Potty Training Adult Dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Potty Training Adult Dog

Hello All, thought I'd get opinions on our situation.
We have a 4 1/2 year old springer spaniel who was never house broken in her life. She is from a kennel living situation where all the dogs can eliminate whenever and where ever they want to. We have had her for about 6 weeks now, and for the most part she is doing great. She's mostly house broke, and hasn't peed on the carpet (or pooped) for at least two weeks I'd guess. The last time she went in the house was right by the door we allways let her out to potty. The problem is, she pees in her crate, every time we put her in it for the night. If we let her sleep in our room she goes all night without an accident. She loves her crate and goes in it all the time to take a nap or stay out of our way when household activity gets busy, and to eat and burry her treats, roll on her blankets etc. It's gross every morning the blanket in soaked in urine and she's lying right in the middle of it!
I think she understands we don't want her to go on the carpets, the bed, the hard floors, the rugs cause we have caught her and scolded her and we praise her lavishly when she goes outside. We just never catch her when she pees in the crate so maybe she doesn't see it as wrong. I KNOW she can hold it for over 8 hours, and we make sure she goes right before we put her in the crate for the night.
Any suggestions? we would prefer not to have dog smelling of urine and needing a bath every morning.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adult dog, crate training, peeing, potty