Many will be underweight so it will be time of getting back to normal. Sometimes they need a special bland type diet as they will still be senstive which could lead to episodes of diarhea or vomiting. I give an immunity booster to help them recover and help their immune system build back up and help their body.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Check Them Out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
help parvo pup