Please answer soon!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

Please answer soon!!

Zoe has been making funny noises kind of like she is choking and cant breath occasionally. But she is acting normal and doesnt really act like she feels bad. She did it the other day when she was on the leash and I thought it was cuz she pulled to hard but now she is just in the house and she started doing that. Could it just be allergies or do you think something could be wrong??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Part of the Pack

My puppy has been doing what sounds like the same thing. He'll be sleeping and all of a sudden wake up taking deep breaths in really fast. I think I read somewhere that its a reverse sneeze. I asked my Vet about it and he said that it could be allergies or a cold, and if it continued to have him checked out.

I guess I would wait to see if it goes away or gets worse and then take him to see his Vet.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

Yes it happened she after she woke up. And that is what it sounds like. Thanks for the info! If it continues I will call her vet!!

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

I wouldn't worry about it just yet baby. she probably irritated her throat yesterday pulling on the leash.

I have a gecko...

...or does a gecko have me??
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If she pulls a lot on the leash have you thought about getting her an harness as that way it doesn't put any strain on her throat and doesn't cause any irritation? Its probably just a reaction to pulling on the leash and its irritated her throat and i bet when she moves her neck it catches and pings hence the funny noise you keep hearing her make, I'd keep an eye on her if she doesn't improve then see your vet

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
If she pulls a lot on the leash have you thought about getting her an harness as that way it doesn't put any strain on her throat and doesn't cause any irritation?
The only problem with a harness is that she needs to learn how to walk with a leash. Zoe has no concept of where the leash ends and the only thing that ever brings her to a stop or slows her down is that she's choking herself. Putting her in a harness will only allow her to try and drag kalee around as she wishes...

I have a gecko...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

I am going to work on the leash training a bit in the back yard and stuff and if it doesnt get better than I am going to have to try a harness cuz it scares me to death when she starts doing that choking thing. So far she is a really good dog in just about everything except leash training.

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 09:36 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

try a gentle leader before you try a harness
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

what's a "gentle leader"?

I have a gecko...

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

It's like a harness used on horses. Instead of going over the chest and giving them something to pull on (much like a dog pulling a sled) they fit around the head and muzzle.
Our Shar -hates- a gentle leader, even to the point of refusing to go for a walk with it on. LoL. Then again, she -loves- to pull, enough that we are considering getting her a pulling harness to hook to a wagon so that she can pull the kids around in one. Lol
One warning with a head harness though.....be -very- careful when you walk them on one. Too hard of a jerk on the leader could possibly cause neck damage. Not that I have heard of such an incident, but common sense says it is a possibility.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I can't tell for sure over the internet but the description sounds like a reverse sneeze to me. Kinda sounds like a zipper? I know it is very common in Chihuahuas but I don't know about other breeds. It doesn't tend to be harmful ... it generally takes them only less than a minute for the attack to pass.

A number of things can trigger it ... I've noticed that sudden excitedness gets it started in my dogs a lot ...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:07 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I'm not sure if this is what you're describing or not but it sounds like her trachea is collapsing. BUT don't worry! This is common in small breed dogs and like elfomatic said, the attacks generally pass quickly. It's sometimes called a "reverse sneeze" but it's actually a tracheal collapse. What happens is the trachea partially collapses causing wheezing and coughing (it may sound like they're choking, snorting or can't get a good breath). It's generally most common in breeds like Chihuahuas, Pugs, Poodles, Yorkies, Poms, Pekes, etc.

To help the attacks pass quicker... you can cover their nose with your hand which causes them to breath through their mouth. You can also gently rub their throat (to get them to swallow a couple of times).

Excitement can induce an attack and it's also usually seen after the dog has been eating or drinking.

~ Jodi ~

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Part of the Pack

That sounds about what happens to my Pom, but it doesn't happen when he's excited or on the leash. He wakes up having these "attacks". It usually only happens when he is sleeping. It turned out that he only had a cold. Luckily it passed. I think that he may have some allergies as well though and the vet told me to dry his bed or pillow in the dryer for 30 minutes to get rid of any dust.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Miss New Booty

Jodi said exactly what I was going to say. It sounds like it could be a collapsing trachea. All 3 of my dogs do this occasionally, more so my 2 dachshunds. I talked this over with my vet and like Jodi said its very common and normal to see in small breed dogs. What breed of dog is Zoe again? I'm blanking out here..

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

she is a beagle.

I've been frosted!

Tags
breed dogs