The Price of a Neuter - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

The Price of a Neuter

I was wondering how much it generally costs to neuter a dog?

I was under the impression it would not be too costly here for me to have Seamus neutered since he's only a small-medium sized dog. And I thought it would also be cheaper since neutering is a more simple procedure than a spaying.

But, when we called to make an appointment for Seamus to be neutered, we found out it was 210€ (US$270.50)! The cats were only 80€ (US$103)! Now, I understood it would be a little more expensive than the cats since Seamus is a bit bigger and more anaesthesia would have to be used, but over 100€ more? Wow.

So, his neutering will have to wait a few more weeks (probably 2 weeks tops) until Sami's next big pay check.

But, I was just curious what the regular price of a neuter is in your area? I've never had a dog neutered and I was just wondering ...

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Part of the Pack

Wow, that does sound like a lot! My Vet said it would be approx $185. I'm sure it will be more, its always more. However, $270 seems a bit high.

Luckily when we had Coral spayed it cost us $25.00 I guess some Vet's charge the $25 if you rescue an animal. That was lucky for us! We had more to spend on her toys!!!

Joey has an appointment on his 6 month birthday to be neutered.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Well, Max's neuter cost $165.00...but it was more than normal with him though because he had a retained testicle and had to have two incisions, the second in his belly...Im not sure what the cost would be if he had had a normal neuter though...maybe $100-$120 or so??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I was expecting it to cost around 120-150€. Seamus has normal testicles so there's no problem there.

It's not that I won't have it done because it's expensive, but man! It just has to wait because it is expensive, kwim? Of course, if it were an immediate emergency, I'd get out the visa ASAP. But this is just a neuter that can wait until we have the money. I don't like us having to strap down for two months afterwards in order to catch up after a big purchase of something because we bought it when the money was low. So, later this month I'm hoping Sami will have a good paycheck from the overtime hours and we can get it done. I just wish Finland weren't so expensive!

I think when I go there, I'm going to ask the vet WHY is it so much more expensive. I'm almost SCARED to think how much it's going to cost for Kirby! He's much bigger than Seamus ...

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think Scandinavia is just expensive in general when it comes to pet care.
i have to take Indy to have that done soon and I am dreading the cost.
Most likely be more than what you are paying

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Naked Dog Mom

My boyfriend's mom paid for it and she gets a discount because the vet that she uses is a friend of hers. I'm not sure what she wound up paying, but I know when we asked our vet, it was about $100 or so.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Wow ... that is expensive. Where I live it depends on whether the dog is male or female (males being less expensive) and the size of the dog (smaller being less expensive). I think I end up paying something around $70 on average for the chihuahuas but I don't quite remember.

Are there any other vets where you live? Of course, you don't want to sacrifice quality or anything like that but maybe there are other good options. I know around here they have assistance programs if you can proove that altering the dog puts a legitimate strain on you financially but I don't know if that is available where you live ...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

It all depends on what's included. At my hospital, it's a 2 night stay, pain meds, IV, blood work, anestetic and the surgury all included-starts at ~$340. But you can go to spay and neuter clinics and walk out the same day for under $100. All depends on the quality of care you want for your pet.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Part of the Pack

There's a vet like 10-20 minutes from our house that charges $50 for a neutering I think. Either that or $30 since I know the neutering is supposed to be less than spaying. I don't really trust him so I haven't taken any animals there. My cat's vet charges over $200 but I got it for free because of my cat's wellness plan.

My babies...

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Neutering over here in the UK is around £60 for a male and a spay on a female is £120 plus depending on size. Over here they are in and out in a day and the main cost is usually the anaesthetic but normally everythings all included in the price including the check ups afterwards and medication for the painkillers etc....

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:41 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

My vet said it would cost $70 for Zoe to get spayed. but I dont know how much he charges for neutering. I cant imagine that it would cost that much!!

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

To have Maverick Neutered its gonna cost me about $150

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

ninja_smurtles, I bet it'd probably be around the same, only in krona (sp?).

Here, you take the dog home about 1 hour after the procedure. Finnish animal hospitals seldom EVER keep the animal over night, and they only do it if there were complications during the surgery. They give you pain meds if you ask but generally don't give them at all.

We called around to a few other animal hospitals and they are all relatively the same price, give or take a few euros. Here in Finland, they don't have the cheap spay and neuter places because spaying and neutering isn't that actively campaigned here. And when it comes to neutering (or spaying) a dog, most Finns never do it. It's frustrating, but that's how they generally are.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 07:54 AM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixx
It all depends on what's included. At my hospital, it's a 2 night stay, pain meds, IV, blood work, anestetic and the surgury all included-starts at ~$340.
I've never had a pet stay over night for neutering OR spaying. Nevermind 2 nights! They don't even give me pain meds when I go home. They just give them a shot before I pick them up and that's it.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

I asked my vet a few weeks ago when I had to take Scamp in due to a dog bite. He said it costs £95 (Scamp's a boy). That's $177 or 139 euros (No euro button on my keyboard)

Punish the deed, not the breed!

Tags
animal hospital