Pulling our heart strings... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Pulling our heart strings...

Ok here is the story...every once in a while, Josh and me go to our local Humane Society just to look at the dogs and cats...never really with the intention of buying another animal...just to go and get a puppy fix or play with a depressed looking animal...it is for us and for the animals...its just what we do...lol.
Well last nite we went...and we walked through...looked at a little brindle French Bulldog...it was the cutest thing ever...then we saw some other doggies...but then I walked up to a run, and inside of it was a tiny fawn Boxer. Was she a puppy? NO...she was just as small as a puppy because she had been abused and neglected. She is a confiscation case...a cruelty case. She looks to weigh about 20 to 25 lbs...when her normal weight should be at least 45-55 lbs. You could see every bone in her body, ligaments even. She just laid there on the cold cement floor. I knelt down, my eyes tearing up because of how sad it was...I stuck my hand under the cage door and pet her dirty foot...she lifted her head, looked at me, and then laid it back down, then she started shaking. I dont know if it was because she was scared or because she was cold. I just kept petting her leg and quietly talking to her, but she didnt really respond. Lifted her head a few times and would look at me, but no emotion really...then would lay it back down like the first time. She looked completely depressed.
I want to do very bad things to people that do this to animals. I just dont understand it at all how anyone could treat any animal like this...but what hit the hardest is that we have two babies at home just like her.
Well we go to the front desk and ask about her...on her run there was a sign that she wasnt available for adoption. They just needed to temperment test her. She will be tested by noon today. We and the dogs are going to meet her. Cross your fingers for me and Josh...pray that she is ok with other dogs and cats too. I really want this girl so she can know love. She has had such a horrible life...and I dont know why, but I feel like I should do it...I guess there is just a big part of me that is worried that someone will adopt her and do it all over again to her. She had such a beautiful Boxer face...though it was filled with sadness and hurt. I want to change that look on her face to a happy grining lovable Boxer smoosh. I know that Im sure you all think Im crazy because my home is just filled with babies already...but just cross your fingers for me on this one.
Welp I better get in the shower and get going. We are meeting her in 45 minutes. I'll post an update later this afternoon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 10:20 AM

That is so sad, the poor puppy!
I hope everything goes well and you get her. It's so wonderful that you are gonna adopt her.
post #3 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Miss New Booty

Awwww Melissa!!! That is so terribly sad! You and Josh are such wonderful people! I hope everything is going well with the meeting as we speak!! I can't wait for the update, I hope you get to bring her home, hon!!!!!!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Aww, I hope that you are able to adopt her.

Rhonda

post #5 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh melissa that is so sad. I so hope you guys can get her. That will be awesome for her if you guys can bring her home. You and Josh are such great people for opening your hearts to her Keep us updated! I'll be thinking about you guys all day.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 05:15 PM

awww Melissa that is so sad. I hope everything goes well, and she can come home with you. She deserves all the love and tenderness she would get with you.
post #7 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

that's so great that you are thinking of getting her! i hope everything goes well and that you get her!

post #8 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 06:31 PM

Melissa, that is such a sad story of the dog.. I really hope you are successful in adopting her, she needs to be in a home where people will look after her well, and give her the love she has probably never had.. Best wishes, keep us informed!
post #9 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 06:38 PM

OMG! What is it with everything making me cry today?? Poor baby!! I hope things work out and you can get her...she needs someone like you desperately!
If anyone else needs a good cry, take a look at this...not for the faint of heart, but if the media played this whenever reporting a pitbull attack, maybe, just maybe, people would learn what exactly they are doing to these poor babies.
http://www.deviantart.com/view/11454716/
post #10 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

mandie that link is sad. It's been posted on pt before....I think it was Brittney that started the thread. i sent it to the woamn I adopted Biscuit fromand she has it on her website!

post #11 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

and come on melissa the suspense is killing me!!!!!! What happened?

post #12 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 06:55 PM

Unhappy

I have seen that website before too Carmen! I saw it on a anti animal cruelty forum..
post #13 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

OK! I have an update!! They ended up not getting her temperment test until about 1:30 so we went and saw her at 2. She was up for adoption when we got there. And we immediately got her and paid the adoption fee. So yes, she is ours!!! We havent decided on a name yet...believe it or not, Josh picked out Jasmine!!!! I think everyone has a pet that name now!! Haha...but it hasnt been decided yet. We like it, but it just doesnt really fit her that well. We are going to try and think of some more. We want something that goes with all the other animals names, they all have people-like names...as of right now her name is Kibble...but I doubt anyone has even called her it enough to know it...she doesnt respond to it, she doesnt respond to much...When we went in this time, at least she was laying on her dog bed in her run...I went in and pet her and talked to her...she was so scared she was just shaking like crazy. I felt like me petting her was going to hurt her because she is just so frail. Me and Josh thought they would for sure be keeping her for a while at least until she put some weight on, but they said that she could go with us. Which Im not fighting them on it, just because we can help her with that in a loving home instead in a cold doggy cell. We found out some facts about her...she is 2...and she weighs 17lbs!! It was even worse that what we had figured. I feel so bad for her...and I really hope that she starts to trust us soon...I know as of right now that we just scare the crap out of her. She has scabs all over one side of her and her ears too...I wonder if she was being kept outside before she was confiscated...Im not sure though. So anyways...I guess I will stop babbling and get this post posted! Anyhow...we dont have her yet...she is being spayed tomorrow morning...we pick her up at 5:30pm tomorrow. We bought her a nice baby pink collar for her to wear home. We are going to get her a new blanket before we get her too. I got her a nice moose stuffed animal to keep her company in her new crate...hopefully she will be comfy with us...I know it will take time though. I just cant wait until tomorrow at 5:30!

Ok thats my update...thanks for all the good "get the Boxer" thoughts! They worked!
~Melissa

post #14 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 07:48 PM

That's wonderful that you are getting her! It's such a great present to give her, a second chance at life. I hope she improves in your care. Pics please?
post #15 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 07:52 PM

Red face

Congrats Melissa, sending you good vibes, for you, Josh and your new dog! Good luck..

Tags
adoption fee, animal cruelty, animal planet, dog bed, dog food, doing fine, dry food, humane society, local humane society, pet supplies, potty train, potty trained, stuffed animal, wet food