Pooters has SDS (Small Dog Syndrome) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Pooters has SDS (Small Dog Syndrome)

My Chi/Pug mix keeps attacking the bigger dogs whenever they get around me. He really needs to stop, because most of the time he does that, it starts a fight right in my face. I've already been bitten in the face I don't know how many times by dogs, I don't want it again. Typically if I hold him back and pet the other dog, he'll calm down, but if after I pet the other dog they try to get closer, he goes crazy. Seriously, what does he think his little 9 lbs self is going to do with a 35 lbs and a 58 lbs dog?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My first dachshund Louie escaped out the front door once when I was little and chased a German shepherd across the street!

Try putting him on his back when the other dogs come around. It sounds like some sort of dominance issue or guarding behavior.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

He bit me a minute ago when I tried to separate him and Logan. He still attacks when he's on his back.... He loves my rats though and my guinea pigs when I had them..lol

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

gee wiz! have you tried holding his muzzle? when my pups get out of control I gently hold their muzzle. It's supposed to show dominance. If he keeps attacking I would employ someone else's help and have both both dogs on leashes and correct as needed. You could also try a spray bottle with water in it.

--------------------
~Marcia

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

If I try holding his muzzle, he bites me. It's a little hard to do the whole "controlling the dogs" thing when you have four and they all come over to investigate the commotion. The spray bottle doesn't do anything for him either. The person we got him from said that he wasn't breathing when he came out of his mom. I think something is wrong with him. He'll be laying down next to me and just stand up and start barking at me.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

lol... I'm sorry. He reminds me of my youngest pup. I seriously think he's mentally damaged or something. You can probably relate to this:
Rusty (the youngest, otherwise called "devil dog"..."diablo"...etc) was being a turd so I took him down on the floor and put him on his back and grabbed his muzzle. Harvey (my older pup) who was previously ignoring us, lept from the couch and ran in between my legs. Keep in mind that I was on all fours on the rug holding rusty down. Out pops harvey from under me and starts licking my nose... it's hard to be the alpha with a dog trying to stick it's tongue up my nose!

Have you tried taking Pooters on a walk by himself? Is there any way you can stop him from sitting on the couch with you? I know that's a hard one, but it can help get across the signal that you are in charge. Maybe you could send 2 of the dogs outside and have pooters and another inside only for a training session. I would have pooters practice allowing you to pet the other dogs and doing some sort of correction for bad behavior and rewards for good behavior.

Does pooters sleep in your bed? That's another thing that can make him feel in charge. If he is, I would suggest crating him or getting him his own place to be.

--------------------
~Marcia

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

See that's where the problem is. We don't have a yard. We live in an apt, so we can't put the others outside. Right now we just have Nina, Pooters, and Logan staying with us. Angel won't come along until we move, which will be the first week in July if our loan goes through. And Pooters doesn't walk on a leash. He's broken collars and harnesses freaking out on a leash. He's fine until he gets scared and then he pulls really hard and is gone. Yes, he sleeps in bed with us, and he's fine in bed as long as he's the only one under the covers. I'd hate to keep him in a crate at night because he's in one all day.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Salamander Buffalokisser

Maybe just keep him out of the bedroom at night that way he's not crated and it could help with the freakouts..

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

We can't trust him out in the house unsupervised.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur