Polo Update: Remember Polo? :P - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Polo Update: Remember Polo? :P

I've been sooooooooooooooooooooo busy it's insane... actually it's literally driving me insane! Even now, I'm just being angry and stubborn and taking a moment away from what I "should be doing" to accomplish what I have been "wanting to do" which is give you guys an update e.g. "ME TIME" LOL

Polo has been VERY SICK these past couple of weeks. He blew out his left ear drum and is on predisone now as a last ditch effort to get the swelling down in both ears... his right ear is so swollen doc can't even see the ear drum...

He's been put under so they can clean his ears etc....and we ran the allergy tests to see if that could be the cause...

For the vet tech types that want to see the pics taken before and after the first ear cleaning they can be viewed here:
(Note: they are gross so if you 'gross-out' easily don't look)
http://www.picolio.com/Gallery/album10

Sure enough.... We found out that he is seriously allergic to dust/mites and all types of ragweed. Ragweed being something we have a LOT of in and around our yard

He'll be starting injections to work on the allergies and I bought a fancy [expensive] WONDEFUL Dyson vacuum to assist with the housekeeping along with some hepafilters etc to work on the dust allergy issue some more.

Does anyone have experience with the allergy injections?

Any alternative non-drug medicating techniques to make life easier for him?

And just to hold true to my nick name here's a pic of Polo looking generally irritable and sick

-- The MIA Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 01:41 PM

Poor Polo! I hope he gets better soon, give him a big hug from me. I hope everything works out for the best. Why does everything go wrong for you? Thanks for updating.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh no, poor pup! I hope he starts feeling better soon!

I take quercetin supplements for my allergies and it has helped wonderfully. I ran a google search for 'quercetin canine' and came up with this:
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/Querce...h_p/110001.htm
Quote:
Quercetin enhances anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, and aldose-reductase inhibiting effects. Quercetin chalcone demonstrates no toxicity or mutagenicity.

Bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme mixture, displays a number of biochemical activities in addition to protein digestion, including inhibition of platelet aggregation, fibrinolytic activity, reduction of pro-inflammatory prostaglandin formation, mucolytic properties, enhanced wound healing, and cardiovascular and circulatory enhancement. Ideal for inhalant allergies.
Might be worth a shot!
Here's another site that supports the ingredients:
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/1...infections.htm

http://www.accentonpethealthcare.com/dog.html
This site recommends grape seed extract to help with allergies.

Give him a scratch for me!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

oh of course i remember Polo!!! i'm so sorry that he's sick. poor boy. please give him a big kissy for me and let us know how he is.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 03:27 PM

Awww, poor Polo!

I know I'm a human, but I took allergy shots as a kid and they worked wonderfully!

Oh and about the Grape Seed Extract? I have a lot of birdie friends that swear by it, I know it's a great antioxident.

I hope he feels better soon!!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM

Awww, Poor Polo! 8(

Well, I don't have any experience with allergies and pets... but... my sister is very allergic to a lot of things (gave me a big scare last month, thinking she was allergic to Odie!). Well, last week she started with the vaccines again... After some weeks of testing different things the allergist found out that she's severely allergic to... dust and mites! That's adding to her other allergies: oranges, MSG (a preservative found in food) and vinegar. Well, the doctor gave her a list of things to do to help with the dust/mites allergies. I don't have it here, but in the weekend I could have access to it, and type it here for you. It may give you some tips that will help you controlling the dust in your home. I remember that she said something about putting a plastic cover (like those for kids that pee on their beds) on her bed, to prevent the accumulation of dust in the mattress. I'll check the list later and post about it.

I hope he starts feeling well very soon and I hope to see you around PT more!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 03:46 PM

Red face

Poor Polo! I hope he feels better soon? Big hugs Polo!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 03:53 PM

Poor thing. I'm really glad you found out what was wrong with him. I'm incredibly new the the dog thing (my first is now almost seven months), so I don't really know what works for dogs to be able to give advice. The only thing I wonder is whether or not benadryl would help some. I've heard it's okay for dogs to take that?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Wow ... That poor baby. :hugs3: Give him some get well kissies for me.

The information Steph provided was great ... It could be worth a try if the shots don't help much.

I've never seen a dog allergic to ragweed, dust, and mites! Hunh ... You see something new every day, I suppose. It's good you found the source of the problem, though!

I hope Polo (and you!) start to feel better soon!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

We remember you Deb! I hope that Polo is feeling better soon...hopefully you guys figure something out that will help him out. I have never had allergies and other than flaky skin on Har during the season change, and hives on the Bub from his regular boosters, we have never dealt with allergies like that. I hope it is something that can be fixed pretty easy...at least enough to keep him out of pain and a happy pooch. Good luck!

And awesome that you got a Dyson...I hear they work wonders!

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! And yes, I am looking into pillow case and mattress covers.

I have been "window shopping" at http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/ to gain more ideas of how to handle dust allergies.

The Dyson DC14 "Animal" is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gawd I felt SOOO DIRTY after I started vacuuming my home with it LOL. My old vacuum... ummm...errr well let's just say it DIDN'T SUCK but the DYSON SUCKS BIG TIME LOL

When I first got it, "to give it the big test" I vacuumed really really slow and over and over again on half of my living room with my old vacuum. Then I swooped over the area with the Dyson Really fast... I filled up the canister with dust/dirt/fur right away with the Dyson! I was shocked. It was like being at an old Kirby demonstration lol.

I spent the entire weekend vacuuming my home, furniture etc lol. I am a shamed to admit how much "stuff" that vacuum picked up LOL. And the Dyson "Animal" really is AMAZING when it comes to fur. It grabs it all up like nothing. As someone with three dogs and a cat fur is a big deal lol.

I swear to you, me and the kids were all bare foot hopping from "Dyson Floor" to "Old Vacuum Floor" exclaiming how different the carpet FELT lol The Dyson is just that good!

If anyone reading this does have an allergy problem in the home and is able to put out the money for a Dyson -- GO FOR IT!!!! --- VERY VERY WORTH EVERY PENNY! I just wish it didn't require "so many pennies" lol Even if you're just a clean freak or are struggling with shedding animals.... Dyson is worth it!

I read something else disgusting while trying to understand Polo's situation better. It's not really the "dust" that people/animals are allergic to. Nor is it the "dust mites". It's actually the Dust Mite Poop that people/animals are allergic to.... LOL go figure

The hardest thing about Polo is his refusal to be examined. He's had to be anestisized a lot in the past month to be able to be examined by the doctors. BUT he has also made great strides in that he WILL now let me put ear drops in his ears. Before there was no way to do it..he'd get too violent. Now he just wrinkles up his nose and acts like he his holding his breath waiting for me to get it over with lol. But he stands there, with no effort on my part, and lets me ..so we are getting there

I've never really had to deal with allergy problems so this is all new to me ... and I too almost laughed when I found out what he was allergic to. I mean come on... a dog that's allergic to dust and weeds? What's up with that? LOL

Poor guy has been through the ringer though. Everyone who does have allergies knows how miserable it can be when they are flared up and ol'Polo has it bad...

Thanks again for the support and any suggestions that may be yet to come!

Deb
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:08 PM

Red face

I have the DYSON DC08 ANIMAL, its similar to yours, except its a cylinder one..

http://www.dyson.co.uk/range/feature...el=DC08-ANIMAL
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
I have the DYSON DC08 ANIMAL, its similar to yours, except its a cylinder one..

http://www.dyson.co.uk/range/feature...el=DC08-ANIMAL
Yeah but people probably thought you just bought it cuz it was purple

Unlike me who bought it cuz it WORKS GREAT .. then again, my favorite color is purple and I had to convince hubby that it wasn't the reason I picked the Dyson
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:18 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
Yeah but people probably thought you just bought it cuz it was purple

Unlike me who bought it cuz it WORKS GREAT .. then again, my favorite color is purple and I had to convince hubby that it wasn't the reason I picked the Dyson
No! That definately wasn't the reason!
The Animal has a lot better suction etc than the normal ones, I also have a upright DC01, which still works and I use it occassionally..
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:57 PM

Deb, I have missed you and your updates. You must be buried in work! How could I forget Sir Polo? Poor guy! Having a blown ear drum is no fun at all! No wonder he looks very grumpy. I hope with proper medication, his allergies will be under control. As for the pictures, I found them fascinating. The pictures of the ear drum that have a of black, is that ear wax or is it truly the blown ear drum? Very interesting!

Tags
vet tech