Pictures and Info about all the dogs you have had - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Pictures and Info about all the dogs you have had

Post pictures and/or information about all of the dogs you've had.

Here's mine in the order they died

This is Charlie, who was already alive before I was born. He died when I was about 5. I believe he was a poodle/wheaten terrier mix. His mom was a poodle and when there was a Wheaten terrier on TV my mom said that's what his dad looked like, so I guess that's what he was. He was great dog from what I remember. I don't know why my parents never put him in the basement when we brought groceries in, but he would get out and come back later. Well, one time he did this and didn't come back. We searched the all around the streets, pounds and shelters and couldn't find him. He was really old then, so we just assumed he died when he ran away. I had a lot of dreams about him after he was gone.

Stows was my American Eskimo. It was about a year after Charlie died and I was at my grandma's house when my parents pulled up with this white fluff ball in the back of the car. It was such a surprise and awesome day. They had just stopped at a shelter on the way home from work, not expecting to get a dog but ended up with her. She hate the color yellow and loved carrots. hehe. After a short time of having her we learned she needed pills for incontinence. She died at the early age of 6 due to liver failure. She was battling to stay alive and was in and out of the hospital and I was with her the last time we took her in and they said she'll be out in a few days. A few days later they said her liver had failed and she was slowly dying so we had to put her down. It was so unexpected. It was believed to be caused by the pills she took which were took off the market because of that.

This Baby, who was my Chihuahua (mix?). At school I had a friend tell me about this Chihuahua she had got from a friend who bred poodles and she was licking the babies and they wanted to get rid of her. She took her in but her grandma didn't want Baby. I went over to my friends house after school one day and instantly fell in love with her. My parents could tell she was old and didn't know if they wanted to take in an old dog but I begged and begged and they eventually said yes. We took her to the vet and they said she was atleast 8, but probably much older. She had to live on 2 different pills for the time we had her and surgery to remove growths from her eyelids. She eventually went blind (early 2004) and we had to put her down. She was an awesome dog and I'm glad I got her even if I only spent a few years with her.

I'll post the current dogs later...I need to feed them right now.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Brittney; 01-25-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 04:12 PM

Great idea! As for me...see the post on Kiska, if you haven't already. She is my one and only dog so far in life! (I'm 21)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 05:16 PM

Well... I have two dogs... those are my first and only dogs so far.

1. Odie
I remember begging an begging, specially at christmas, for a dog... since I was so little I can't remember. The summer before last I volunteered at my local shelter for 6 weeks (that's all I had before classes started). One day a lady came in with a dog and her litter of 1 week old puppies, 1 male and 3 females. This was not the first time, at that shelter puppies and kittens come in literally in boxes. Since around 80 dogs and cats come in everyday, but only about 7-8 are adopted, most of them are put to sleep for lack of space/adoption. They have a general rule, all dogs that are sick, older than 4 years, or younger than 6 weeks; are put to sleep. So, this lady came in with them, I was in the surgery room, helping prepare the dogs for spay/neuter when the secretary came in with the male puppy. She wanted to ask one of the techs if there was a possibility to hand-feed the dog and it surviving, cause she wanted to keep him. I immeditely fell in love with him. He was just the cutest thing ever! I went out to see the rest, and there were 3 females, 2 completely white and one completely brown... but the little spotted male was the most precious of the three. Well, later that day, the secretary decided not to take him cause the tech was telling her what he needed to do to keep him alive and it was too much work for her. I called mom and asked about it. She hated the idea, but told me to ask my dad and my sister. I asked my dad and he said that whatever my mom said (they did to me that all the time, you don't know how tiresome it is to go back and forth asking for permission for something)... well, since they gave me their favorite response, I assumed, it's oko with both.. I'll call my sis. I called her and she asked me what mom and dad said (ahhhhhh!).. well.. all in all, everybody said ok (or I assumed it LOL) and took the puppy home. Everybody fell in love with him... the first thing my sis told me about him was "you didn't told me he was so beautiful". Well.. I was in for a couple of hard weeks of no sleep at all... feeding every 2-3 hours, working during the day and feeding again on my breaks... but they were worth it. 8)
Here's a pic of the day I took him home..

tell me, who wouldn't had fallen in love with him? Those tiles are 1' x 1' so you have an idea of how big he was.
He grew up to be this handsome boy:

Now you know why he thinks he's a person... I raised him.. LOL

2. Charlotte
When Odie was about 5 months.. a little black dog appeared one day around my street. My dad and a neghbor started feeding her some table scraps and dog food. One day, she got into my other neighbor's garage. When he found her he hit her with a broomstick to get her out. My mom and I heard the dog cries and went out to investigate and caught him beating her. I took her and put her in the backyard and called my dad to tell him about it and asking him to take her to the shelter. It was better that they put her down than she being beat up by people on the street. Well, it wasn't possible to take her that day, nor the day after that and so on... after a week of her living in the backyard, my sister arrived from work and asked me "so, how's Charlotte today" and I was like "who?" and she said, "Charlotte, that black dog you have in the backyard".. and well, she was already named.. LOL my dad decided to keep her (I made it clear that I couldn't take care of her, since I was away from home during the week, and he said he would feed her during the week). and I just called the shelter to make that appointment for neutering (Odie) an appointment for 2. LOL She was around 4 months old.
This was the first pic I took of her, about 6 weeks after she arrived... this was on christmas day and a couple of days after her spaying (that's why she has a shaved belly). She was already a bit fatter than she was when she arrived, and still note how skinny she is LOL

And a more recent picture of her... she didn't grew much, I guess that she was a bit underfed in her early monthg of age.. she was just skin and bones when she came. She still skinny, but healthy skinny.. I think she has some greyhound (or italian greyhound) in her cause of her body shape. (Actually she reminds me so much of the Simpsons' dog, Santa's Little Helper... LOL both phisically and her attitude)

Right now I have another dog. My other sister dropped her one day cause they were going to paint the garage... it's been 2 months since then and she hasn't picked the dog up. They haven't painted the garage either... I took them on christmas for their shots, heartworm pills and a health check (and buyed them all new collars) and my sis told me that she was going to give me the money I spent on Valentina.. I'm still waiting for it. So I'll mention her here too... My sister and her husband got her from the humane society.. I think it was march of last year.. not sure though. She was 3 months old and now is 14 months old (I think) I only have recent pics of her.. from the couple of times she came to play with Charlotte and from now that she has been staying home with Charly. So, here's a pic of Valentina:

Those are all the dogs I've ever had. Sorry this is so long.. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I have two dogs and they're my first doggies .

Rocky:
I had wanted a dog since I was a little kid and I was finally going to get a dog for my 11th birthday present. I didn't actually get Rocky until I was almost 13, lol. I was looking at all the puppies and he kept licking me and jumping into my arms...he wouldn't let me look at the other dogs, lol.

Here he is:

Sophitia:
We wanted another dog so Rocky would have a playmate. I decided I wanted a Cocker Spaniel and we went to a breeder. It was so hard to choose but in the end I knew she was the one and my mom even picked her up (she is not a dog person).

Here she is:

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

These are nice to read. That's awesome what you did for Odie and Charlotte Padfoot. Odie was so small!

I kind of know what you mean Sasami...I've pretty much had dogs around my whole life but I always wanted and dalmatian and poodle and all I ever got was stuffed ones!

Here are the dogs I have now:

Tasha my White German Shepherd. I was pretty young when we got her. My parents decided it would be best to get another dog for Stows. We went to the APL here and out of all the dogs she was the only one not barking and all in the back of her cage laying all curled up and looked so frightened. We left and as soon as we got home my parents called back and asked them more about her and asked them to hold her for us. They had said the people wanted to make her a mean dog and beat her. We went back and they brought her in the back with us and we got to take her home that day. She's been an awesome and very well behaved dog.

Buddy, my Jack Russell. The vet we used to go to was in the APL so whenever we went I'd always go look at the dogs they had for adoption. I went in the puppy room and there he was with no hair on his rear end and when I went by him to talk to him he put his paw and and started to scratch toward my hand. I went to get my mom to show her and she really liked him. She said it was up to my dad so I asked him and without him even looking at him he said yes. They took him out of the cage and let us hold him and pet him. My mom had to keep asking them to let us have him because he was nippy towards children when they touched near his butt (duh! he had no fur and was all scabbed up) and my sister was 9 I believe. Eventually they agreed to let us take him.

Shiloh, my other Jack Russell. We had just gotten my Chihuahua about 3 months before my uncle called and asked us to take her. They kept her in the cage almost all of the time and he's fairly mean to dogs. They only get animals because of my little cousin, which is awful. She was extremely wild, but she's now pretty calm and a wonderful dog.

It was maybe about a week after my Chihuahua died and I was just missing having a dog to take care of. I was still waiting for her to come out of my room when I left, trying to shut the door to not wake her, etc. I was really missing taking care of her so I asked about getting another dog. My parents took me to some shelters and upon returning later to this one he was the only puppy not adopted which made me really happy. They were thinking he was a purebred, but the vet says he's probably a GSD/Collie. He's a really quick learner on some things, but others he has trouble with. Overall, he's just my big guy who I probably spoil too much.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:54 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

My very first dog was Cindy. For as long as I could remember I had wanted a dog. I loved dogs more than anything. Unfortunately my sister has a phobia of all animals so between her and my dad simply not wanting one I had a battle. I used to beg all the time and was always told no. Well On Christmas Eve, when I was 8 my dad finally gave in and said yes (some sweet talking off my mum helped! I think after 8 years we broke him). My mum and I had decided we wanted a beagle and so my mum told him to call the RSPCA to see if they had any. no-one was expecting them to have one for a long time but my p's have a rule....if you own a dog you rescue it, you don't go out and purchase a puppy. Well turns out that the day before they had gotten an 8 month old beagle/kelpie x. My dad asked if they could her until after Christmas and they said no. They did say they'd hold her for the hour it took us to get there. So my dad and I set off while my mum and sis went to buy her a collar, lead etc. She wa smuch bigger than we expected (kelpie height, not beagle height) but she was MINE and I wanted her sooooo badly so we got her. My mum had to go out after christmas and buy her a new collar cause the one she bought was too small!
Anyway Cindy will be 13 in April, and lives with my parents but when the weather is cool enough she spends the weekends with me (she is used to airconditioning and we don't have it). She's getting older but still has plenty of life in her!

I couldn't take Cindy when I moved out as our apartment had a no pet rule. We move dout of there 15 months later to our own house and it seemed to cruel to take her away from my p's. The day we moved house we went down to the RSPCA and picked up Nacho. He was as timid as anything, was 4 months old and was the last of his litter. He had been there since 6 weeks of age and was a number, he had no name. Well we worked on his fear but sadly, his fear turned to aggression and at 21 months of age he was a danger to society and we had him put to sleep on the 7th January last year. There's a lot more to this story but that's the short of it. As you can see from his pic he was pure mutt this dog!

After losing Nacho I was told to wait a while before getting a new dog. It killed me losing him...it was literally like losing my child. After about three weeks I just couldn't take it anymore and needed to focus on looking for another dog. After doing plenty of research I had my heart set on a Staffy. After a search on the net I found a rescue 3 hours away from me that only dealt with Staffy's and Staffy x's. I rang the rescue, explained my situation with Nacho to them and told them that they had to temperament test a dog before I would accept one and I would wait for as long as it took. The woman told me she was picking a staffy up the next day, who she had been told was a complete sweetheart. This was on a Thursday. So on the Friday she rang me and told me she was a complete angel so Alex and I took the drive just to have a look at her (I picked up my brand new car on the friday.) We got down there and she was awesome...quiet, placid, not timid, not aggressive, just what I wanted. So we bought her home. turned out she had kennel cough which is why she was so quiet and placid and we had issues with her being really vocal for a while but we've got that sorted out! She also turned out to be dog aggressive, so we worked with her for 8 months and now as long as she is off lead (so she can get away and doesn't feel the need to protect us) she is fine! She's a true sweetheart and we love her soooo much! Funny thing, even though she was dog aggressive she was fine with Cindy from day one

And that's all of them!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 02:12 AM

Well I don't have pics of most of my dogs but...
First was Shane (I know, I know ) Shane was a golden retriever my stepmother owned. He was my first real dog as my mother wouldn't allow pets other than fish up until her husband got her a cat So, I spent my weekends with my dad and their dog Shane who was smart as a whip and friendly as all get out! I LOVED that dog! Right up to the night he died. The night he died I dreamed he had saved my life from a wild cat in the jungle. My dad called me the next morning to tell me he had passed away in his sleep. Vet said it was a heart attack

The next dog to come along was Midas (or Mind-less as we call him) He too belongs to my dad and stepmother as they just couldn't have a household without a dog and Shane left such a hole in everyone's hearts. So, my dad and brother contacted a golden retriever rescue group and went to look at Midas. He'd been found on the streets in downtown Detroit. Midas flunked the leader dog tests and flunked out of obedience class He's a good dog, just SOOOO not bright! These days Midas is enjoying his retirement with my dad and his days are numbered as he's going on 15 years old. We'll miss him when he goes

Shortly after my dad got Midas and I had spent the summer with him, I came home to my mom's house to discover a "Beware of Dog" sign on the fence to the backyard. I asked my mom about it and she said she'd been dog sitting. Yeah right!! She bought me a retired show dog/breeder Chow Chow! Kayjin was my pride and joy! She wasn't fond of men and wasn't fond of kids, but she and I hit it off immediately! I can't tell you how many guys I picked up due to Kayjin! I walked her for hours every day and she was SOOO happy to go! I used to walk her past boys houses I had crushes on and they always came out to strike up a conversation because of Kayjin. She was my prissy girl too! She LOVED to be groomed and I'd spend hours brushing her! (I'm surprised she had any fur left!) When I was finished, she'd prance around the house with her nose in the air and tail across her back and walk the runway model walk! Butt swaying side to side with each step! When I moved out, I knew I couldn't take her with me and left her retirement with my mom who she loved almost as much as she did me. She lived to be 14 years old and when she lost her mind with senility and such, my mom had her put to sleep...she didn't tell me until 2 months later because at that time, I was working Catastrophy storm duty for a major insurance company and was working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. It broke my heart that I couldn't be with her at the end

When I moved out of my parent's house, I got Zazu. He was a lab/Sharpei mix and although hard headed, he was a sweetheart who LOVED his babies!! When Zach and Brandon were born, he protected those kids like you wouldn't believe! When I left my children's father and moved to NC with Shane, I left Zazu with the kids father. I knew he would be better off as Rob was VERY good to Zazu and cared more about him than he did about the kids and I. I still feel guilty for leaving him though.

When I moved in with Shane, he didn't have a dog but wanted one! We got Rico from a friend's neighbor. He was a gorgeous husky! Unfortunetly, Rico refused to be housebroken or crate trained...he'd mess in his crate and roll in it just to spite us! Not only that, but we'd walk him for hours (lived in an apartment, so, no yard) and he wouldn't do a thing, yet the second we walked in the door, he's walk and pee at the same time thoughout the apartment!! After 8 months of this behavior, Shane said enough was enough. We couldn't spend the rest of our lives chasing Rico with buckets. The maintenence man at our apartment asked if he could have him. His brother owned a farm and had been wanting a husky as an outdoor dog. Rico now lives on a farm where he's never crated or tied up. He spends his days running around with the horses.

We didn't have any pets for a while after that until Shane's friend (a pitbull breeder) came to him about a puppy he had sold and the owners wanted him to buy her back because she chewed stuff up. The breeder didn't have the cash to get her and the owners threatened to put her down. We paid them the money and brought home Kali. You all know about Kali.

Shane wanted to breed Kali once and have a litter. Another friend had a blue and white male who Kali grew up playing with and after all the health testing and X-rays on both dogs, they were bred (I wasn't happy about this) Next thing we knew, we had a litter of 13 puppies. Orion was the puppy we chose to keep. You all know all about Orion.

The only pics I have on the computer of dogs I've had are Kali and Orion. I'll have to take some new pics for this thread later though
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 04:08 PM

Unhappy

OMG! What lovely dogs you have all had!

This is about the only dog we have had in our family..
We got Barney the Basset Hound in June 1985, when I was 15, and my sister was 11, he was supposed to be a Birthday present for us, but really he was for my mum, as she had always wanted a Basset.. He was 8 weeks old when we got him and this pic was taken around the same time..
He was adorable, but naughty, Bassets are renowned for being very stubborn, and he was.. He would only go for a walk, when he wanted too, and as for playing with toys forget it, he would rather lounge around on his beanbag, or on my bed! That was the thing about him, he would sleep upstairs, either in my room or my sister Debbies, he would have his beanbag with him, but would never sleep on it, prefering to sleep on our single beds with us.. Trust me it was uncomfortable, as he was not very small.. If I got home late, after being out with friends, he would cry at my sisters door to be let out, and then come running into my room, to sleep on my bed! When he was a puppy, the breeder recommended feeding him tripe, it was the worse smell you could imagine. It was frozen, so you either got it out the night before, of defrosted it in the microwave.. We had many happy years with him, and we always joked, that if we ever got burgled, Barney would just lay there and watch, he really was a right layabout!
I moved out of my parents in June 1996, but still found time to take him for walkies, and play with him.. But in mid 1997, we noticed that he was having problems with his back legs. We took him to the vets, who explained to us that it was a sign of old age, and that we should just let him carry on as normal.. One Saturday in late July my Mum phoned me to say that he was getting worse, and that he could not get down the steps to the garden to go to the toilet.. My Dad and Mum had to carry him out, so he could go.. That day, we spent as much time as we could with him, knowing that we would have to make a very big decision.. I stayed with him till late that night, my Mum slept with him downstairs..
On Sunday morning I went to my Mum and Dads, and my Mum had arranged to go to a vets.. Pete stayed behind, while my Dad drove my Mum, Barney, Debbie, Paul (my sisters boyfriend)and myself to the vets.. Once there Paul helped my Dad carry Barney out of the car and we went in to the surgery.. The strangest feeling was that all the dogs there seemed to know what was happening, they all went quiet as we walked in.. We were seen almost immediately, and the vet checked him over, and explained what he was going to do.. We stayed there while he was put to sleep, and afterwards my Mum, Sister and myself had a sob outside.. Even my dad had tears in his eyes..
When we got home Pete had packed Barneys toys etc away.. And we sat there for a while talking about him, and looking at his pictures..
Even now nearly 8 years later, I am crying while I think about him, and writing this, he really was a lovely dog, and I still miss him..
I apologise for the picture, its the only one I have here, the rest are at my Mum and Dads.. Its a bit dog-eared, as its been in a frame for years, and has pride of place next to my bed!

Love you always Barney xx
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I really liked reading these. Everyone seems to have great dogs.
That's sad about Nacho RSBunny, but atleast you tried with with.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 03:25 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks Brittney, we sure did try with Nacho. I spent $400 to ge tthis honky dory behaviourist to come and assess him. He was at my place for half the day just watching what Nacho did and ask me a stack load of questions...at the end of the day he gave me an intense training program for him but told me that euthanasia was really the only guarantee. well we went into full force with this training session, doing everything right. I wasn't working so had all the time in the world to devote to training my boy....he got worse and worse and worse. There are big dents in the fence from where he tried to get over the fence to attack people. Really bad stuff by the end of it. It was horrible, my worst nightmare and I never ever ever want to go through something like that again. We have photos of him around the house, and I've kept his ashes. To this day I still cry and I miss him all the time. But without Nacho, I never would've researched breeds of dogs and never would have got Biscuit so he had his purpose in life.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 03:58 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Thanks Brittney, we sure did try with Nacho. I spent $400 to ge tthis honky dory behaviourist to come and assess him. He was at my place for half the day just watching what Nacho did and ask me a stack load of questions...at the end of the day he gave me an intense training program for him but told me that euthanasia was really the only guarantee. well we went into full force with this training session, doing everything right. I wasn't working so had all the time in the world to devote to training my boy....he got worse and worse and worse. There are big dents in the fence from where he tried to get over the fence to attack people. Really bad stuff by the end of it. It was horrible, my worst nightmare and I never ever ever want to go through something like that again. We have photos of him around the house, and I've kept his ashes. To this day I still cry and I miss him all the time. But without Nacho, I never would've researched breeds of dogs and never would have got Biscuit so he had his purpose in life.
Carmen, you did your best for Nacho, and Biscuit is lucky to have such great owners!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well I have Claire and Rebel of course, my little darlings

There's Niki too, but since moving to the apartment and then moving back, my dad had kept her for me and since he's had her so long I hated to move her again, he loves her dearly now, I felt she was better off to stay with him. I hated to do that, but I was just trying to look out for her

a couple more to come...

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Here's little miss Molly, my dad's dog mostly but half mine One day, I think I may get her for good though. She's a sweetie pie, lives with my dad also.

When I was very young, I had a collie named Prince, my mother made me give him away, I'll never forget him, I miss him dearly, he was such a great dog.

Amy was my first dachshund, my dad bought her for me when I was younger, I guess like eight or so. She passed away, I miss her more than anything

*Brandy*

|
|
|

Tags
basset hound, cocker spaniel, crate trained, dog food, german shepherd, golden retriever, humane society, jack russell, kennel cough, local shelter, table scraps, terrier mix