Pulling on the leash - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Pulling on the leash

The BEST thing for this is the gentle leader:

The Gentle Leader Headcollar offers a fast gentle way to control unwanted behavior. It will never choke your pet, and it is not a muzzle. If you have a dog that pulls on a leash, we highly recommend the Gentle Leader Headcollar. The Gentle Leader Headcollar works because it's designed to work with your dog's natural instincts affording behavior changes in minutes, not weeks. A great tool to teach your dog how to walk on a loose lead.

How Does It Work?

The Gentle Leader applies pressure to the back of the neck rather than the front of the throat. This means it works with your dog's natural relaxation instinct and has a calming effect. Since dogs tend to pull against pressure, the gentle pressure at the back of the neck causes the dog to pull backward, not forward. This means an end to leash pulling!

An internet search will lead you to many places you can buy one online. You can also get them at Petco, and probably your vet. Although at petco they are closer to $30 than $20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My friend uses these and she loves them. I have never used them, luckily, haven't had any Bad pullers.

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Playful Pup

Unfortunately those don’t work for my two pullers. They’ve both discovered how to get out of them.

We now use Halti No Pull Harnesses on both Chester and Millie. These have been an absolute life saver! They can’t wait to get their harnesses on and go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I used a Halti head collar on Nacho and it was fantastic! I have heard of dogs being able to get out of them....some people think that they are cruel but I don't see how...Nacho knew that the Halti meant walk time and that was always fun! If I get a puller again I will use a head collar over a choker chain for sure.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

This is some useful info! My Cookie is a puller and she gives me some good exercise... If I were to be keeping her, I would definitely have looked into these, I had never known about them.

Jessica

My zoo: 2 Ferrets named Natira and McCoy and lots of different fishies, snails, and african dwarf froggies.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

If your dog can get out of it, you're not putting it on right! =P
But, glad to see you found another alternative that is safe.
I love my gentle leaders, I always say, it's like walking a leaf!