pee's inside everywhere.....pen setup....need help/advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

pee's inside everywhere.....pen setup....need help/advice

pee's inside everywhere.....pen setup....need help/advice

All, I have a 4month old Shih Tzu that is doing ok with the Potty training, but he has a little issue with peeing inside and I am looking for advice on that and also some guidance on if my sleeping/crating arrangement for him might be part of this potty training issue.

#1 I have to leave him somedays while I go to work and he can be home for up to 7hrs at a time.
With that point said, leaving him in his crate for 6 - 7hrs without anyplace to soil but inside his crate would be cruel. So I bought an exercise pen that is very large and I have put his crate inside the Pen on one side and puppy pads on the other side of the pen. I leave the crate door open. He is put in the pen when I can’t keep my eye on him or when I go to sleep or work.
I put down a blue tarp because this pen setup is on my new hard wood fls.
9 out of 10 times he will pee on the puppy pad and it seems like he is holding his poop the entire time. The moment I wake up or get home I take him out and he poops outside just about every time (this is good).

When I am home I leave the pen open wide and he has direct access to the puppy pad but never uses it. He will walk in the pen area to drink water and occasionally even go in his crate to take a nap (although if I have let him out of the pen for the most part he will sleep under my feet where I have stopped to watch TV or eat…etc).
So he is peeing everywhere in the house ..but not pooping in the house at all.
Is this pen setup the issue?
HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:51 PM

be patient first and foremost. He's is too young to hold it for any long length of time.

The thing with puppies is, when they have to go they have to go. At that age they are just beginning to realize that they have to go. So, they'll go wherever they are.

Small breeds can be harder to train than large breeds too. What you want to do is, while you are home take the puppy out every 30 min to an hour. As soon as the puppy wakes up from a nap, take it outside. As soon as he is done eating, take him outside.

Use lots of positive reinforcement when he does his business outside. Praise him. It is important to not "spank" the dog for accidents inside the house. Negative actions like that can set him back. What you want to do is, show him (don't put his face in it) then tell him that's bad and take him outside. Have a firm voice, but don't yell or sound "mean".
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 06:24 PM

How old is a puppy when they can hold it for longer than an hour...
Indy can go all night without doing anything and if I sai with him he can go ages but when he is wandering around the house he needs to go every 40 mins.
He is a good boy and always tells me (by jumping on my back and scratching his claws down me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:41 PM

My 4 1/2 month old Pom pee's whenever he gets the urge, without warning, he'll go right in front of me. I say NO and he stops, but it seems like its all the time even after taking him out. He never asks to go out. I'm wondering if there is a way to teach them to ask to go out. Whether its sitting at the door, or anything. He never poops in the house, just pee's. It seems like he was doing so good with potty training and now its like he is going backwards.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:09 AM

Nikki6496 what you have described is exactly the same thing my 5 1/2 month old bolognese does. She was very well potty trained by 3 months, and now she has started peeing in the house again. She was trained to a wee-wee pad so that she didn't hae to go outside to pee, and she was doing so well, like no accidents. Now she pees all over, and I know she knows its wrong. She will not poop in the house though. If anyone has any suggestions for getting my puppy back on track with potty training I'd really appreciate it. I'm tired of just getting responses that say "Toy breeds are smart but hard to potty train".
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with Chrisanne be patient as he's only a baby still and they don't mean to wee its just an urge they get as they are finding their feet and they don't realise they are doing any wrong. I have a lhasa and she was quite easy to train i used to take her out on the hour every hour and after eating, drinking and napping and she soon learnt about going outside. When i first got her and for when i wasn't in and incase of accidents, i used to have an area where there was paper down for her just incase and she used to use it 9 times out of 10 but if she did it elsewhere in the house i used to pick her up and put her on the paper so she soon learnt that the paper was the place to use. Dogs are intelligent and a puppy is willing to learn so lavish praise on him when he does something right like doing it outside and if he makes a mistake don't punish him for it just tell him No and take him outside straight away and if he goes again whilst out there praise him

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 05:09 PM

Also, if paper training or pad training... as they get used to going on the pad move the pad closer and closer to the door in which they would go out. Slowly of course. This way getting them to go outside becomes an easier task.

Each time you "catch" them going potty take them outside and try to let them finish there. Praise them a lot when they do go outside.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 07:58 PM

I wish I could help, but I have the same problem with my puppy. I think it might be a bit late, though. =( She's almost 10 months old. Is this too late to potty train her?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 06:32 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

When I was paper training my Sheltie, I was in an apartment at the time and so it wasn't exactly the best option to scoop him up when he had an accident somewhere on the paper, run down a few flights of stairs, outside, 10 meters down the sidewalk to a small patch of grass to tell him to potty there. But the time we got outside and to the gress, he had forgotten what it was all about, anyway.

So, when I caught him having an accident, I would instead scoop him up and put him on the paper and tell him "Go potty. Potty here."

As he got older, I did move the paper closer and closer to the door.

The key is to try and minimize accidents, though. Take him out as much as possible! Every 30 minutes to an hour if you must! Chances are, the more he is outside, the less likely it will be that he potties on the floor inside. And, when you are inside and he has an accident, QUICKLY place him on his pee pad or paper and tell him "Go Potty." Also, when you're outside, start saying "Go Potty" and praise him like mad when he goes.

Four months is very young. I found that Seamus didn't really understand where he was supposed to go until he was almost 6 months old. It takes LOTS of patience, persistence and consistency.

Also, you can try putting a (used) pee pad outside and getting him to pee on it there, too. Putting a paper that Seamus had peed on outside helped him understand better that he was supposed to pee outside.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie
I wish I could help, but I have the same problem with my puppy. I think it might be a bit late, though. =( She's almost 10 months old. Is this too late to potty train her?
It is never too late to potty train a dog. It may be more difficult and take more time, but it's never too late. You must have patience and consistency, though, or you'll never be able to get it done. Those are the TWO main things in potty training a dog. PATIENCE and CONSISTENCY.

If you haven't tried crate training, I would strongly suggest looking into it as a method of training for you at this stage. It would more than likely help A LOT.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I totally agree its never too late and with patience and a lot of effort your dog could easily be trained its just about consistency. My neighbours took on an 8 year old dog who had never been house trained and she learnt very quickly so its never too late

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
crate training, potty train, potty trained, potty training, shih tzu