Periods - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Periods

Can someone tell me more about girl dogs having their time of the month please?
How often do they get it, is it messy, when does it start etc?
Thanx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I may not be 100% on this but from what I've been taught in school and what I remember of it at least is that female dogs go into heat every six months. It can be pretty messy. It starts for most dogs around six months of age or later perhaps for different dogs/breeds.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

She is 7 months now...

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we used to put a diaper on my little poodle...we cut a hole out for her tail, and we would take it off when she was outside...but atfter her second time in heat we got her fixed...the vet recommended we wait that long...but she was never real messy...Kens dog peppers was very messy...she dripped everywhere...we finally got her fixed though

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Heat cycles generally start between 6-9 months of age depending on the female. Also, they go into heat every 4-6 months.. again depending on the female.

Some females are messy and drip all over. Others you'd never know they were in heat if you weren't paying attention. Heat cycles are approximately 3 weeks start to finish.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Newborn Pup

Smile Is it better to wait till they have had one cycle

before having them spayed??

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Our vets say we have to wait for her to have 2 periods before having her done.
I hope she is not messy as we will have to ban her from the bed and she wont like that at all plus she sneaks up when we are asleep

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

No, you don't have to wait for them to go into heat before having them spayed. I've always heard it's better to have it done BEFORE their first heat. Mirra would've been spayed already if it weren't for me being paranoid after losing Riley. I don't know if they do things differently over there Sheryl, but you might want to talk to another vet for a second opinion.

Rhonda

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Most vets I know of have let go of that ridiculous notion that a female must have a heat cycle or a litter before being spayed. It's actually beneficial to their health if you don't wait IMO.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted

Tags
heat cycle