PetSmart Obedience Classes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

PetSmart Obedience Classes

Hi everyone in the dog section...

I come from the land of rabbits! Although I have had two dogs before.

I applied for a job at PetSmart to work at the PetsHotel front desk. They offered me that, plus being an obedience trainer.

I wanted to know if you've ever been to those classes, and what they're like? The structure, what kinds of things you do, etc. I will be put through a 6 week training program first, but I'd like to know a little bit about the job before I accept.

Thanks!

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

I took one of my dogs there when she was a puppy for their puppy class. It's several weeks long (8-10, I think), and you meet once a week. Each week you and your dog learn something new. First week was name recognition, second week was sitting, and so on. You are encouraged to practice that week's trick at home for a week, until the next class.
I really liked the class. It was fun and educational. And most of all, my small dog got to socialize with big dogs! Very important.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Welcome to the land of dogs! I'm jealous... that would be a fun and interesting job. I've never attended the classes though. That's a really neat opportunity. I hope it goes well for you.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Forumla, that was helpful! Hopefully my classes will go as well! I'm nervous

Marmilla, you know...I didn't even apply for that position because I thought you would have to have some sort of experience. They saw that I had taught some other classes on my resume, and that I also had selling experience (big part of the job I guess), and so they asked me if I was interested. I'll have to do 16 hours of bookwork, 40 hours of shadowing an instructor, 40 hours of teaching someone else's classes while being watched, and then I'm off on my own! We'll see how it goes. They pay quite well, and the job itself seems like it will be fun once I get over the initial nerves :cringe:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

I'm sure you'll be fine once you find your voice there. Have fun with it!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

oh i would love to do that!!

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:15 PM

i've looked in on a couple of the classes. Considered taking my Diesel but decided otherwise. Maybe it is effective. I'm sure you will enjoy though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My Lacey and Layla both went to Petsmart for classes. We really enjoyed them and I feel it's great for socialization.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 AM

just whatever you do DON'T yell at the customers looking around the store with their dog i was in petsmart one day looking at the leashes because i wanted a new one for Troy (who of course was with me) there was a training class going on at the same time and the trainer stoped the class to yell at me for "distracting his dogs" i was so upset you are training them distractions help they come accross them everyday and should be able to deal with it i haven't gone back there since.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my dog was kicked outta the classes lol...we took Leia (my sweet silly adhd doggy lol) and she wanted to kiss all the doggies and she wanted to make sure everyone was ok by herding them in a circle lol...then every time the trainer spoke Leia answered him, it was so funny, we had to take her to a more one on one type class lol but for Libby the petsmart classes were great, Leia just is to social for them lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley