Polie Dogs died in police car... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Polie Dogs died in police car...

... due to heat. I feel so terrible hearing this news, it is too unnecessary..

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090702/...r-dba1618.html

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Thats terribly sad I told my mom and she said "Policemen should know better than that!"

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Betta Bomb

Seriously, police SHOULD know better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Adolescent Pup

The same event happened in Turkey 2 days ago. 6-7 german shepherd dogs died in a car. I think that policemen have no brain...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Part of the Pack

Seriously? Some people should be trusted around animals...

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:27 PM
RAT ADDICT

Sigh...I am so tired of people leaving their dogs in way too hot cars! People are not allowed to leave kids in hot cars,so the same rule should apply for dogs.....

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Are you freakin' kiddin' me???? A police officer??? They are supposed to help prevent this not cause it. Unbelievable...

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:38 PM
can't think of one, help

That makes me very angry

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Heard about this on my news.
And i bet cause their police officers they will get it easy? Sure!

They should be ashammed of themselves.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Sigh...I am so tired of people leaving their dogs in way too hot cars! People are not allowed to leave kids in hot cars,so the same rule should apply for dogs.....

The same rule does apply for dogs. I found a separate article. Saying that the handler is being investigated, which means that they'll probably prosecute him/her for leaving the dogs in the car. There are laws that protect animals and even the police aren't above that. Obviously they can't confirm or deny anything yet but I'm sure action is being taken.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I would feel so terrible if that happened to me, but I know that it NEVER will.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

It is always underestimated how quickly a vehicle can reach a lethal temperature, leaving windows slightly open is not the answer, on a hot day, leave them home where they can be comfortable, the officer responsible was not on duty at the time.....
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Police officers are people. People do dumb things. Therefore stuff like this happens to everyone. It's more disappointing when a police officer does it because we hold our law enforcers to higher standards. This doesn't mean that ALL police officers are stupid or that they don't care about their furry partners.

Going from a strictly economical angle, a police dog costs a lot of money to train, so losing one in a stupid way like this is detrimental to the police departments. Most departments don't have a huge amount of money to lose like this.

I've known several "k9" officers personally and they all treat their dogs like family. Most pet owners wouldn't dream of leaving their dogs in a car on a hot day. Just as most people wouldn't forget their kids in a hot car, but it does happen.

This is a very tragic event and I hope that the officer is disciplined accordingly. I think several weeks of leave without pay would be appropriate. The police in that location also need to go over their policies about dogs in their cars. I don't think animals should ever be left unattended in cars.

[edit] This also reminds me of a story:

I used to volunteer for the police. My city had free outdoor concerts in the summer and many people would park their cars out in a field nearby so they could go to a concert. As security at the event, we would check the cars for animals and children frequently during the concert. One time we found a dog in a car and it was well over 100 degree Fahrenheit. The police officer I was with didn't hesitate to break out the window of this car to get the dog out. He was starting to get overheated and we were lucky to get him out quickly.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

Last edited by marmilla; 07-05-2009 at 07:02 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 04:07 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmilla View Post
Police officers are people. People do dumb things. Therefore stuff like this happens to everyone. It's more disappointing when a police officer does it because we hold our law enforcers to higher standards. This doesn't mean that ALL police officers are stupid or that they don't care about their furry partners.

Going from a strictly economical angle, a police dog costs a lot of money to train, so losing one in a stupid way like this is detrimental to the police departments. Most departments don't have a huge amount of money to lose like this.

I've known several "k9" officers personally and they all treat their dogs like family. Most pet owners wouldn't dream of leaving their dogs in a car on a hot day. Just as most people wouldn't forget their kids in a hot car, but it does happen.

This is a very tragic event and I hope that the officer is disciplined accordingly. I think several weeks of leave without pay would be appropriate. The police in that location also need to go over their policies about dogs in their cars. I don't think animals should ever be left unattended in cars.

[edit] This also reminds me of a story:

I used to volunteer for the police. My city had free outdoor concerts in the summer and many people would park their cars out in a field nearby so they could go to a concert. As security at the event, we would check the cars for animals and children frequently during the concert. One time we found a dog in a car and it was well over 100 degree Fahrenheit. The police officer I was with didn't hesitate to break out the window of this car to get the dog out. He was starting to get overheated and we were lucky to get him out quickly.
You made the point better than I ever could!!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

I also think this officer should never be allowed to handle K9's again.
After all if it was a normal person they would be either given a heavy fine, or a jail sentence.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."

Tags
police dogs