ParvoVirus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation ParvoVirus

Basically i want more information about it?

I had a puppy a few months ago who died from it, How long do have to wait untill i can get a new puppy? How do i know if my home isnt contaminated with it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

Wikipedia has a lot of info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_parvovirus

Quote:
The virus is extremely hardy and has been found to survive in feces and other organic material such as soil for over a year. It survives extremely cold and hot temperatures. The only household disinfectant that kills the virus is bleach.

I would recommend disinfecting your whole house with bleach water, as for outside....I'm not really sure what you could do. Sorry!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Adolescent Pup

I disinfected my place for 2 weeks straight, especially outside with dirt it is hard to get rid of the parvo in the ground. Luckily it wasn't the whole yard or anything but I still did a huge portion. I use bleach and parvolan to disinfect. I waited 2 months before getting another pup (still had my female who had parvo before, she almost died but pulled through) and she was fine. Still have both of them who are getting to be older dogs now. More pups about 5-7 months after, all fine. All others have been fine since then too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Check Them Out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Smile Thanks

Thanks for all your help.

My mum bleaches the floor in the house, and is ALWAYS, ALWAYS cleaning. So what is the besy way to disinfect the gardens? Is grass cutting one way of gettin rid? Is there anythink i can buy?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

11 years ago I had a puppy that unfortunatly had Parvo, the poor sweety was just to small to make it, we completely disinfected the house, but because we were concerned about the yard we asked our vet what to do, she tols us we should wait 6 months...well in that time we moved, but the people in our old house had 2 puppies that were ok, we did tell them about the parvo case just to be on the safe side...its such a horrid dieseas, I hope to never have to see one of my babies ever go through it

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=579&SourceID=

Stephanie

Tags
dog, parvo, puppies, puppy, virus