Polo trying to dig through the carpet - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Polo trying to dig through the carpet

Seems like twice a day now Polo plants himself right in the middle of the living room and begins digging at the carpet.

It's not the spot where he sleeps, it's not even a spot that Samson "had his mishaps" on.... It's simply the middle of the living room where everyone walks and right in front of the TV everyone watches lol

He digs and digs and if we didn't stop him I fear I would be able to see China by looking down the hole in my living room floor...

So I'm concerned for the carpet and confused by his actions... If it were a lil dig in a spot he intended to lay down in I might understand but this a "big dig" like he wants to make a hole...

The carpet isn't very old either.... we had it replaced about two years ago so I KNOW that there is only concrete and padding under the carpet (probably with some unknown "dust bunnies" lol)

Thoughts or ideas?

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Sounds like there is a scent there provoking him. It doesn't necessarily have to be another animal's. Out of concern for the carpet I'd clean the spot with some sort of carpet shampoo and see if it makes a difference.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If it continues, do you have a spot in the yard you could dedicate to Polo's digging?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 12:33 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Deb, Tito did this when he was a pup. He would dig on his little doggie bed and on the couch and on the carpet. I would distract him when I would catch him and give him a toy. I still catch him doing it occasionally (once every few months or so) but he seems to be *over it* for the most part. I'm not sure why he was doing it... My big dog, Manto, loves to dig outside but he never did it in the house. Odd.

~ Jodi ~

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Wanna know what happens if you don't notice the digging till it's too late?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 035.jpg (59.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 036.jpg (48.7 KB, 13 views)

Dimaris

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh gosh, I hope you can get him to stop. Rusty (rabbit) often tears at the carpet, but he's easier to control than a big dog like Polo. Keep us updated!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

The dogs do have a "digging pit" outside... Polo has yet to dig anywhere outside though.... we def stop him as soon as we see him doing it but those carpet pics are exactly what I'm worried about....

I may also try tossing a throw rug over that spot...

- Deb

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

That's not a carpet.. 8( That's my bed... LOL Odie was in so much trouble when I caught him! You should see him when I appeared and found him doing it was like "oh S***, hide!!!*

Dimaris

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My White Shepherd did that and my mom put a rug there and it stopped. hehe. But....I was sleeping one time and woke up to a hole in my carpet. That was Link though, and after he tore the carpet out he quit.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My Lacey dug a hole in my kitchen carpet.It is under the table, thank goodness! It seems like she does it just to try and make it comfy for her.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 03:45 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

what i would suggest is cleaning the spot/area with a vinegar/water combo to get rid of ANY scents. who knows what's under there to HIM. then i would take some double sided tape and cover the area with it. dogs hate the feeling of their bodies sticking to anything, so this may help.
if all else fails, go get a darn rug.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Newborn Pup

hmm my puppy digs on my futon too. i'd have to distract him but he goes right back at it

My little trouble maker...

DOB 7/6/04