puppies coming soon - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

puppies coming soon

Hey guys,
My sheltie is pregnant and the puppies will be coming soon. Does anyone know of some sings that will signal it is getting close? We already have a box set up for her to have them in and we're just biding our time. I'm so freaked out, this will be her first litter AND my first litter. My mom grew up breeding collies for a time but doesn't quite remember what happens. Thanks guys!
~Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

The most obvious sign is that they make milk. When they get really close they will hang out in their bed more, and when labor is about to start they usually are very restless and sometimes won't eat.

How many days pregnant is she?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Oh, and just a little advice......

When she does start having puppies, don't hang over her every second, especially since this is her first litter. I know alot of people stay right with the dog and keep poking around down there, but just leave her alone unless it's obvious she's having trouble. My dog actually stopped pushing when I came into the room when she had her first litter. I would strategically set the box up so I could peek around the corner without her noticing. When I saw a puppy come out, I would make sure the bag was off of it's head, then leave her alone again. When she would start pushing the next one, I would take out the first one so she wouldn't accidently step on it. I would put the puppies in a shoebox that had a heating pad under it to keep them warm. When mom was done then I would put the puppies back with her to nurse.

Just my opinion though.......

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Wow- that's so exciting! I hope everything goes smoothly and your nerves hold up! I'd be so anxious- and nervous too!

I read somewhere that there is a change in the dog's body temp -and knowing her temp and watching for the change is a sign of impending labor? Anyone else ever do this?

I'm clueless - but I can't wait to see pictures of your new babies!
Good Luck!!

[center]

[
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 02:26 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Here are some links for you:
What happens during Labor & Delivery
Canine Pregnancy
Whelping the litter

My yorkie mix, Snooper, had pups a couple of years ago and I was able to watch her give birth. I hope all goes well for the mama and pups.

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks guys. They mated on Aug. 15th so we're starting to keep an eye on her...not really expecting them quite yet. If I can figure out my digital camera I will try to post pics. Wish us luck, LOL!
~Jenn

~ MY ZOO ~
2 shelties - Blaze & Pandy

1 orange tabby - Max

2 guinea pigs - Peaches and Calli
1 chipmunk - Theodore (Teddy)

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 09:08 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

We always count 62 days from the first mating. It's usually pretty accurate. So you shouldn't have to wait much longer. The signs we watch for are "nesting", not eating, and restlessness.
How exciting for you! I hope everything goes perfectly, and -of course- we all expect a full report ! Complete with pictures if possible!

Sharon
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 11:16 PM
Sam
Playful Pup

Congrats!! I look forward to seeing puppy pictures! and hearing all the cutesy stories about them!

Kind Regards-Sam

Sam

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hehe, you guys are so cute. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.
~Jenn

~ MY ZOO ~

1 orange tabby - Max

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Good luck! Lots of good vibes going to your sheltie's way.
Make sure to post pics of the pups!

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well guys, I'm the proud 'gramma' to five little sheltie puppies, born this morning. Three boys and two girls. Luckily my mom was around for the first few, because she didn't clean the sac off the mouth, but she got the hang of it and had the rest with no problems. We're taking her in for a sonogram in the morning to make sure everything came out. Yay!
~Jenn

~ MY ZOO ~

1 orange tabby - Max

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 08:49 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Wonderful! It sounds as if everything went well - that's great !

But, beware - sheltie pups get awfully darn cute - it's gonna be super hard to part with them ! Have fun !

Sharon
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

awww! Congrats!! That's great news! :blob1:

[center]

[
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I know what you mean, Sharon. I'm already dreading it! LOL.
Thanks guys! We're really excited. Just gave mommy dog a bath to get her cleaned up, and everyone's doing great.
~Jenn

~ MY ZOO ~

1 orange tabby - Max

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww congrats!! I hope you post pics soon!

~* Jackie *~

Tags
heating pad