Pros and Cons - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Pros and Cons

Ok, so most of you know we're contemplating getting a dog, if our landlord ok's it. We're currently trying to decide between a dog and a chinchilla.. yes, I know, much different.

Anyway, help me make a list of Pros and Cons of having a dog (in a condo with a 2-year-old).

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:44 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

I think really it will be up to you to decide that. There are the general pro's and con's such as a calm dog and advancing Ry's learning via the dog vs. little room or no yard... But those things may or may not apply in your situation.

I guess that I think no matter what you will weigh heavily on the matter and make the right choice.

I'd say the most important thing is that Ryland be gentle with the animal, wether chinnie or dog. But from what I've seen and heard, He's a pro at being gentle already. Very cute signature by the way. My favorite of all you've had so far!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 09:00 PM
I Dream of Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christi
Ok, so most of you know we're contemplating getting a dog, if our landlord ok's it. We're currently trying to decide between a dog and a chinchilla.. yes, I know, much different.

Anyway, help me make a list of Pros and Cons of having a dog (in a condo with a 2-year-old).
actually this is really up to you but some that i can think of are:

PROS:
-another pet
-another stress reliever
-another baby
-another dude/dudette that could guard (?) the house?

CONS:
-added expense
-divided time
-house cleaning

A proud "DAD" to:

A very sweet/loving and affectionate female iguana named LIZ

4 unnamed 12 yrs old turtles...

A Sweet Bassett hound - Labrador mix puppy named Ringo

Lizard owners are SWEET LOVERS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Pros:
1 - Bigger, easier for Ry and you to interact with
2 - Diurnal, so it'll be awake when you are
3 - Assuming you go with a greyhound, they're generally calm couch potatoes and very loving, so it'll bond better to Ry than a chin

Cons:
1 - More expensive to maintain (flea prevention, heartworm prevention, etc)
2 - Need vaccines
3 - Need to clean up poo
4 - Potential to have to house train and obedience train, depending on the dog
5 - More time needed than a chin
6 - Potential for allergies for you

Stephanie

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 12:25 AM

i read somewhere a long time ago (i honestly dont know if its true and i couldnt honestly say that it was true) but sometimes children who are exposed to some things that cause allergies (cats, dogs, ect.) that they either will not have allergies or not that allergies wouldnt be as bad. well actually my mom told me this and maybe she told me this because she felt bad for not haveing a dust free house lol. but she said she read it. who knows *shrug*.

i got my dog when i was ten, and i love her i just couldnt take her with me to college (most appartments in seattle only allow cats and dogs under 15 lbs). she was a great companion during middle school when everyone was evil to eachother. i would sit there and talk to her and gossip with her because i knew she couldnt tell any one and she was perfect to cry around because she would try everything doggie possible to make me feel better (i miss lady) *tear*
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

It's true. Children who live with a cat and a dog are, I think, 50% less likely to have allergies. Thing is I have allergies! LOL Cats are definitely out but a dog I could handle.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I dont know any differences between chins and dogs...but I do know that dogs are such loyal friends...and that would be neat for Ryland to experience. When Mal was younger, even in to her teen years, we had a white german shepard mix named Bean...and Mal would do everything with that dog...if Mal was no where to be found, neither was Bean. Mal even always talked about having Beanie in her wedding. She had a really strong bond with Bean that no one else had.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 07:35 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Awww Melissa. You're gunna make me cry!!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

aww that's so sweet mal!!

I think the biggest factor will be time. As long as you have enough time to walk the dog, take it out to the toilet, give it the love and attention it needs etc. then you should be fine. And cause you're trying to have a baby make sure that you could handle a baby, a toddler, and a dog!!! I think a lazy breed will definently be the way to go (which is what you're looking at anyway...well at least you were!). They still need their loving and attention but they won't go insane if you don't walk them for three hours every day!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
german shepard