Potty Training (cont.. cont..cont.. lol) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Potty Training (cont.. cont..cont.. lol)

Dog in question is Samson the rottweiler puppy.

He's now 3 months old and NOT potty trained.

We do not use a crate..though I've read a ton about it and how much it can help with the potty training...it just wasn't something that would fit well with us and not something I felt would fit well with a rotty...so that's out for our situation...

FWIW we did try the crate in the very beginning..and kept it small as was recommended but it resulted in a stressed out puppy who would then be covered in urin and feces cuz he doesn't seem to mind going in "his den".

We do take him out at LEAST every hour...but we have not yet scolded him for going in the house unless we CATCH HIM IN THE ACT.

We read a ton about how the days of taking the puppy to the mess and pointing it out to them to scold them were old fashioned and not considered correct anymore so we've tried to not do that but what we are doing is def not working. He seems to have no clue at all that going in the house is a bad thing....

Taking the dog to the mess and pointing it out has always worked for me in the past and I've considered going that route again... unless you guys have another idea? Do any of you still do this?

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 06:19 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I know a lot of people say that is old fashioned, and really, it is! But when I was training a yorkie puppy that, honestly, REFUSED to be house trained, that was one of the only things that worked. I never rubbed her nose in it, never spanked her (she might get a tap on the behind if I CAUGHT her in the act), but if she messed and it was still FRESH when I found it, I would show it to her and tell her that she was a BAD GIRL and that she shouldn't do that. Then I would put her in her crate for 10-15 minutes while I cleaned the mess.

I believe you should never let them see you clean the mess--they will start to think you are just their own personal pooper-scooper!

Some people (my fiancé included) swear by paper training, too. I personally don't like it, but it is something to consider, also. And no one has said anything about it yet, but there are also those pee pads (haven't tried those, either).

I hope everything works out! Sometimes with training dogs you have to go with your gut instinct on what is best. Good luck!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Tags
potty train, potty trained, potty training