A Problem with Name Recognition - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Question A Problem with Name Recognition

Hey all,
Have another problem/question to bestow upon your wealth of knowledge. Charlie still isn't responding to her name. She definately isn't deaf...first off she'll come if I whistle, she runs away from loud noises and she had a full workup at the vet and was pronounced in perfect health.

I just can't seem to figure out how to get her to respond to her name. If I say her name she just wanders along whatever path she was on before I said it. However if I whistle she comes right over to me. So, any help on teaching her her name would be very helpful. As of now although I know her as Charlie she doesn't seem to put 2 and 2 together.

Oh yeah also, she's 11 weeks and she's been with me for just over a week. She is not yet receiving any treats except for a tiny piece of cheese in order to take her medicine. I was told not to give her much of anything besides her food b/c she's so young. Also, she doesn't seem to like the treats our older dog LOVES. (beggin' strips...etc...)

Any info, questions, or comments gladly welcomed.
Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:24 PM

I woud think that just saying her name before and after the whistle (and always remembering to do this consistantly and praise her a whole lot when she does it right!) would help her to assocaite the name with "come here". After doing this for a while (Weeks, maybe months. Until she does it every time, or nearly every time) you could start taking the whistle out every once and a while until she eventually doesn't need it at all. Since she's so young though you should always remember to keep any sessions with her short and to the point, with lot and lots of praise.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:02 PM

It took my dogs a few months to figure out that "Levi" and "Myrl" were their names and not just mumbo-jumbo. :p I wouldn't worry about it. Give her some more time.

During this stage (teaching your pup her name) try not to ever associate her name with "bad" things. If she gets in trouble, don't use her name when you scold her. It can set the process back a bit. =\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

great point roz! don't associate her name with bad things.

you've only had her a week! dude dude dude...she's got time. mind didn't learn their names for a month or so.

just keep in mind that most things with dogs are a slow process. nothing happens overnight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 12:26 AM

I agree, give her time. Most animals take a few weeks to settle in before they begin to "learn" things like their name.

Maybe try small pieces of treat given only when she responds to her name. Give her less and less as the days progress and she does it more and more.

Tags
older dog