Pulling our heart strings... - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 07:58 PM

I'm so, so happy you got her!!! Please keep us posted.

I just have a little concern. Don't mind me...I'm a terrible worrywort. They are putting her under anesthesia in this condition? Will they test her for heartworm first? I'm so worried for her because she can't eat the evening before and she won't want to eat until night time after the spay. At 17 lbs. I'm surprised they didn't put nutrition first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm so glad you got her Melissa!!!!! I can't believe she only weighs 17lbs....that's awful!!!! I'm a little surprised they are speying her when she is so underweight but I guess they must think she is in good enough health otherwise to cope with it.
I'm sure you guys already know this but you guys will probably have a lot of work to put into her to get her to trust people again. A really good way to help her is to give every guest that comes through your door some treats. That way when they enter your house they can offer a treat to her and every time she approaches them, or gets near them they can give her a treat....it will help gain her confidence!!!
The good part about bringing home an animal that is like that, is that they become so loving to those that treat them well and really really want to please the people that show them love!
The crate will be great for her! It will be somewhere that she can go whenever she feels a bit scared or out of her comfort zone.
I know she mustn't look good right now, but will you share a pic of her when you get her? I'd love to be able to watch her progress as you guys love and nurture (and feed) her so we can watch her grow into the beautiful boxer she should be!
Again you guys are doing a truly great thing!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #18 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

What a heart-wrenching journey! I am so glad it now has a happy ending!! I can not wait to see her!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

I thought the same thing about them spaying her already. I thought that they would maybe give us a certificate to get her spayed once she gained some weight...just because I thought it was dangerous to put such an unhealthy dog under anesthesia. I mean Im not a vet, so I dont know, but it still worries me a bit. Im sure they know what they are doing...but its still just something in the back of my mind that Im worried about.

And I meant to take pics of her today at the HS...but of course I forgot my camera. I will be taking some tomorrow nite when we get her and I promise I will post them Wednesday when I am at work.

And Carmen...I have never dealt with a dog that has been so abused...but Im gonna give it my all to get her to be a normal dog again. Im sure it will take a long time, but it is our goal.

post #20 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

OH and Brenda, she has already been heartworm tested...she is negative for them. She has already been given her boosters, a wormer, and her rabies vaccine. We have a certificate to take her to our vet within 14 days for a free check up, and if anything is wrong with her we are supposed to take her back to the HS to get her taken care of. But she passed the health check with the only thing wrong as being severely underweight. (Plus I wouldnt have wanted to adopt her yet if she wasnt tested for those things, just because I dont want Har and Max contracting anything from her...they are on heartworm preventative, but I still wouldnt want to risk it.)

post #21 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I know you will girl!!! I have never dealt with one so abused either....but I've heard many great success stories from others! You know we will all be here to offer advice if you ever need it too!!
I'm sure that this girl isn't the first underweight dog the HS has speyed. I'm sure that everything will be okay...we are all just worry warts but they must have their reasons for doing it.

post #22 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:49 PM

Yay!! I'm SOOO glad you got her!!
She sounds a lot like Roxie (pitty we had in rescue about a year ago) Roxie was also 17 pounds when she came in and she should have been about 35 lbs (she was severely malnurished and it stunted her growth) Just go slow and easy with her. Spend a lot of time talking softly and petting her while encouraging her to come out of the crate on her own (She'll probably make that her safety zone). With good food, love, patience and understanding, she'll probably make the best dog you ever had. They often seem to know when you save them from such a horrible existance and remember that all their lives. You and Josh ARE her knights in shinning armour! I really do think that once you break through that barrier, she will be one seriously devoted dog.
Congratulations! Can't wait to see pics!
post #23 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

I hope so. I really think that she will warm up to us eventually. Maybe even her watching us interacting with Harlie and Max will show her that we wont hurt her. But we will go slow...we dont want to scare her anymore than she already is.

I forgot to mention too..that whoever had her before had most likely bred her. The HS said that she looks like she has had a litter...her nipples are kinda big compared to Har's at least. Har's are just little dots...lol hers are quite longer...not pregnant looking longer...just longer than normal.

Also...with feeding her...we are gonna feed her Canidae...plus switching her over from whatever the HS is feeding her...but should I buy some wet food to mix in too...to make it a little more appealing? They said to feed her four small meals a day like a puppy until she is at a normal weight...but I just wondered if we should feed a little wet too...I know that Sweet Feed has Wellness and Canidae in wet food...and we are going there tomorrow and wanted to pick some up while were there if we might need it. Thanks!!

post #24 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I would guess it just depends on what she is used to...I'm sure, being her size, she'll probably accept any food offered to her. Adding wet food to her diet make make her poos a bit sloppier.....but then you don't clean them up anymore If you want to make the dry more appealing for her at first you could just mix it with a little bit of gravy...or with the wet food, but I'd try to give her a mainly dry food diet. I'm sure she'll learn a lot from Harlie and Max! Were they introduced today?

post #25 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Unfortunately we didnt get to introduce them, because they took a while to get to her temperment test, and we had to be somewhere by 4pm...but they said that she passed with flying colors with dogs, so at least we know that. And we know Har and Max both do very well with other dogs of both sexes, so we arent extremely worried about it...I really would have liked to have them meet today, while she isnt feeling as crappy as she will be tomorrow...but we will have to make do with a small meeting through the baby gate tomorrow when we get her home so they dont overwhelm her, then we are going to let her have the kitchen and our bedroom to relax without them on top of her every second. After she heals, then I wont worry about them all three together... but for now we will just have to be very careful.

post #26 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:28 PM

Sounds like a good plan...I agree with Carmen though...she should stay on a dry kibble diet and with as underweight as she is, she'll probably eat just about anything you offer. Don't be surprised if she doesn't eat the first night...some dogs just aren't comfortable eating in a strange place. I would indeed offer her 4 small meals a day and probably get her on a multivitamin to help give her a boost.
One thing I definetly noticed when Roxie was going through her "scared to death, gonna just sit in my crate and shake" thing is, watching you interact with the other dogs will indeed show her what kind of treatment she might get from you...always love and understanding...it may take a while, but she'll come around. Roxie took several months, but she is now in her new home and happy as a clam. You wouldn't ever thought looking at her now that she was the same dog that came to us a year ago.
post #27 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:32 PM

Have you seen her do anything besides laying there barely responding? When you described her in your first post it's surprising they could temperment test her if all she did was lay there.

Hope she comes through the surgery okay.

As for the introduction: Maybe you should keep her totally seperate from the other dogs until she's had a night to recuperate from her operation and get used to things? And perhaps find some neutral territory to introduce them on?
post #28 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Miss New Booty

Awwww hon! I'm so excited and happy for you all! I know I already talked to you about it on YIM, but again I'm so extactic! You and Josh are going to give this girl a wonderful home! I know she will do great with you and your whole crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9101
We havent decided on a name yet...believe it or not, Josh picked out Jasmine!!!! I think everyone has a pet that name now!! Haha...but it hasnt been decided yet.
I can't believe he suggested Jasmine!? LOL! AWW!! You'll know better when she comes home what names fit her best.

I hope everything goes well with her spay tomorrow. She will be in my thoughts. I can't wait for tomorrow nights update!

~* Jackie *~

post #29 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Miss New Booty

OH and I see you! Get to bed so tomorrow comes faster, hon!

~* Jackie *~

post #30 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Thanks guys...I guess I'll go with no wet food then.

Thanks for all the input and advice too!! We definately need it.

We'll see how tomorrow goes and how she is feeling on whether or not we will introduce the dogs tomorrow. I really want to do whats best for her.

And also they gave me a copy of the notes from the temperment test, and they have a bunch jotted down...even a little note about when someone banged and slammed on the door, she stood on the other side wagging her nub instead of barking...so Im sure there was someone there that must have been interacting with her enough to gain some trust, at least enough to do the test I'd assume. (At our Toldeo Area Humane Society, where we got her...the lead trainer, Jeff, has actually been on an episode of Animal Planets Cell Dogs...and he had signed the tests paperwork too...so I trust his opinion.) But anyhow...I figure she is just extremely timid and shy with almost everyone else...especially Josh and me...who she has only seen twice. Im sure we sort of scare her, barging in her run, getting up in her space, petting her and talking to her and she is probably just afraid of us...we probably are a bit overwhelming to her...

Tags
adoption fee, animal cruelty, animal planet, dog bed, dog food, doing fine, dry food, humane society, local humane society, pet supplies, potty train, potty trained, stuffed animal, wet food