Primer Impacto: Animal He** - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Primer Impacto: Animal He**

Here is the translated transcript of the special by TV news show Primer Impacto. I translated it, so please excuse me if there's something that doesn't makes any sense. This articles have some edits made by Donna (member name, Dallas), who is an owner of 2 satos.The real article is here, if anyone knows spanish and wants to read it. In the next post, there's links to 2 videos of the show and their transcripts/translations.

Animal He**
In Puerto Rico it looks like it’s raining dogs and cats. More than 100 thousand hungry and sick animals wander the streets before the passive watch of the government and the island inhabitants. The Primer Impacto correspondent, Carmen Dominicci, researched the subject and present us with the special: Animal He**, an article where ‘man’s best friends’ are treated as the worst enemies of society.

Unprotected Animals

Many countries have problems of spray animals surviving on their streets, but out of all the countries in Latin America, Puerto Rico is, perhaps, the one that has fewer excuses. There, nobody dies of hunger and even the ones called poor can have some luxuries. That’s why, for many people, it’s incomprehensible that the island of enchantment is turning into an animal ****.

“A dog on the streets does not lives more than two years, a dog on the streets gets illnesses, fights with other dogs, procreate, which is, to me, the worst”, said Carla Capalli of the SPCA.

These animals live sick, without food or water, until they are run over. Only nature takes care of their dismembered remnants, like a shameful evidence of the insensibility or the authorities.

Man’s Best Friend?

“Citizens can’t pretend that the government solves all their problems”, is Anibal Torres’, Government Secretary of Puerto Rico, answer about the situation.

Administration after administration, government has diminished importance to the matter of animal cruelty. But this situation could be only a symptom of the number one problem of the country: Criminality. FBI and American Psychiatric Association researches have reveled that many criminals have a previous record of Animal Cruelty.

Even, this problem, that many catalogue as secondary, could be affecting the image and the pocket of the principal industry of the country. According to a research done by the Hotel and Tourism Association, Puerto Rico loses 23 million dollars because tourists say that they won’t return to the island until the problem of stray animals has been solved.

But, it looks like the Government Secretary doesn’t know about these discoveries: “I don’t think that this bad image of Puerto Rico Exists, I don’t think that a tourist would take with him a bad image of Puerto Rico because he’s seen stray animals on the streets,” said Torres.

Precisely, the cases of animal cruelty got to a point that it was necessary to mend the law. “I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time, but there was an incident of a dog that was burned [which was made public] in the newspapers pages, and I said, we are going to do something bout it”, said Eudaldo Baez Galib, the senator that set in motion the amendment. This was Blackie - his story was all over the newspapers. This is the first case that they actually procecuted on.

Now this law catalogues animal cruelty as a serious crime, and thanks to it, two persons where found guilty of burning and savagely beating a dog.

But, laws don’t serve much if the police don’t make people obey them or if the citizens don’t makes the corresponding denounce. The new governor compromised himself in front of Primer Impacto Cameras to do something about it.

In the four years term of office, one unspayed cat could generate more than 13 thousand cats. The problem is that on the streets of Puerto Rico there’s not just one, but 100 thousand non-sterilized animals.

Organizations that help

In a country where pets have turned into disposable friends and the government has been, to this day, negligent with the situation, several groups and individuals have arisen and have turned into real animal heroes.

Organizations like Save A Gato, satitos.com and the SPCA are some of these organizations that, even though they don’t receive a cent from the government, they are giving a lesson of how animal treatment should be.

Save A Gato managed to stop the Federal Parks System from sacrificing hundreds of gato that inhabit the area of the fortifications in Old San Juan.

“We gathered 4 thousand signatures, not only from Puerto Ricans, but of tourists, when they knew that they wanted to kill all the cats, we explained them that that is not a problem, but a situation and the only way in which this can be managed is by sterilization”, explained Lisa Gelabert of the Save A Gato organization.

This way, the cat population was captured, sterilized and returned to Old San Juan where they are now a “tourist attraction”.

But, Is there a future for the stray dogs? Save A Gato association assures that they can be rehabilitated.

“He had severe burns on all of his body. The dog was here for 9 months and recovered”, said Gloria Martí from Save A Sato. This was Rubio now know as Buddy. When he was found his skin was hanging off. The vet said to put him to sleep. Gloria would not give up. Every bath he got, he wagged his tail more. He was sent to Massachusets last year, and is living the good life as an American dog.

You can also help

In this shelter, they don’t kill any animal, but they don’t adopt out to their countrymen either.

“During the 20 years that I’ve been working with animals, I’ve realized that puertoricans, and I’m puertorican, don’t qualify to adopt animals” Marti added.

That’s why, after they rehabilitate them, Save A Sato exports them to the United States. Evelio is a loving canine who lost an eye thanks to a kick he received, and he is already adopted by a Boston resident who didn’t care that he was missing an eye.

“A person’s junk is the treasure of another, our “sato” is the treasure of these people that have adopted them in the United States”, said Leilani Belléndez Save A Sato

The island of enchantment suffers of an animal problem, that multiplies by the hour. Births, cruelty cases, terrible deaths and horrible lives.

“The work that Save A Sato does is basically what the government should be doing, because if the government would have an animal control plan, of sterilization, population education, then we wouldn’t have the problem”, pointed Edilia Vázques, Director of the organization.

It’s urgent that the authorities make clear that denying them food and water, leaving them tied with a short chain, and not taking them out to exercise are all forms of cruelty, and that ignoring their suffering not only turns us into accomplices of this animal cruelty.

You can also help… to rescue an animal from the streets you can go to these websites: http://www.saveasato.org, http://www.spca_prayahoo.com, http://www.saveagato.com. These are non-profit organizations, associated to several international animal groups.

Last edited by Padfoot; 03-10-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

There are 2 videos. I made transcript/translation of them so you can watch them and understand what they say:

http://www.univision.com/content/co...48&cid=559141#p

“I was abandoned in San Juan cause I peed on the carpet”. This is the drama of thousands of dogs and this can be their end (dead dogs on the streets). The have procreated till they have reached 150,000, they live sick, without food or water, only nature takes care of their dismembered remnants, like a shameful evidence of the insensibility of the government. last in the priority scale, animals have been victims of bureaucracy: “Citizens can’t pretend that the government fixes all their problems”. Studies made by the FBI and the American Psychiatric Association have reveled that many criminals have a previous record of animal cruelty. But, isn’t the government the one in charge of education the citizens? Even, this problem, that many catalogue as secondary, could be affecting the image and the pocket of the country’s principal industry. “I don’t think that a tourist would really get a bad impression of Puerto Rico because he has seen stray animals on the streets”. He has probably not read letters like these, in which offended tourists say that they won’t return to the country because of this problem.

http://www.univision.com/content/co...48&cid=559141#p

In Puerto Rico it looks like it’s raining dogs and cats. More than 100,000 hungry and sick animals wander the streets before dying crushed in a highway. While a few are spoiled by their owners, thousands are abandoned to fate and they slowly agonize, exposed to human malevolence. In a strange mercy exhibit, many prefer seeing them suffering a miserable life before taking them to a shelter, where, in the worst of cases, they would receive a painless death. Having a dog presents a commitment of approximately 15 years. The average of time that a person in Puerto Rico keeps a pet is between 6-12 months. Organizations like Save A Sato, satitos.com, Save A Gato and SPCA are some of the associations that, even though they don’t receive 1 cent from the government, are giving them a lesson of how to make population aware of the problem.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:59 AM

thanks for sharing. it's wonderful the to see such an effort taking place to save the animals

Tags
animal control, animal cruelty