Please help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Please help

hi,
i just adopted a new dog and she is taking the dominant role over my dog. My dog just recently came in shaking and sometimes they will growl at each other and nip at each other. We don't want to send the dog back because she will be euthanized. Please help!!! I need to know if this is normal and if there is anything i can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Sounds like they're just establishing a pecking order really... waht you describe doesn't sound like nasty fighting at all. My dogs who have been together for years do this once in a while. Unless your dog seems exteremely terrorized or is getting hurt I doubt there is much to worry over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 04:56 PM

Well dogs will naturally either take on a dominant or submissive role around other dogs, in my experiences anyway. I agree with Keritsubo, you shouldn't worry about it to much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Smile

thank you for your replies they have been very helpful.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 PM
RAT ADDICT

This is normal...your older dog is the dominant one as he was there first and so he is just letting the other one know this...

I foster dogs all the time and I often visit my family who live right around the corner from me.They have an 8 yr old terrier and everytime I bring a dog over, he always does this...a little bit of growling,nipping and snarling...but within a few hours they are playing and he accepts them...he is used to me always bringing new temporary friends over for him...but he is always boss as it is his territory!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 02:27 PM

i agree, i also just adopted a dog (3 wks ago) and we already had a beagle and they are still snarling here and there. my new dog is figureing out his place though. we adopted him from our vet and their advice was to let them go and not to get involved unless some one was going to get hurt. everything your dogs are doing is normal and i beg of you on the dogs behalf not to give up they will both come around.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

hey guys,
sadly we are bringing the dog back it killed one of our cats. so we are going to have to bring it back, but thanks for all of your help. we might get another one, but not until the summer when me and my bro dont have school
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

Wow!It killed a cat? I am sorry to hear that...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

yah,
it was a real shocker. SAdly, the dog will be put down when we return it. I feel like its my fault that a cat is dead and a dog is going to die its a lot to take in.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

You couldn't have predicted it... Sounds like he had a bit of an agression issue. I'm sorry to hear that it has ended up this way.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 08:04 PM

Poor kitty cat, im sorry to hear that. *tears for kitty and puppy dog*
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Sorry to hear how it all turned out.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

I also had to put one of my cats to sleep today you cna visit his Rip in memorials under RIP Red. hes the pic. on my avatar
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 07:55 PM

......I'm sorry things have been turning out so bad for you. And sorry that I couldn't help anymore...

Tags
older dog, poor kitty