Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Periods

Tags
heat cycle
2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Chrisanne 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me more about girl dogs having their time of the month please?
How often do they get it, is it messy, when does it start etc?
Thanx

#4 ·
we used to put a diaper on my little poodle...we cut a hole out for her tail, and we would take it off when she was outside...but atfter her second time in heat we got her fixed...the vet recommended we wait that long...but she was never real messy...Kens dog peppers was very messy...she dripped everywhere...we finally got her fixed though

#5 ·
Heat cycles generally start between 6-9 months of age depending on the female. Also, they go into heat every 4-6 months.. again depending on the female.

Some females are messy and drip all over. Others you'd never know they were in heat if you weren't paying attention. Heat cycles are approximately 3 weeks start to finish.

#7 ·
Our vets say we have to wait for her to have 2 periods before having her done.
I hope she is not messy as we will have to ban her from the bed and she wont like that at all plus she sneaks up when we are asleep

#8 ·
No, you don't have to wait for them to go into heat before having them spayed. I've always heard it's better to have it done BEFORE their first heat. Mirra would've been spayed already if it weren't for me being paranoid after losing Riley. I don't know if they do things differently over there Sheryl, but you might want to talk to another vet for a second opinion. :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.