Potty Training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Potty Training

Hi everyone,

We've been trying to potty train Belle since we first got her, but haven't been successful yet. Our method was using pee-pee pads, and as the picture i posted up indicates, she is not eliminating on them, but instead sleeping on them.

Everytime we see her in sniffing around and 30 min after meals, we immediately take her to the training pads. She tries to get out of them, but we put her back there for about 20 minutes. When she doesn't go, we let her step out of the pads, and then she eliminates on the floor 5 minutes later.

And, when we do catch her about to go to the bathroom on the floor, we state a firm "NO" and take her to her pads. But, when she's on them, she doesn't do anything but stand, regardless of the fact that we stay there 30 minutes until she went and she was about to use the bathroom a couple minutes earlier. When she leaves the pads, she elimates about 5-10 min later.

I REALLY want her to be potty trained especially since she's still young and all, but have had no luck. What potty training does your dogs have? Does any one method work better than others? I would greatly appreciate any comments that you all may have.

Thanks.

- Melody
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by melody; 06-29-2005 at 02:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 04:50 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

hola melody.

quick question:

is it absolutely necessary that belle use pee pads or can you take her outside? outside and inside are VERY different, much more so than a pee pad and the floor. she probably thinks of the pads as her bedding now and that's why she won't pee on it.

i would suggest getting a crate. first of all, she will then think of THAT as her bed and will not go to the bathroom in it. then, when you take her out, you can take her outside (or to the pads if you have to) and try to get her to go. you should have a phrase (like "go potty) that you say everytime she is to go to the bathroom. then if she doesn't go in about 20 min, put her back in her crate. she will soon learn to not go in her crate cause it's her safe place and her bed.

please read the sticky on crate training here in the dog section before starting, though. it is vital that you introduce belle to it in the right way so that she likes the crate. she will of course, whine a little at first, but she will warm up to it and like it if you introduce her properly.

it sounds like you are doing everything right except letting her roam around after not going on the pads when you know she has to. this is where a crate would be helpful. also, you are right in not letting her move while you are telling her to go potty. if you do start taking her outside, do NOT walk or play with her first. make her go potty first. and don't let her roam all over the play to look for a spot. just pick a spot and stay there. otherwise you'll end up having to take her for a walk everytime just to get her to go. they are smarter than you think!!

good job on what you are doing otherwise, though! you are trying very hard it sounds like. and i think most everyone here knows how hard it can be to potty train a dog (or a kid for that matter!). haha! good luck! let us know how it goes.

(ps. i'm sure there is stuff i've left out. so someone else should fill in. sorry!! it's almost 5am here, though. haha!)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Like Jane said, I would suggest trying the crate training. It is a wonderful way to help in the housebreaking.

If you must use the wee wee pads then try putting her poo on the pad after she's done it and show her. I know it doesn't sound like it would help, but if the pad smells clean she'll continue to see it as her bed.

Keep in mind, she's still very young and you haven't had her long. Housetraining is a process, especially for small breeds. The quickest I've ever housetrained a dog was in a week and that was with my Shepard. Patience is key here.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my little yorkie was hard to train, heck shes not even fully trained yet, but that was because of the way she was as a puppy, they taught her to go on the linolium, they were never aloowed any where else but all in a cage on the kitchen floor, so she goes on the sidewalk alot lol...we have had her 4 years now and still its hard for her to go on the grass although she is doing it more now, we had a concrete square out in back and she used that forever...when shes in the house we just shut doors to the bathroom and block the kitchen so she runs to the back door to go out lol my other dogs were all so easy, Lady had only 1 accident in the house and puppers had a few when he lived with my brother bu none here...the pee pee pads never worked for us, my dogs all wanted to sleep on it to so we just opened the back door and thats where they go

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Also, you want to makes sure the kennel is only big enough for her to stand and spin around in. Any bigger and she may pee in the back and sleep in the front (Happened with my cocker spaniel).

Also, when she does go potty where she's supposed to, make it a HUGE deal. Get extremely excited and just say "Good girl "go potty"" (or whatever you want your command to be) over and over and give her treats, make it playtime afterwards,etc.
I personally use the command "potty outside" so when my dog goes outside i make a big deal and say "Good girl potty outside!!!" and when she's inside and goes I tell her "No! Potty outside!" and immediately put her outside in her pen.
Also, we've trained her to go tot he back door and bark when she has to go. When she does that we ask her" Do you want to potty outside?" and then she'll bark and we put her outside then reward her. Almost like going outside is a priviledge for her. Works pretty well!

Alicyn

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer
my little yorkie was hard to train, heck shes not even fully trained yet, but that was because of the way she was as a puppy, they taught her to go on the linolium, they were never aloowed any where else but all in a cage on the kitchen floor, so she goes on the sidewalk alot lol...we have had her 4 years now and still its hard for her to go on the grass although she is doing it more now, we had a concrete square out in back and she used that forever...
That's was Belle is like; she doesn't like to use the bathroom on the grass as well. When we do go outsite and I tell her to potty in the grass, she sniffs around, but then starts to play with me. I've only seen her go on the grass twice, and the rest of the time we're outside, she goes on the cement.

- Melody

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 01:49 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

if your dog starts to play with you instead of going to the bathroom, do NOT engage your dog. only say, "go potty" and look away. do not say anything else.

you will find all of the info about how to choose a crate size in the "sticky" here in the dogs section.

alicyn was right about the crate size, though. juuust enough room to stand and turn around. that's it. not too small, but don't give the dog room to pee on one end and sleep on the other.

also, when she goes where you want her to, do not remove the mess right away. leave it there for next time. dogs want to go in the same spot, over and over.

let us know how it goes!

Tags
cocker spaniel, crate training, potty train, potty trained, potty training