Pup Not Eating - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Pup Not Eating

Hello, this is my first post on here. Not too familiar with the process. I just had a question. I have a 5 month old Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff). He is awesome! He doesn't seem to enjoy eating though which I find strange for a Mastiff. We have gone through Pedigree, Bil-Jac and now Science Diet and he does not seem to like eating any of them. When we change him to a new food he'll gobble it up for about 3 days then fall right back into not eating much. Does anyone have any idea as to why? Is there anything that I can do to help his appetite? Friends tell me that a Mastiff normally eats any and everything in sight. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:21 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Is he getting table scraps? or other treats during the day? how much are you feeding him? how often?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I've stopped giving him treats in case I was ruining his appetite. That hasn't worked. He seems to be getting worse with it also. When I first brought him home he was actually eating more than he does now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 PM

Some puppies can get very picky from time to time, and if you try to cater to their whims you'll find you just can't keep up!

One of my Rottweiler males was a horribly picky eater as a puppy, and like you I thought that was odd for such a big, strong looking dog. Thing is he'd been spoiled as a tiny pup by getting fresh minced beef and milk straight from the cow (literally, he was born on a dairy farm)

Needless to say when he encountered dry dog food he was less than impressed. I tried to encourage him to eat by doing pretty much what you're doing now. I tried several different dog foods, and then graduated to actually cooking him things like scrambled eggs, with cheese and fresh beef for breakfast ..... what on earth was I thinking It didn't matter what I did, after a couple of days he'd just start picking at whatever food was flavor of the day, and I'd be back looking for something else to try.

When my kids started to complain that I cooked more for the puppy than I did for them I realized that it was getting out of hand. So I quit, cold turkey.

I went out and bought him a high quality, large breed puppy food, and filled his dish. That was it. Of course, he didn't hardly eat anything for days, but eventually he realized that he'd either have to eat this or be hungry. And guess what? He ate it, and lots of it. From that day, we've never looked back.

I'd been told that dogs won't starve themselves, and that they'll eat when they get hungry enough, but I was afraid to put it to the test, until I reached the end of my rope.

Well, I can tell you.... every word is true. Pandering to their pickiness, just encourages it and creates feeding issues and problems just as it does with babies and kids.

As proof, I can now tell you that the puppy in question is a 120lb adult, who looks as though he's never missed a meal in his life! Don't get me wrong, he's not overweight (that's VERY bad for Rotties) but he's at the top end of the height requirements in the breed standard, and he's a HUGE dog.

I hope this huge essay has helped you take the plunge and have the confidence to choose a good food (that's your responsibility) and then let your puppy choose to eat it -or not- (that's his responsibility).

best of luck!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Hola. I agree with the last post. He'll get hungry enough and just eat after a while.
I would pick a better food, though. I feed Nutro (found at pet stores), and other good ones are Canidae, Chicken Soup brand, and Solid Gold.
What I would do is mix a little (like, one spoon) of wet food in, and stir it up really well so that in order to eat the wet, he HAS to eat the dry. That *might* help.
Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Will It Ever Change?

we always used to add some warm water to the dry food, make it a little soupy then feed them, they loooooved that

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 03:38 PM

My dog used to be VERY picky. She would hardly eat at all!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBordeaux View Post
Hello, this is my first post on here. Not too familiar with the process. I just had a question. I have a 5 month old Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff). He is awesome! He doesn't seem to enjoy eating though which I find strange for a Mastiff. We have gone through Pedigree, Bil-Jac and now Science Diet and he does not seem to like eating any of them. When we change him to a new food he'll gobble it up for about 3 days then fall right back into not eating much. Does anyone have any idea as to why? Is there anything that I can do to help his appetite? Friends tell me that a Mastiff normally eats any and everything in sight. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
I realize this is an old thread, but I was wondering if your problem was ever solved? I am having the same problem with my Dogue De Bordeaux! She is 4 months old and has all of the sudden shown NO interest in her food! I am very worried. The vet gave us science diet ID canned food and she won't touch it. She also throws up the pills that they gave us, so now I am clueless. Thank you!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LylaRedwinesMom View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I was wondering if your problem was ever solved? I am having the same problem with my Dogue De Bordeaux! She is 4 months old and has all of the sudden shown NO interest in her food! I am very worried. The vet gave us science diet ID canned food and she won't touch it. She also throws up the pills that they gave us, so now I am clueless. Thank you!!
What kind of pills are they?

I would try a different food, Science Diet is kind of low quality and some dogs won't touch it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Have you tried natural raw diet? We fostered a very shy border collie before and doesn't like any food including the one he used to eat at shelter, good thing mom prepares meaty bones and veggies and he loves it.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
chicken soup, dog food, dry dog food, dry food, pet store, pet stores, puppy food, table scraps, wet food