puppy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

Question puppy?

My sister is looking into getting a puppy sometime soon. She likes labs but they are really big and I dont think she wants one that big. We were looking at maybe a beagle but we just read the breed profile and it said they are not very good to have as a single pet and they are hard to train and dont have a good attention span....what kind of breed would make a good pet...it is going to be the only pet (unless my Baby comes with me but then my mommy would be sad) and my sis likes to go running or walking and she plays frisbee and stuff but she wants one that has an attention span and that she can train but it needs to be maybe medium sized...any ideas??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

also she would like something with not sooo much hair

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 08:49 AM
I Just Need One!

Well I was going to suggest a Sheltie until you mentionned that hair thing

Have you checked out those "breed selector" quizzes?

- http://animal.discovery.com/guides/d.../selector1.jsp

- http://www.ivillage.com/pets/tools/b...tions/dog/size

Also be sure to check out the cute shelter mutts.

Liana, Mickey, Sky & Rocket

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Proud New Mommy

I had a dachsund (spelling?) that was wonderful. She had a great personality and could be taught new tricks in less than 4 days. She was really smart and comical. They're smaller dogs but they're great... Mine (Sassy) loved to play fetch, so I bet she'd play frisbee, too!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

tough call.

i'd check out the local shelter first. Her perfect fit may be there

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Newborn Pup

Like Primabella Said-Well I was going to suggest a Sheltie until you mentionned that hair thing
Shelter Dog!!!!!You could find your perfect match there!!!
Or a Border Collie, though they are high energy.
Also a Collie-Wait nope, more hair than a Sheltie!!LOL
Shelter Dog!Shelter Dog!Shelter Dog!Shelter Dog!Shelter Dog!Shelter Dog!Shelter Dog!

-Katie
Shelties And Afghans Rule!!!!!

Dallas

Miare

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

we looked at a collie and thought everything about them would be good cept the hair....what she really likes is the white lab....she fell in love with Gambler but we think that they may be too big cuz her yard isnt real real big....but we are not planning on getting it til the summer when i move in with her so we were hoping to read some stuff and learn it and how to train it before we got one.

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Proud New Mommy

Definately!! I'd go to the shelter! Those dogs love you sooo much.. Theyre so thankful for you.. Forever.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

we will probably do that when it gets close to the time we are ready to get one.....does any one know of any good books to help learn about them and to train them....

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 11:13 PM
I Just Need One!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gecko
we looked at a collie and thought everything about them would be good cept the hair....what she really likes is the white lab....she fell in love with Gambler but we think that they may be too big cuz her yard isnt real real big....but we are not planning on getting it til the summer when i move in with her so we were hoping to read some stuff and learn it and how to train it before we got one.
You know there *are* Smooth Coated Collies. They have less hair and are just as gorgeous!

Liana, Mickey, Sky & Rocket

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 01:22 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Have you considered a Brittany? It sounds like the Brittany may meet a lot of your requirements. They are wonderful, social, loving little dogs. Medium sized with short coats that really don't shed and only require once a week brushing.

They are in the Sporting group and have a lot of energy, but they do just as well as house pets as long as they get some reqular exercise. I think this is true of most breeds though, because total couch potato dogs tend to get fat, and that can generate some health concerns. Brittanys can make a good apartment dog too bause of their size - as long as they do get a chance to be outside for some good tiring play

I love my Brittany so much! He's the most loving and adorable, cuddle bug. He was very easy to train. There are pictures of him at varying ages all over the forum

I am so interested in and attached to this breed now that I can't wait to be able to have another.

Here is a Link I found with some Info Be sure to read the FAQ - good fast info is there

There are Brittany Rescue Organizations in every state, as well as good Breeders - that would be a good place to get information. and also a Brittany if you wanted to get one.

Good Luck on whatever your sister decides on

[center]

[

Last edited by Deja; 11-30-2003 at 01:25 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 06:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Talking

She liked my Gam Gam, how sweet.
I bet she could find a lab mix that would be of smaller size but looking like a lab. Labs are so common now that it wouldn't be that difficult .
There was a young 3 yr old Brittany advertised in local paper here for only 25$. have no idea why they don't want him but i guess someone will luck out.
Welsh Corgies seem like a nice smart breed, smaller and some hair ,what cute pups they are too.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:02 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Gecko, a good book you could read to help you to train a pup or a dog you have had all your life is The Dog Listener, by Jan Fennell, there is a lot of information in her book, it relates a lot back to the wolf pack, so it makes you understand better why dogs do things they do, and what you can do to become the Alpha. Its very interesting and there is a lot of knowledge in it. Its a great book, and I would recommend it to anyone who owns a dog.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:17 AM
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Shelter dog!! Shelter dog!! Shelter dog!!! :blob1:

Rocheal's right -- they are forever thankful for you and will give you love allll the time.

And you'd be saving an innocent life...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

Thanks guys for all the help!! I will look around for that book next time I am in Barnes & Nobles or Hastings too!! Thanks!!

I've been frosted!

Tags
border collie, lab mix, local shelter