Please adopt from a shelter - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Please adopt from a shelter

I went down to the RSPCA yesterday afternoon to pick up my rabbits after their spaying...my best friend came with me to help my keep them still on the car ride home and she wanted to go and walk through the shelter before we went to the clinic. There were so many dogs and pups in there and I knew that I couldn't save any of them just yet. They weren't only mixed breeds, there was three pure bred Husky's there plus pure bred Bull Mastiff puppies and a couple of young pure bred rottweiller's. When I got home I cried cause it was just so so sad. For the first time ever they had rabbits available in their shelter too so from now on I will also be bunny adopting from there too. Please guys, anybody that is thinking about getting a new puppy/dog conisder your local shelter first and go and look at the pleading eyes begging to be loved. I can still feel a heavy weight on my heart knowing that at least half of those dogs/puppies will die with their last memories being locked up in a cage on a concrete floor with no-one to love them. Why will they die? Cause people would rather go and buy from a pet store and keep irresponisble breeders (I know they aren't all irresponisble but some are) funded than to rescue the poor innocent animals in the shelter. It really broke my heart going there yesterday and I just had to make another plea.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:22 PM

Oh man Carmen I know how you feel. I do rescues along with breeding *very minimally* and when I have to go to an animal shelter to pick any dogs up my heart absolutely breaks.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I know exactly what you mean! I hate it when I see all the homeless dogs and cats in shelters, especially when I hear about so many people mixing purebred dogs now, it kinda breaks my hear when these same mixes are in shelters at this exact moment looking for a home! Makes me sooo sad!

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm still traumatised by yesterday's visit....they also had this story in there from a puppy that was taken home at 6 weeks old from a breeder and the puppy was saying about how much he wa sloved and how him jumping and biting was considered cute and funny. Then as he got older and received no obedience training his family didn't find him cute anymore and dropped him off at a shelter. There he lay cold and lonely for a few days and then this woman came and got him out of his cage and was giving him the loving and attention he used to receive from his last owners. Then he went into a room and was given an injection and got very sleepy. I can just remember the last sentence saying 'no-one can hurt me now' Omg I just sat there staring at the board for like five minutes blinking back the tears (so did my best friend) it was awful.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:07 AM

I know exactly what you mean, here in the Naples area of Italy there are so many strays and about 85% of them are pure breeds, it is ashame. Around here they seem to breed them as long as they can then when they feel the "animal" is of no longer use to them, instead of steralizing them and keeping them as a family pet they dump them on the streets. There is one no-kill shelter near by that has over 600 animals and lack of resources as far as cleaning, feeding, medical needs ect. I am glad to see that they have the heart to take in so many animals but it is sad that they are unable to place about 90% of them due to the lack of care each one needs. I work as a volunteer with an organization here called "Naples Friends of Animals" we work with a Vet clinic / shelter called "Lago Pro Animale" with them we have what is called a "Spay a Stray" program, it is sad that we can't foster and take in more animals than we have, however by steralizing a stray and releasing them back on the streets this does help in the rapid population of unwanted animals. Many people don't understand how we can just release an animal back on the streets, but as I said around here there just aren't enough resources or people willing to foster. We have taken in 5 dogs, 4 puppies, and 4 cats since November and have managed to find homes for most, we now have 2 puppies left and a Blue Merle English Setter that my husband brought home from work one night. If my husband didn't have the heart to bring him home "Luke" would of died within days, he was malnurished had been in several dog attacks and had wounds from what the vet says appear to be from BB gun shots....UGH!!! The only good thing about being in Italy this time around, is we have noticed the decrease in strays on the streets, which in my eyes mean more people are aware and are helping out. Unfortunately there just still isn't enough people helping and the lack of shelters leaves for animals to roam a stray on the streets.
RS that is a sad story that you mentioned above, it is sad that in a dog's eyes they feel this is it "I finally found a person to love me" only to turn around and be put to sleep
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Navywife I am so glad that there are people out there in the world like you to take in all these poor animals *hugz to you* I wish I was able to rescue dogs and keep them until I found them a home but it just isn't possible unfortunately

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:58 PM

RS thank you so much, believe me I wish I could do more than we do.....I wish I was able to foster all the animals we do find and steralize, but unfortunately there just isn't enough space so they are put back on the streets, however we do what we can It is my dream one day to have our own land and open a shelter so until that can happen this is my destiny being filled out in a slow process

Tags
animal shelter, local shelter, mixed breed, mixed breeds, obedience training, pet store, pure bred, vet clinic