potty training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

We have an 11 week old jack russell that we have been potty training for about three weeks now. At first she was doing alright with the potty training but now it seems like she doesn't want to go outside anymore. We take her out every hour and stay out there with her for up to 15 minutes sometimes. When she does go outside we give her much praise and a doggie treat. But most of the time it seems like she is just waiting to bet back in the house to poop under the kids bed or pee under the kitchen table. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to make her do her thing outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

15 minutes? My dog is going to be 2 this year and sometimes it will take him up to 40 minutes outside before he will poo.

My rule with Seamus as a puppy was: you don't get to go inside until you pee and poop. And if this meant going on a 40-50 minute walk around our neighbourhood (since I lived in an apartment at the time), then that's what it took. But you must have patience. Seamus finally figured out that we weren't going in until he had his bowel movement, so after a few weeks of this, he finally started taking less time.

Also, at 11 weeks, I wouldn't expect your puppy to really be potty trained. Some dogs are not fully potty trained until they are 7-8 months or older! It's just like potty training a child--some children pick up on it right away, and other's don't. It just takes patience--EVENTUALLY your dog will get the hang of things.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:42 PM

My pups are 12 weeks old and they go "Potty on Paper". We keep them in the bathroom with a half door at night and let them out during the day. So far, they've only forgotton where the paper was a couple of times. I just catch them in the act and say uh uh and put them back on the paper in the bathroom and praise like mad when they do potty on paper. If it weren't so darn cold and snowy outside I'd try and teach them to go potty outside. But like pihlaja said, most dogs won't be fully trained until 7-8 months. Lucky for me, I work at a motel and people leave lots of newsprint behind as I go through so much of it, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

My wife doesn't want to do the newspaper thing because my 1 year old daughter would tear it to shreds. It seems like daisy, my puppy, refuses to go outside. I took her outside to go potty tonight when I got home from work and she refused to leave the porche. Than when I braught her in the first thing she did was pee on the floor.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Walk her on a leash. This way, you get in great leash practice, she will be forced to come with you and walk around in the grass and not stay on the porch, you can see when she uses the bathroom and also you will be there to check to see if her feces are normal, etc.

If some dogs are not forced to walk around and use the bathroom outside, they won't.

Also, I didn't mention it previously, but when she has an accident inside, DO NOT make a big deal out of it. This will just upset the dog and make things worse, NOT better. If you catch her in the act, pick her up and take her outside and put her in the grass and say something along the lines of "In the grass. Potty in the grass." If you don't catch her in the act, it's too late to fuss at her. Just clean it up and forget about it. If you fuss at her or rub her nose in the mess, this will not help in training her to use the bathroom outside like you want. At best, it will upset her and slow the training process even further. At worst, it will make her fearful of you and even defensive.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
jack russell, potty train, potty trained, potty training