Is this a problem? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Is this a problem?

I've started Charlie on a crate training schedule.

She's been out a bunch of times however has only peed once which was four hours ago. I am worried b/c she hasn't gone at all.

Is that bad?

Also, she only poked at her dinner. I gave her about 15 minutes to eat.

Maybe she's upset about being in the crate a lot? Anyway, any info or advice would be great.

Thanks, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hi As I told you via PM, she really shouldn't be in the crate all the time. If you are home and able to watch her she really should be with you. You can put up gates or an ex-pen or set up some kind of "safe space" where you can interact freely with her and she can feel secure with you there. An area where she can be a puppy and learn as she plays. She needs lots of encouragement and praise.

There is no better time to form a trust based bond with her or build her confidence so she can develop into an affectionate, secure and obedient companion.

I really wouldn't worry about her skipping a meal or not eliminating for several hours - puppies aren't always predictable. As you spend time with her you will learn her habits and be able to predict her schedule with pretty good accuracy.

Right now she is adjusting to being away from her mother and littermates. You need to be the replacement. She needs to bond with all the members in your household. It will bring her comfort and security to be with you.

I'm assuming she is very young? How old is she?

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

just to add one thing - i would give her more time to eat. also, are you making sure her food is somewhat mushy? i thought i remembered you saying she was about 8 weeks. ??? if you are feeding her dry food (best thing!!), i would add a little water and maybe even microwave it for about 5 seconds. you might have better luck. i'd also give her about 35 min to eat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Playful Pup

my pup is only in the crate if no one is home that works best but no more than 4 hours at a time
love,
shannon
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

[/QUOTE]Hmmm...Maybe I misunderstood the crate training guide.

She is in the crate like...50-70% of the time. If I take her out and she 'goes' I praise her like it was the best thing she ever did and then let her play for at least an hour after which she goes outside again and then back into the crate.

Quote:
I'm assuming she is very young? How old is she?
10 weeks going on 11.

Quote:
i would add a little water and maybe even microwave it for about 5 seconds
She is getting dry food which stays down all day and the same dry food with warm water added to it.

The reason I have her in the crate so much is "preventative" and also positive reinforcement. That is to say, she hopefully will learn that she gets to play after she goes potty.

I have a baby gate but she was paper trained at the breeder, so I am concerned she will just eliminate wherever she pleases. My room is adjoined to hers so I can watch her but unless I am have 100% attention directly on her she can walk to one side of the room and do what she wishes. (E.G. If I'm posting or watching TV. . .she can just go in a corner and do her business)

Enlighten me. Should she be out and about more often? or is this good? I want her to turn out wonderfully so I want to do it right. Respond either in this thread PM me or contact me at AIM Sn: PurpZeY...

Thanks, Brian =D

Tags
crate training, dry food