Play dates after snip? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Play dates after snip?

How long after a male dogs snip can he have safe play dates with a female? i mean, is it like a right away thing? cuz i think i remember reading somewhere, that with some smaller animals it takes awhile for things to balance out.. or is that just for the emotional side of things? I think tanner is really bored, since hes used to being able to run and play with his brother, and as much as he tries to get Allie to play with him, she cant really run and play like that..
So, i was thinking maybe this weekend we could take him over to Davids parents house for a play date with there beagle, but his mom said shes been in heat and kind of mopey.. she thinks shes done with her heat tho. So, maybe tanner would cheer her up a bit.. and they could both get some much needed exercise.. do you think it would be OK? they would be supervised of course..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If the female is unspayed, I think you need to wait a few weeks. I'm not 100% sure though, I'm trying to find an answer.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Thanks Jade.. i tried searching the web for an answer.. but i kept finding websites that show pictures of the procedure..
my tummy cant quite handle that today

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've got a question in to a vet tech friend of mine. She's checking with a DVM she works with, so I don't feel quite so ignorant.

Stephanie

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

thanks Jade! its nice to have friends with friends in high places

My Furry Family
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Okay, she said the vet said they should be kept away from intact females for at least a month. Having known male chinchillas to be fertile for up to 6 weeks I'd probably wait that long to be safe.

Stephanie

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Alright, he was snipped on the 24th, so we'll wait.. maybe he can have his first play date on his birthday! (31st) Thanks Jade!

My Furry Family
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 02:15 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You're welcome!

Stephanie

Tags
vet tech