poop, ohh yyeeaahh - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

poop, ohh yyeeaahh

So I was wondering for some time on this: better quality food = less waste right??
Coco used to eat Cycle Natural old man food but the manufacturer stoppped producing it so I had no choice one night then to go out on a whim and buy a totally new brand, Purina One reduced wieght with glucosamine/chondroitin. Since it was such an abrupt change in his diet he had diarrhea for a week or so but now he's doing his poop only once or twice a day rather than like almost 5 times aday on the Cycle Natural!!! Also, his figure has been re established and he looks leaner and sleeker (for a 12 year old) rather than a chub-a-lump(though he was uber cute as a chubber)....So any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Adolescent Pup

Wow....Cycle must have been a really REALLY bad food...because Purina One is a awful food as well...

check out this site www.dogfoodproject.com

If you can't afford to feed the super premium brands like
Innova
Wellness
Fromm
Solid Gold
Canidae

then I reccommend switching him to something mid grade
Nutro Ultra
AvoDerm
Merrick

Stay very far away from grocery brands like Iams, Eukanuba, Pedigree, Purina, Science Diet
these foods, although they say they are a weight control or light formula, the foods actually have too high of a fat and carb content to benefit a dog over time.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

OMG - I'm so used to you talking about your rabbits, I couldn't figure out why you were giving your rabbits dog food, until I looked to find where this was posted...LOL! I was all, "But...rabbits SHOULD be pooping around 5 times a day!!" Apparently, even though its the early afternoon, I should have slept later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-the-...ed-breed-puppy
Here says Purina 1 is alright. But I do appreciate your comment, Riddick, I did glance at the more "premium" brands in Pet City but I am too poor and smart to put in 20-25$ on a 5 lb bag of food. I did once have Coco on vet food on advice of my vet but it made him ill so thats when I put him on the Cycle. He likes the Purine One and so far I think theres nothing too wrong with it...But like, he was on store brands his whole life minus the 2 months on vet food- so what would be the benefit?

*** ^-^ flickering! I found that funny!! Of course my bunnies and their poop certainly dont worry me!! They put out tonnes and tonnes of that!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

In all seriousness, Purina One has made a TON of dogs sick. Here:

"
Morgan of Barnhart, MO October 19, 2009

I have a lab and he was being fed Purina One and had developed fatty tumors all over his body I now am feeding him Iam's he is much more active at 9 yrs old and healthier. I also have a Border Collie- Blue healer puppy that had ben fed Beneful and has a dull dry dandruf coat I now feed her royal Canine and she is very healthy. I also have horses that I hsd fed Purina feed as well and I was not happy with the results I switched them to Nutrena and they love it and I have totally different horses.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/...#ixzz0YyFWpk85"

"
Thomas of West Covina, CA October 7, 2009

We have been using Purina One to feed our dog for over 2 yrs now. The last bag was where the problem started. We always pour the entire bag into a sealed plastic container, and we don't pour new bag in until the container is empty and be cleaned out. As I was pouring this bag into the container, at a split second I thought I saw something black moving inside food. I thought I was just imagining things. This morning, as usual I grabbed the scoop that sits inside the container to take out foot for my dog, only this time my finger felt something weird underneath the handle. I took a look, yes it was spider web...and as I inspect it closer, I found at least 20-30 little worms with webs around them on top of the lid, inside the scoop handle...it was gross. Now it all came back to me that I did in fact see something like a spider in the dog food as I was pouring them out of the bag. I stopped feeding my dog immediately ...and I will never buy from Purina One ever again. After reading other's complaints, I am not alone.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/...#ixzz0YyFnwDB3"

"
danielle of tucson, AZ August 20, 2009

This complaint is related to my complaint against Purina One Large Breed Puppy due to the exact same problems. I live in Arizona, and my friend lives in Colorado. We were both feeding Nature's Recipe puppy. We were talking on the phone about our dogs being sick when we realized, it was the same sympoms. Very watery diarrhea, that shoots far, vomit the same color and smell. these dogs have not been around each other at all, yet all her dogs and all mine were very very sick.
we stoped using it and then they were fine, until I started them on the second bag of Purina One Large Breed Puppy, it all came back after they were normal. I believe these foods are related, and I plan to comfront the company.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/...#ixzz0YyGGdCGx"

All of those complaints can be found here:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/searc...fairs.com%252F

Keep in mind - those aren't the only complaints, either, there's a ton more.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

purina one is CRAP
I honestly would never feed that.

I am also usually VERY tight on money. I get Taste of the Wild for my dogs. it is a good grain free dog food that is rated to be a 5 or 6 star dog food. (6 out of 6 stars) http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...zmap=201107408
Ingredients:
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweat potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I used to feed Diamond Nats. it is a very good price for the quality. it isnt a great food, but its leaps and bounds better than purina one. http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-car...40-lb--5054575
Ingredients:
Chicken meal, chicken, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, cracked pearled barley, powdered cellulose, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ratty_ratkins; 12-07-2009 at 12:32 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

Purina one.

I put in bold the ingredients you should research. I would not feed them.

Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), animal digest, calcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, caramel color, calcium carbonate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

and there is this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpL65thMCY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za_0KHQnjEY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ratty_ratkins; 12-07-2009 at 12:40 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't feed Purina one either. There are some foods out there that are a lot better and not too much more expensive.

Keep in mind that usually premium dog foods are higher in calories. So you are feeding a much higher quality food, with better ingredients, and you are feeding less of it. So although it is more expensive, it can last a lot longer than other foods.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh that's terrible, my friend feed with Purina One. The best if possible to you is to switch to raw diet..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

I opened my petstore about three months ago and the only food we carry is Orijen. It was awarded the #1 Dog and Cat food of the year. It's really really good stuff.

I use this site a lot for checking other brands: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Purina One: 1/6 stars http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ct=261&cat=all

Orijen: 6/6 stars http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=2299&cat=all

Here's their website if anyone is interested: http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/

If you click on stores, you can see if there is one near you that sells Orijen.

I'm not trying to brag or advertise or whatever...just sharing cuz this food is awesome and some people haven't heard of it before!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a fan of Wellness Core. It's also a 6 out of 6 star food on that site, and is grain free. It's worked very well for Kitsune even though he has quite a few food allergies. It's more expensive than other brands I know, but Kitsu is small and doesn't eat a ton of it a day, so it lasts a long time for us.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Part of the Pack

I've been feeding blue buffalo which is probably middle ground. They don't poo much but when they do you can smell it across the yard. I've been questioning if it's right for my dogs. Any thoughts on Blue?

A vet a long time ago compared the grocery store varieties to feeding your animals fast food.

It's all about finding a brand that works well with your dogs system. What you may spend in premium food is supposed to reduce your health costs in the future. You should see it in the skin condition and the quality of the coat.

I hope you find one that works well for your budget and your dog.