Pregnant Pooch Help!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Exclamation Pregnant Pooch Help!!!!!

I have a dog that is pregnant, this is her second litter but she has gotten pregnant by a different dog. I don't know exactly when she got pregnant but I know it has been almost 2 months ago. I need to know the signs of labor, please someone help me on this. I need to know what signs to look for. I already have her on the back porch in a quiet area, along with a box already ready for her and she gets food and water back there and supervised pottying time outside. I am so afraid she is going to explode. She is alot bigger with this litter than she was her first litter, but her first litter she only had 2 babies. Someone help me on what signs to look for. The vet won't be in until Monday. I need your help.

Leslie and Victor

~*Mother and Father Of 2 Boys*~

Xavier (9-26-02)
Joshua (12-19-03)

Our Ferrets Fuzzball and Smokey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Every dog shows different signs. The major ones are nesting and restlessness. If she's that big you might be able to see her contract too.

When the vet gets in you need to have her xrayed to find out how many pups to expect. That will help you be aware of any possible complications. It will also show you if any are lined up in a breech position.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Her milk bags sag very badly, but she is bloated like crazy. I know her babies are alive because I can feel them move around perfectly without pushing on her belly. She really looks like if she got any bigger she will literally pop. She has been sleeping alot, and she is so big when she lays on her side she can't get up, I will have to roll her over. When I let her in from outside she will run straight to her box and lay down, this is the second day she has ran inside and went straight to her box. So I was thinking anyday now, but I am not sure and I was wanting to know the signs to look for.

Leslie and Victor

Xavier (9-26-02)
Joshua (12-19-03)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

If its been two months it should be any day now. Watch for the nesting.

I suggested the xray because if she's that big there could be complication. She could be retaining fluid as well. I'd also recommend having her spayed when the pups wean.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah, I am going to get her spayed when the pups are weaned. I have one more female pup in the yard, but I am going to let her get pregnant one time and then I am having her spayed (it will cost more for her to be spayed). She is a chocolate lab and golden retriever mix. She looks like a black golden retriever. She is so beautiful.

Leslie and Victor

Xavier (9-26-02)
Joshua (12-19-03)

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlleelee
I have one more female pup in the yard, but I am going to let her get pregnant one time and then I am having her spayed (it will cost more for her to be spayed). She is a chocolate lab and golden retriever mix. She looks like a black golden retriever. She is so beautiful.
Please don't breed her!! Do you know here in Connecticut we are having dogs shipped in by the TRUCKLOAD from the midwest and the south because there is a terrible overpopulation problem in both places. They get sent to New England to find them homes. Many have terrible skin diseases and...it's just a mess

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I am not going to breed, her, but our vet won't spay her until she has one litter. I am gonna wait till she is older, because she isn't a year old yet. She just came out of heat 3 days ago. My pregnant pooch is in labor right now. She has been in labor for about 6 hours now. She is slowly progressing and I am keeping a close eye on her. Thank you for all of your responses. Also, CTchin, all the dogs that I have I keep, I don't get rid of or let them loose. I have a big fenced in yard, so nobody around here has anything to worry about.

Leslie and Victor

Xavier (9-26-02)
Joshua (12-19-03)

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
I am not going to breed, her, but our vet won't spay her until she has one litter.
You're kidding me??? I didn't think there were any vets left on the planet that believed the old wives tale that a dog needs to have one litter before they are spayed

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Removed due to federal age requirements

Quote:
I am not going to breed, her, but our vet won't spay her until she has one litter.
You're kidding! That's absolutely ridiculous! I say find a different vet. That's horrible and un-just. Do you know why he won't spay her? That will do nothing for pet overpopulation. Ask him why, and argue! That's just dumb!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

He said that it can make her go crazy when she gets older. That is out of his own mouth.

Leslie and Victor

Xavier (9-26-02)
Joshua (12-19-03)

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
He said that it can make her go crazy when she gets older. That is out of his own mouth.
I'm sorry but he is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Brenda
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Removed due to federal age requirements

Oh, and to add to what signs to look for, Chrisanne is right. Every dog is different. When my dog was in labor, she started vomiting. So, just in case, keep paper towels handy. I hope I helped! =)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

FIND ANOTHER VET!! This one is CLEARLY not capable of providing proper care to your animals! It doesn't matter how 'pretty' your dog is. We don't need any more mutts in this world!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well, I didn't ask yalls opinion on whether to breed my dog or not. Sometimes mutts are prettier than the real breed. I know I need to find another vet, but the closest vet is an hour away either way I go. She had the babies. She had 4. 3 looks like their daddy and the other 1 looks like their grandma.

Leslie and Victor

Xavier (9-26-02)
Joshua (12-19-03)

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Well, I didn't ask yalls opinion on whether to breed my dog or not. Sometimes mutts are prettier than the real breed.
Congrats on your puppies.

I just want to say one more thing and I'm done with this thread. I work in an animal hospital and I hold PRETTY MUTTS as they are euthanized. They come in from the area dog pounds and noone wants them. Do a service to your animals and spay them. Did you see my previous post about truckloads of dogs coming to New England from the south and midwest to find homes. If everyone in the midwest has the attitude of you and your vet, no wonder there is a severe overpopulation problem! It is very sad to me that there are people out there that still don't understand the importance of spaying and neutering their pets.

Brenda
Closed Thread

Tags
animal hospital, chocolate lab, golden retriever