Poor Dog Trap In Cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Poor Dog Trap In Cage

I have friend who live in Berlin, is name of him is my friend Hans. Hans have many many dog, maybe I think he have 10 dog. Hans is very nice guy and is good frind of me but he has one jack puppy who he keep lock up in cage. He say is going to put juck puppy down because he bite. Is so strange to hear that he will do that because he love dog and jack puppy is just a puppy, he tell me that dog is dangerous, that he do something call the "hand-test" on dog and he bite. Jack puppy name is Nanda, here is photo of her from last month:

hand-test is where you give dog food in bowl and you put rubber human hand close to food that she eat to see if she bite, if dog bite rubber hand than that mean that dog must be put assleep bacause is dangerous dog to be around human. I pray with Hans I say please do not put jack puppy to sleep, is so sad, is so cute a dog. I don't know what he will do, he love dog so much but IDIrk must put the pressure on him all the time to say no do not put down jack puppy, is only little puppy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

That is very sad, hopefully he can make the right decision and try to train the puppy instead of putting her to sleep. Puppies are easy to train with positive reinforcements. He should really try letting her out of the cage...if she is constantly in a cage and has no socialization with humans, that could be why she is acting that way. He needs to train her that people are friendly and loving by teaching her love. If he really wants to save this puppy, he can. I really feel bad for the poor baby, no animal should be caged that much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 02:33 PM

LOL... how stupid this is... the puppy in the pic must be 6/7 weeks old... *shaking head* I thought I'd seen it all but, I guess I hadn't! Someone needs the arse slapped *nodding*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Wendy - Is not fair on Hans, is not fault of him. What Hans do is adopt many puppy and care of them until he hope he can find home for them with good people. In Germany the shelter for dog is very bad and very cruel. What Hans do is good and he rescue many many dog but with jack puppy Nanda in the picture is different, in shelter they do test on Nanda and they put label on her that she is not allow to be around human and they schedule her to be put assleep. Hans protest and he take dog but law say that he not allow to take out around the human people, is the law, he must keep her in cage, is so stupid. Hans hate it as much as Dirk hate it. Dog is older now than in that foto, hopefully Hans can do something to take care of Nanda, as you say maybe he train her not to take bite out of people.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww poor little Nanda. I really hope that she isn't put down just b/c she is a playful little pup. She is still so young that she can easily be trainned not to bite. She is just a pup and pups do bite and play, they must be taught not to. I really hope that Hans is able to keep her and train her to be a well behaved little gal!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 09:44 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, Dirk. It really is sad that something like that might happen. I hope that Hans can make a difference for the puppy.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Well people, I talk to Hans on telfone earlyer today and he say that Nanda will be all right, is going to send Nanda to Uncle house in Cologne, is so stupid, he has to get license for Nanda and pay money to get control of dog, law in Germany so silly, all Hans want to do is save dog but they say no is too dangerous. He is going to train Nanda to say no to bite at human, hopeful Nanda will grow up not to do the bite, is such cute dog, I'm glad she not put to assleep. Uncle of Hans in Cologne has farm and have no child, if Uncle of Hans had child authority would not allow Nanda living with Uncle of Hans, but thank to gods Nanda has good place to go and not have to be lock up in cage, Nanda is only one that can be of freedom but then it hurt to think of the million of other jack puppy like Nanda lock in cage, is not fair. All you can do sometime is pray that dog will be alright. I will try to get new picture of Nanda from Hans and post it so we see progress Nanda make. Love and Peace - Dirk.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm sorry, but none of this makes any sense at all to me. That puppy (as Wendy pointed out) can't be more than 2 months old.
There are temperament tests that can be done on young pups, but I have never heard of putting an artificial arm into a dog's food bowl to test it's aggressiveness. There are many other more reliable ways to test for aggression.
I'm sorry if I don't understand the situation here, but I'm with Wendy....
it's laughable and someone does need their arse slapped

I'm sorry, I don't mean to make light of a potentially serious situation, but something isn't adding up here

[center]

[
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:59 PM

I honestly don't understand how a 2 month old puppy can be aggresive to the point of euthanasia.... ???
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

You are all very very much true in what the thing is you try to say. In Germany is so different, people don't think like is only a puppy, there is so many jack puppy stray or have no house, people want to exterminate as many jack puppy as they can so dog pound will not be full of the clutter. Dog law people, they think of money and cost to have dog first before thinking of life of the jack puppy, it is only through the intervenece (is that right? sorry! I mean say someone who step in, I can say in English but not good at the writing) of person like Hans that some puppy can be safe. Believe Dirk when he say Nanda with no Hans would be gone this day. I ddifferent way to do the thinking than this country, is cruel, but of course it go on here to, we just don't see it mucher than Germany.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 07:46 AM

Deja ... the test is fairly common here in the US ... although it is not regularly performed on puppies. Most ASPCA's perform this test among others with dogs before allowing them to be adopted out ... they show it on Animal Planet all the time ... They don't euthenize a dog for not performing well ... but it can't be adopted to homes with small children.

Last edited by elfomatic; 03-30-2004 at 07:49 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 12:20 PM

I think what is tough is Dirks bit of trouble with english. It makes what he is posting sound almost as a joke. Although it may very well be true. I will admit though, even I do not know what to make of the story yet.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Elfomatic, I know they use that particular test on older dogs to test for food aggression. I should have worded my post differently to say that I have never heard it being used to test food aggression on a 7 week old pup. It just didn't make sense to me.

Dawsons Dad, I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head. The language hurdle does make what Dirk is saying sound less than serious, and almost joking.

I am so sorry if my post offended anyone. It's never my intention to insult, make fun of or hurt anyone's feelings for any reason. If I have, I truely apologize.

The entire subject is puzzling to me.

If I try to think about it rationally using what I know about dog behavior it makes sense to me that a dog who hasn't had any socialization, but has spent his life in a shelter cage with little or no interaction with people or other animals would view a rubber arm on a stick coming at it a threat and would naturally lash out to protect itself, especially if the puppy was very hungry and not secure or sure that he'll always be fed.
It's also possible, based on the temperament and age of the pup, that the dog would view the rubber arm as something to be curious about and investigate it with his mouth. That is what young puppies do.
I believe without the full story and all the facts, this may remain a mystery, as it just doesn't add up to me.

Dirk, where did you get the picture of that puppy? I could swear I have seen that picture before somewhere else. Just curious

[center]

[
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 04:03 PM

Smile

i agree with deja. But i do feel sorry for the poor puppy. But luike other people have said the puppy can't be more than 2 months old so i don't c how the fake hand thing can work?! The puppy could be going though what we do, teething(don't think it is spelled correctly). And not to be mean or anyt thing but your friend probley needs to handle the puppy and take it out of its cage more. Maybe bitting is its way of getting attionsion! Talk to your friend and maybe buy the puppy something like a tennis ball to keep in its mouth as like i don't know something that it is aloud to bite and play with instead of a hand.

Tags
animal planet, dog food, food bowl, older dog